Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What Mac Mini would you recommend?

Yeah, this is a bit of an odd thread. But I was looking at virtual options for Mac computers and the prices were....just not it. I pretty much just need a server that I can host stuff to, and also for music, programming, app development, etc.

Which led me to the Mac computers. But since I don’t really need a screen, it was down to the Mac Pro, a Hackintosh, and the Mac mini. Seeing as I’m about mobility, the Mac Mini makes the most sense, as it is a single component which is sturdily built. Plus, with Project:Catalyst on the horizon, this might be the best piece of secondary gear to get since the iPad.

So, what would you recommend (specifically for music based apps)?

Comments

• I'm currently using a 2018 MacMini, 8GB Ram, 3.0Ghz 6-Core i5 and 256GB SSD.

Not being a super heavy user but compared to my previous Mid 2013 MacBook Air (which was stolen) this Mini runs circles around it! There's plenty of ports on it for future expansion too.

The Mini can be BTO'd to higher spec but the model I got was 'off the shelf' from a local store...

• @Samu said:
    I'm currently using a 2018 MacMini, 8GB Ram, 3.0Ghz 6-Core i5 and 256GB SSD.

Not being a super heavy user but compared to my previous Mid 2013 MacBook Air (which was stolen) this Mini runs circles around it! There's plenty of ports on it for future expansion too.

The Mini can be BTO'd to higher spec but the model I got was 'off the shelf' from a local store...

Interesting you mentioned BTO’d. Would it be more efficient to get a model with the processor and RAM improvements, then add the additional upgrade if I feel it’s necessary?

• That “ 2018 MacMini, 8GB Ram, 3.0Ghz 6-Core i5 and 256GB SSD” is the exact one I have had my eye on. The RAM can be upgraded later, and add external Thunderbolt SSD for more storage if/ when needed. It is the best deal as far as I could tell on the current Mac Mini

• @Samflash3 said:

Interesting you mentioned BTO’d. Would it be more efficient to get a model with the processor and RAM improvements, then add the additional upgrade if I feel it’s necessary?

The 3.2Ghz i7 option (6-Core with Multi Threading) could be a nice boost but I don't know how much in everyday 'normal' usage one would feel the difference. Same with the 10GB/s ethernet since my home network isn't that fast yet.

The SSD and Ram can be upgraded, if/when needed...
    (Even with the Samsung T5 in the USB-C port the internal disk is crazy much faster, I get roughly 500MB/s R/W from the T5 while the Internal 256GB disk is like 2,5GB/s read and 1,2GB/s write and it is noticeable when loading instruments in Logic...).

• The Mac I run Logic and Gig Performer on is a late 2012 mini (quad core and the highest but one clock speed they made it in, whatever that is). I maxed the RAM and put an SSD in it and it’s absolutely fine for what I do so far. I’ve experienced crackles with some U-he Diva patchers but that’s all.

Any of the new ones would have to be better, I’m sure.

I have it in a 3U rack along with the interface and some other stuff because it’s my guitar live rig (running S-Gear and Gig Performer).

• @qryss said:
    The Mac I run Logic and Gig Performer on is a late 2012 mini (quad core and the highest but one clock speed they made it in, whatever that is). I maxed the RAM and put an SSD in it and it’s absolutely fine for what I do so far. I’ve experienced crackles with some U-he Diva patchers but that’s all.

I have it in a 3U rack along with the interface and some other stuff because it’s my guitar live rig (running S-Gear and Gig Performer).

This is another route I was thinking of...getting a 2012 model, with hopefully max specs, then designing a system around it. Problem I worry is repairs. As it’s over 8 years old, unless i bought one that was recently manufactured, I’d have to worry about the CPU processor as everything else can be replaced (SSD, and RAM).

Only thing is that it HAS to be less than or equal to half the price of a new $999 model. Or am I being unrealistic?

• edited February 2020

I bought mine in 2014, I think. There was a huge gap between models and everyone was hanging out for the new ones because they were going to be so good. Except they weren’t - they were worse and upgradeable. The day they announced the new ones I went out and bought the best I could find in a shop. They had already had a run on them that morning and it was the last quad core one they had. I was on holiday as well so it caught me really unawares.

I think I paid about $1000 AUD for it, plus the upgrades later.

It’s always fun with Apple, hey?

• @Samflash3 said:

@qryss said:
    The Mac I run Logic and Gig Performer on is a late 2012 mini (quad core and the highest but one clock speed they made it in, whatever that is). I maxed the RAM and put an SSD in it and it’s absolutely fine for what I do so far. I’ve experienced crackles with some U-he Diva patchers but that’s all.

This is another route I was thinking of...getting a 2012 model, with hopefully max specs, then designing a system around it. Problem I worry is repairs. As it’s over 8 years old, unless i bought one that was recently manufactured, I’d have to worry about the CPU processor as everything else can be replaced (SSD, and RAM).

Only thing is that it HAS to be less than or equal to half the price of a new $999 model. Or am I being unrealistic?

I have a 2012, i7, 16gb ram and it performs like a champ. I use it for Ableton (i'm not a power user by any means and I'm just a hobbiest). Just fyi.

• I also have a maxed out 2012 mini that I bought new and have used daily ever since. No issues, no imminent plans for replacing it. It's my main machine. I run a hybrid plug-in/hardware style set up though so I don't tax the CPU as much as I would if I relied entirely on software for making sounds. A busy Live session for me puts Live's CPU meter around 50-60%.

Just yesterday I was curious about its current value and saw that one sold on eBay WITH a 27" thunderbolt display (my exact setup) for $350 USD.

• @unicity said:
    I also have a maxed out 2012 mini that I bought new and have used daily ever since. No issues, no imminent plans for replacing it. It's my main machine. I run a hybrid plug-in/hardware style set up though so I don't tax the CPU as much as I would if I relied entirely on software for making sounds. A busy Live session for me puts Live's CPU meter around 50-60%.

Just yesterday I was curious about its current value and saw that one sold on eBay WITH a 27" thunderbolt display (my exact setup) for $350 USD.

@unicity said:
    I also have a maxed out 2012 mini that I bought new and have used daily ever since. No issues, no imminent plans for replacing it. It's my main machine. I run a hybrid plug-in/hardware style set up though so I don't tax the CPU as much as I would if I relied entirely on software for making sounds. A busy Live session for me puts Live's CPU meter around 50-60%.

Would you mind linking me some recommendations or even that one?

• I’d make your mind up quick - the iMac and Air 3 I was going to get are ‘out of stock’ on Amazon, supply chains are getting badly hit via the virus quarantines.

• @Samflash3 said:
    Yeah, this is a bit of an odd thread. But I was looking at virtual options for Mac computers and the prices were....just not it. I pretty much just need a server that I can host stuff to, and also for music, programming, app development, etc.

Which led me to the Mac computers. But since I don’t really need a screen, it was down to the Mac Pro, a Hackintosh, and the Mac mini. Seeing as I’m about mobility, the Mac Mini makes the most sense, as it is a single component which is sturdily built. Plus, with Project:Catalyst on the horizon, this might be the best piece of secondary gear to get since the iPad.

So, what would you recommend (specifically for music based apps)?

I have big screen MacPro 2.2 Quadcore i7
    and
    small screen Mac Pro 1.4 QuadCore i5 (BUT THIS HAS THE STRIP)

I like the bigger screen older one because of the USB jacks.....

Catalina on both of them.

• @Samflash3 said:

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean...links to the specs of my machine or?

• edited February 2020

@MonzoPro said:
    I’d make your mind up quick - the iMac and Air 3 I was going to get are ‘out of stock’ on Amazon, supply chains are getting badly hit via the virus quarantines.

Well I have some extras to sell....LOL

Mental illness isn't communicable....

• @unicity said:

@Samflash3 said:

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean...links to the specs of my machine or?

Oh I meant eBay links but it’s fine. I found a few searches for similar models.

• @qryss said:

My machine is the same. I spent the money on the i7 (bought the whole thing refurb from Apple), and have never regretted that choice. I personally recommend getting the fastest processor you can afford, knowing you can upgrade ram and things later. I waited till the warranty was over and added a SSD to turn it into a fusion drive. Runs pretty great for an 8 year old computer.

• edited February 2020

I have an iMac (2015) that I'm looking to get rid of if you are looking that way. It needs an SSD upgrade as it has the old style hd in it. It's mint. PM me if you wish.

edit not trying to be crass btw, just thought it might be of interest.

• @kinkujin said:
    I have an iMac (2015) that I'm looking to get rid of if you are looking that way. It needs an SSD upgrade as it has the old style hd in it. It's mint. PM me if you wish.

Have you tried hooking up an external bootable SSD? Gave my 2012 MacBook Pro a totally new lease of life.

• @MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

Have you tried hooking up an external bootable SSD? Gave my 2012 MacBook Pro a totally new lease of life.

I haven't no. I probably should but, I didn't want to spend any more dough. I don't know if I could suss out the setup on my own. Do you find it stable, have there been any hiccups in this setup?

• edited February 2020

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

I haven't no. I probably should but, I didn't want to spend any more dough. I don't know if I could suss out the setup on my own. Do you find it stable, have there been any hiccups in this setup?

Works perfectly, I’d estimate the laptop is around 8x faster booting from the SSD. It’s hooked up via USB, and cost about £60. I’ve added a second one for extra storage.

My iMac plan (when they’re back in stock) is to get the base model with a standard HD, and do the same thing - hook up a bootable SSD, which will save me a couple of hundred quid, plus I get the internal HD for back-ups.

• @MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@kinkujin said:

Works perfectly, I’d estimate the laptop is around 8x faster booting from the SSD. It’s hooked up via USB, and cost about £60. I’ve added a second one for extra storage.

My iMac plan (when they’re back in stock) is to get the base model with a standard HD, and do the same thing - hook up a bootable SSD, which will save me a couple of hundred quid, plus I get the internal HD for back-ups.

Thanks El Monzo. I'll have to do some research.

• @Samflash3 If you are into buying a refurbished Mac I can highly recommend Otherworld Computing (OWC).

Two years ago I bought a 2011 iMac with 2.5 i5, 12GB RAM, and a 1T SSD for $1100 Cdn. It rocks.

They give you options so you can configure for yourself. As an example, I went on their Mini page just now and dialed up a 2012 model thusly: 2.3GHz Quad-Core Core i7 processor, 16GB memory, 250GB Solid-State Drive for $639US. If I went with an i5 instead of the i7 the total price would've been $449US. And there were plenty of memory and storage options to choose from.

• edited March 2020

Decided to get a 2012 Mac Mini. Got one for exactly the amount I had as a limit on Ebay.

Now, the wait begins...

• Great choice. And good on ya - hope it works out great.

• @Samflash3 said:
    Decided to get a 2012 Mac Mini. Got one for exactly the amount I had as a limit on Ebay.

Now, the wait begins...

Ah crap, I just ordered a 2018 and when it arrives (later today hopefully) I was going to list my 2012 on ebay and let ya know.

So... what kind of deal did you find?

• @RUST( i )K said:

Mental illness isn't communicable....

You haven’t seen Mastodon, have you

• I have a late 2012 mini maxed out. No issues whatever. love it!

• edited March 2020

My Mac Mini is a 2014 2.4GHz i5 with 1TB drive and 16GB ram, which I bought secondhand. I also had a 2014 1.2GHz with 500GB drive and 4GB ram (the basest of the base model) which I bought new and it was so intolerably slow it could barely run itself let alone any other programs on top. I sold it. I kept the good secondhand one. A few months ago last year I found a (quite expensive, also secondhand) Apple 256GB SSD which must’ve come out of a MacBook or something. I time-machine backed the Mac up to the Apple Time Capsule (the tall one) and also a USB-3 connected 1TB SSHD I have lying loose on the desk, and fitted the Apple SSD and formatted the whole machine as a Fusion [1] drive, then restored it all. Since I took it to a Fusion drive, I’ve not felt the need to go up to a 2018 one (which is indubitably far better, and I was thinking of going for one) as I don’t notice enough hindrance to want to, now. Normally, a 2014 Mac Mini was only ever available as a 128GB SSD for the Fusion drive, so mine’s even better than it could have been.

[1]

00:04:28 The what?

00:04:30 The fusion chamber...lain.

00:04:32 The fusion chamberlain show.

00:04:34 With your host,

00:04:36 fusion chamberlain!

• Yeah, you will definitely be happy with performance of a 2012 i5 or i7 with 16GB ram. It is still a very capable machine.

Personally I went with the 2018 upgrade just because I found a decent sale on eBay and hoping to get a good sale price for my 2012. If all goes well it may end up costing me only about $250 out of pocket for the trade (newer machine, better CPU, less RAM, faster but smaller SSD).

And by the way, I blame this forum thread for getting me back on eBay to check 2018 Mac Mini prices and then click buy. ;-)

• Ha> @Hmtx said:

Yeah, you will definitely be happy with performance of a 2012 i5 or i7 with 16GB ram. It is still a very capable machine.

Personally I went with the 2018 upgrade just because I found a decent sale on eBay and hoping to get a good sale price for my 2012. If all goes well it may end up costing me only about $250 out of pocket for the trade (newer machine, better CPU, less RAM, faster but smaller SSD).

And by the way, I blame this forum thread for getting me back on eBay to check 2018 Mac Mini prices and then click buy. ;-)

Haha, you’re welcome. Feel free to send that cheque :p