Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elektron Model:Cycles

Comments

• edited March 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I’ve a feeling it’s going to end up a centerpiece of my arsenal for many years (hopefully decades) to come. The esteem people have for this machine is quite infectious and seems to be well-earned, to say the least. I knew there’d come a time when I could no longer resist ;)

I’ve been so close to getting OT as well before, but figured MD would be the better entry into Elektron ecosystem, since it seems to have more depth than many of their recent boxes, but not the frustratingly steep learning curve OT can have to the uninitiated.

My only experience with HW Groovebox so far is my Deluge, which is an amazing straightforward production workhorse, but I’ve always yearned for something with more of the modular versatility I’ve grown to appreciate in certain software platforms.
    I just love the sense of discovery with a tool that has so many layers under the surface and such a flexible wide range of uses.
    The creative output of this machine in the hands of those who’ve mastered it (Autechre, etc) speaks for itself.

P.s. Much thanks for the helpful ideas, tips & resources guys. Can’t wait to give these a spin in a couple days. Integrating MD with iPad is going to be a whole new layer of awesome. This might even inspire me to finally try my hand at Mozaic; I love what you did with the script!

• @SanMateo said:

@Eschatone said:
    I just now ordered my first Elektron gear - Machinedrum UW, and I keep hearing Digitone is one of the best melodic pairings with it. Can’t really afford that for now though, so I’m considering Cycles as an affordable alternative.

How do you think cycles compares to SP LXR? Recently saw a pre-built lxr for under $400 and it seems to run circles around cycles spec wise, though not sure how it’d stack up to it with workflow or sound.

Couple of things, since you just got the Machinedrum UW you may want to check out this thread over at Elektronauts. I also recommend spending some time over there if you don't already.

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/machinedrum-sps1-uw-os-1-70-released-unofficial/12132

I don't know the SP LXR but before jumping into another piece of kit I would say spend some time getting to know the Machinedrum, I have not used one but like any of their gear it takes sometime to get your head around. From what I understand the Machinedrum might be one of the easier ones to groak, but again never used it myself. One thing though, in regard to the DN/MC and MD the sequencers are a bit different. I don't believe the MD has some of the newer features (scale per track) but don't quote me on that.

Anyway, enjoy the new gear!

Great points, thanks! That forum is a goldmine of helpful info (with the only side effect of feverishly increasing the GAS bug for other Elektron boxes ;) .. I’ve heard the older/defunct elektron-users forum is also a great place to mine for useful workflow tricks.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • thanks for that Es, it's def full of intrigue

• edited March 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This setup can work?
    USB M:S & USB M:C to a USB hub connected via a camera connexion kit CCK to an IPAD then using AUM or any virtual mixer to mix the 2 Models? 😇

• @Hkor said:
    This setup can work?
    USB M:S & USB M:C to a USB hub connected via a camera connexion kit CCK to an IPAD then using AUM or any virtual mixer to mix the 2 Models? 😇

Just pan some voices hard left and some hard right for 2 channels. You lose internal fx, but there’s better options as au’s.

• wow, does this thing really have 60,000 patch memory slots whoohooooo that's what I'm talking about!!!

• @kobamoto said:
    wow, does this thing really have 60,000 patch memory slots whoohooooo that's what I'm talking about!!!

Someone needs to rig up a patch randomizer/morpher in Mozaic to fill those up... hardware Fractal Bits.

• I believe iOS can only use one audio device at a time.

@Hkor said:
    This setup can work?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@kobamoto said:
    wow, does this thing really have 60,000 patch memory slots whoohooooo that's what I'm talking about!!!

Someone needs to rig up a patch randomizer/morpher in Mozaic to fill those up... hardware Fractal Bits.

I don't even use Mosaic but could be persuaded if that was possible.... super missed opportunity if Elektron don't put a randomizer in it, they updated the digitakt with one so..!!

• The digitone also has per page randomization, and there is an iOS app Harmonix that can totally randomize and somewhat intelligently (quite difficult with ‘full’ FM I’d imagine...) I don’t yet have a cycles but I’m a sucker for percussion synths. With so few knobs for tonal adjustments, I’d imagine you could just live record a bunch of automation and copy/paste trigs into a beat in order to generate some useable randomness on the cycles. The digitone gets unwieldy almost instantly with most randomization.

• yep, diff patch on each step if you wanted... I'm looking forward to the cycles

• I decided to create my own version of Model Cycles using KQ Dixie.

It’s an 8 track setup, where each sound like Model Cycles is an FM synth track. 2 melodic synth lines and 5 drum synth tracks used here. Melodies sequenced using StepBud and drums using midi from Poly2.

• edited March 2020

@auxmux said:
    I decided to create my own version of Model Cycles using KQ Dixie.

It’s an 8 track setup, where each sound like Model Cycles is an FM synth track. 2 melodic synth lines and 5 drum synth tracks used here. Melodies sequenced using StepBud and drums using midi from Poly2.

Very nice!! 👏👍🏼
    Nanostudio 2 with multiple Obsidian (FM, PD) and Slate instances would be a nice all-in-one alternative too.
    Or Groove Rider with a number of Digitone or other FM wavetables.

• Thank you @rs2000. Yeah true, I need to give NS2 more attention one of these days.

• edited March 2020

• ebays gonna be full of these in about 8 months

• @reasOne said:
    ebays gonna be full of these in about 8 months

I think you are right on that.

• @Shiro said:

@reasOne said:

Well, but... was that the case with Samples? I mean I saw a bunch on Reverb but no more than OPZ's or any other grooveboxy type thing.

• @iammane said:

@Shiro said:

@reasOne said:

Well, but... was that the case with Samples? I mean I saw a bunch on Reverb but no more than OPZ's or any other grooveboxy type thing.

i know you can do a lot with the built in sound modules but it does seem a bit confining and i assume only the most creative will be able to really get a lot of original sounds from it so that’s why i see this in particular ending up for sale in larger quantities faster

• @Shiro said:

@reasOne said:

I hope so! I want at least one more.

• @reasOne said:

@iammane said:

@Shiro said:

@reasOne said:

i know you can do a lot with the built in sound modules but it does seem a bit confining and i assume only the most creative will be able to really get a lot of original sounds from it so that’s why i see this in particular ending up for sale in larger quantities faster

Yea, no one is ever going to be able to do creative things with such a limited range of sounds... I mean... no way something like a piano, geetar, or trumpet, with ONLY ONE SOUND will ever be useful.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@Shiro said:

@reasOne said:

I hope so! I want at least one more.

You mean get a cheapo secondhand one end of 2020 hihi

• edited March 2020

yeah there will be allot of them, I'm looking for another model samples for under 200 now, if I can find one for 150 I'll gladly scoop it up, but the model cycles combined with my FX will provide endless sample fodder!

plus the thing will hold a zillion saved patches, that quick access+ the sequencer should yield a plethora of go to amalgamations to choose from.

usage ideas:

beatmachine

ambient generator

hardware sequencer

midi controller

• class compliant audio

all for 3 bones