Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Randomizers in synths and FX

1. What do you think?38 votes
    1. Necessary
      97.37%
    2. Stupid
        2.63%

Comments

• Maybe add „Welcome addition“ to the choices. Those only two are a bit +100/-100 with „stupid“ not exactly being opposite of „necessary“ :smile:

• edited February 2020

c) Very useful for generating new ideas

• I love them. I’m not a great sound designer so I Randomize and tweak.

• I thoght it was stupid before I tried random in PPG Infinte. Can't live without it now

• @jolico said:

Nice to have? They’re neither necessary nor stupid.

• edited February 2020

I'm intrigued about that 1 person who thinks they are stupid :lol:

Voted Necessary. But I'm more for the useful tag

• Timesaver

• edited February 2020

Great to have for variation in loops but it’s got to be continued and not that you have to press the dice button.

Drambo has a random module that can be connected pretty much to anything. You set the intensity and it will screw with a value of a knob every once in a while. Quite necessary for humanising stuff and making it sound alive.

• Nice to have, but not required. So, I didn't vote. Randomizers are only as good as implementation. Poor implementation / non-musical results, might as well not have.

• @senhorlampada said:
    I'm intrigued about that 1 person who thinks they are stupid :lol:

Voted Necessary. But I'm more for the useful tag

Probably an expert soundsculpter with skills that surpass anything that us mere mortals could ever dream to achieve.

• @supadom said:

Drambo has

What is this mystical creature of which you speaketh, my liege?

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@supadom said:

Drambo has

What is this mystical creature of which you speaketh, my liege?

It is a knight riding on 1000 horses and will rid our kingdom from GAS malaise for centuries...

• First feature I look for. Randomize sounds opened a new world off sound design jumping off points for me.

LOVE IT

• AuV3 synths and fx without randomizers exist. Why???

• Every digital synth should have it. Hardware or software.

• edited March 2020

I use random all the time, especially when I’m trying to figure a synth out.
    One feature I wish every synth had like Zeenon is a quick FX on/off button, because so many patches are drowning in reverb and delay.

• I’m not one to use the randomiser when one is available, synthesis is what it’s all about for me (making coherent music is far down the list).

But if one can be made, why not have it. In iVCS3, it’s often amused me that the random button is so random that about 99.9% of the time it’ll be silence. Or at least it was when I tried it many years ago, maybe it’s more sensible now.

However, I’m now starting to get interested in dynamic random. That’s becoming more interesting to me than in the past, when I wouldn’t allow any stochastic influence that didn’t have my sign-off on it.

I think an app developer that had not only a random button, but a meta-random button which basically randomly pressed the random button (obviously with an option of gracefully swerving from one random push to another) (or perhaps a meta-meta-randomiser for whether it’s graceful or jarring) (etc).

• +1 for randomization
    I'm not great at sound designing from scratch, but I always like having something to work on, then I tweak it.

It also reminds me of what I learnt from my "System and Controls" Professor back in school. And I paraphrase, "It is a lot easier to shoot a signal randomly, where it gets close to your target, then use control techniques to fine tune it so that it reaches as close to your intended target. If your original signal is way off, just try again..."

• Magellan 2
    In the spawn2 menu select the arp box, then spawn some out of this world loops.

This thing is really amazing.