Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad 12.9 2nd gen 512GB or iPad 12.9 3rd gen 64GB

edited February 2020 in General App Discussion

Hi,

I'm in doubt of which one to buy. I can buy a 2nd gen 512GB for $600 and a 3rd gen 64GB for $650. Both are 2nd hand. Any suggestions what's the best choice? Go for storage or the latest iPad.

Comments

• 64 GB will fill up fast, even if you’re recording at 44.1/16 bit. With only one gen difference in chip/architecture, I’d go for the space. That particular 512 is the exact same model I’m typing on right now.

• 512 GB!!!!!

• edited February 2020

Do you plan on recording much audio or are you mostly a midi sequencing kind? iOS 13 lets you plug a USB drive to move files and run samples.

Are you the I must own every iOS music app kinda person? Or you can live with a select 18 apps?

Since they are used I would go for the most recent because of the battery.

• 512 for me as well. Considering the larger storage, you have a headphone jack, and if you already had an older iPad, no need to buy any accessories.

Now, if you do want to "future proof" with USB C or the newer apple Pencil, get the newer one. But then again, a new iPad Pro may come out this year.

• @mannix said:
    Hi,

I'm in doubt of which one to buy. I can buy a 2nd gen 512GB for $600 and a 3rd gen 64GB for $650. Both are 2nd hand. Any suggestions what's the best choice? Go for storage or the latest iPad.

Don't get 64GB - you'll spend your time managing disk space instead of making music. I have a 2nd Gen Pro and it's good for a while yet in terms of processing power\memory and I am often running sets with a large number of plugins.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Always go for the most storage you can afford as long as the performance is adequate. and in this case it is.

• The biggest differences are the physical size and the Apple Pencil. Personally, I feel like these two features make the new 2018 3rd gen iPad Pro well worth the extra cost. If you can swing $800 you might be able to find a 256GB 3rd gen.

• The 3rd gen iPad also suffers from that annoying sample rate issue (unless you're using an interface the sample rate is locked to 48khz) and it doesn't have a headphone jack. This one's a no-brainer IMO, go fo the 2nd gen with more storage.

• I have both a first and a third gen 12.9” iPad Pro. The third gen is crippled (to my mind) by the lack of audio port. I also would far prefer the home button with fingerprint sensor to the stupid Face ID thing. And also my USB-C port on the third gen is already getting a bit loose with my multi port interface, something I never had a problem with in lightning ports

• @Amergin said:
    [...] And also my USB-C port on the third gen is already getting a bit loose with my multi port interface, something I never had a problem with in lightning ports

This is really disappointing I’m curious if it is a common problem with the 3rd gen.

I’m happy with the 2nd gen 12.9 in every aspect except for the huge bezels, and that darn Apple Pencil protruding from the charge port if I need to charge on the go. Those two reasons have me looking for the right time to upgrade. But if USB-C is not as robust, and the 48hz sample rate lock... that makes me hesitate

• Which one of these has more RAM?

• @Apex said:
    Which one of these has more RAM?

Same in both.

All 12.9” iPads have 4GB ram

Only exception is the 3rd gen option with 1TB storage. It comes with 6GB ram

• edited February 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for all your comments. I decided to go for the 2017 512GB :)
    Also because the 2018 model seems to have some flaws.

• @mannix said:
    Thanks for all your comments. I decided to go for the 2017 512GB :)

Woohoo. WE DID IT. We finally brainwashed someone to get what we always wanted (lol).

But seriously, glad to hear. Hope you have fun with it. I’m rocking a 2018 iPad with 128GB and so far, so good.

• @Samflash3 said:

@mannix said:
    Thanks for all your comments. I decided to go for the 2017 512GB :)

Woohoo. WE DID IT. We finally brainwashed someone to get what we always wanted (lol).

But seriously, glad to hear. Hope you have fun with it. I’m rocking a 2018 iPad with 128GB and so far, so good.