Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

how to do autoswell (or attack filter) - help needed

Hi there,

as a newbie I work with Aum and different sound-apps on my iPad (e.g. isymphonic).
Has anybody a step by step- tipp how I can achieve to slide in into sounds, for example in isymphonic (which has no asdr-filter on board)? A thing like an autoswell would be helpful. Also possible seems a tool like FAC Envolver?
I own this too, but I can‘t get it work.

Tips are welcome

Greetings from Germany

Comments

• You could use an ADSR in Mozaic, but it does have its limitations.

Keep in mind all notes are going through the same ADSR, so if you release one note, all notes will release.

• You might want to add some tremolo that comes in near the peak of the sound some how. You will have to play around with the settings to get it just right for the sound.

Sure, there will be better options, but probably more complex, especially if you want to affect each note separately.

Hope this gets you started :)

• You might want to add some filter to the sound that is affected by an ADSR too.

• @bates67 said:
    Hi there,

as a newbie I work with Aum and different sound-apps on my iPad (e.g. isymphonic).
    Has anybody a step by step- tipp how I can achieve to slide in into sounds, for example in isymphonic (which has no asdr-filter on board)? A thing like an autoswell would be helpful. Also possible seems a tool like FAC Envolver?
    I own this too, but I can‘t get it work.

Tips are welcome

Greetings from Germany

Why AUM?
    This would be so much easier to do with track volume automation in a DAW.

• edited February 2020

iSymphonic with no cc11 expression, much like BeatHawk strings.

Should just be a given function.

At least BH lets you automate ADSR etc.

• Well, mozaic seems to be a bit complicated, if I look in the description in app store.
    @Fruitbat1919: I don‘t get what you mean...
    @rs2000: Yes, but would that work in a live situation. I think that only works with already recorded material. Correct me if I#m wrong.

• @bates67 said:
    Well, mozaic seems to be a bit complicated, if I look in the description in app store.
    @rs2000: Yes, but would that work in a live situation. I think that only works with already recorded material. Correct me if I#m wrong.

Mozaic is "complicated" if you are writing scripts, but it is not so complicated to use many of the scripts that people have written and provided on PatchStorage. In the Audiobus Forum WIKI, you will find a handy list of scripts that are available.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@bates67 said:
    Well, mozaic seems to be a bit complicated, if I look in the description in app store.

You can also use FAC Envolver for this. By default it responds to incoming audio level, but its envelopes can also be triggered by MIDI note instead.

• edited February 2020

Eventide Ultratap with mix at 100% wet. Set chop mode to swell, adjust rise (attack), predelay, delay time, number of taps etc etc to taste.

• edited February 2020

Thanks for your replies.
    Sorry@Fruitbat1919: I didn‘t realise that you posted all three replies in a row. I thought that the explanation with screenshots were from another user, so I couldnt’t understand, why you were talking about tremolo... ;-)

Eventide sounds interesting too.

But before I spend more money:

@wim: can you explain me a setup with Envolver in Aum or Audiobus, so that I can play with a keyboard swelling sounds to my taste?

• You might want to add some filter to the sound that is affected by an ADSR too.> @bates67 said:

Thanks for your replies.
    Sorry@Fruitbat1919: I didn‘t realise that you posted all three replies in a row. I thought that the explanation with screenshots were from another user, so I couldnt’t understand, why you were talking about tremolo... ;-)

But before I spend more money.
    @wim: can you explain me a setup with Envolver in Aum or Audiobus, so that I can play with a keyboard swelling sounds to my taste?

No probs. I don’t think it’s the one for yourself though. Envolver makes sense if wim shows us both how, as dammed if I can figure it out :)

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@bates67 said:
    Thanks for your replies.

Actually, I think I’ve misunderstood how it works. Envolver can send MIDI notes. I don’t think it can trigger envelopes based on incoming MIDI Note. I was confused by the labeling of the settings.

The Mozaic MIDI ADSR script is the best option I can think of. I wrote it specifically for this type of scenario.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Eventide Ultratap with mix at 100% wet. Set chop mode to swell, adjust rise (attack), predelay, delay time, number of taps etc etc to taste.

Boy that sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try that! Thanks for sharing!!!! 👊🏼😎

• I can get something usable at around these settings, but it will obviously need some tweaking for different sounds

• @wim said:

@bates67 said:
    Thanks for your replies.

Actually, I think I’ve misunderstood how it works. Envolver can send MIDI notes. I don’t think it can trigger envelopes based on incoming MIDI Note. I was confused by the labeling of the settings.

The Mozaic MIDI ADSR script is the best option I can think of. I wrote it specifically for this type of scenario.

Yep Thanks for ADSR, I find I use it quite a bit now :)

• If you tested both plugins, Fruitbat1919, which one would you recommend for my purposes?
    Just want to be sure, to spend my money on the right thing. ;-)

• @bates67 said:
    If you tested both plugins, Fruitbat1919, which one would you recommend for my purposes?
    Just want to be sure, to spend my money on the right thing. ;-)

While you don’t need programming or scripting knowledge to use Mozaic, it isn’t the simplest of apps to use. By that, I mean it’s not as simple as select the AU and preset and it’s all set up for you. Saying that though, it’s not overtly difficult to use once you gain a bit of knowledge of how the midi system in apps work. I also would say that Mozaic opens up a world of possibilities just not possible in other apps due to the fantastic scripting community that has built up around it. Just be aware you will probably have a few WTF moments while using it.

UltraTap has just recently been on sale, so if you don’t own it, buying now may be a bit annoying knowing it’s just been at half price for a while. Is it worth full price? That’s only answered by personal preferences and not for myself to state opinion, as I bought it in the sale along with all the Eventide apps. The Eventide apps are very good imo and at least cheaper than on PC / MAC.

Maybe there are other solutions to find, as to be honest neither of these solutions are exactly perfect for the problem imo. They both work and can probably be made to work better, but they are not perfect. I have discussed some of the Mozaic ADSR issues, but they would probably be surmountable with a more complex setup, but I hesitate to recommend you go down that route, unless you have some patience. The UltraTap method though is much easier to get something up and running, but the controls are hardly spot on for creating an ADSR effect with the full control that affords - it is without doubt the easier option of the two, just more costly.

If your need is has some degree of urgency (or cost no issue), go for it. If you can wait a while, keep looking for any alternative options. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and you may find that the options discussed here don’t meet your own personal perspectives of your needs anyway. Hope we all have at least helped some and given you ideas :)

• Here is one of the presets which does the job too, but just with a longer release

Made by Jakob Haq too!

• @Fruitbat1919: That is really a great help!!
    Thanks for your time and your efforts!
    I will think about it and try one of your suggestions.

Great forum here!
    Thanks to all the great members

• @bates67 said:
    @Fruitbat1919: That is really a great help!!
    Thanks for your time and your efforts!
    I will think about it and try one of your suggestions.

Great forum here!
    Thanks to all the great members

You are welcome. Like all families, we argue from time to time, but this really is one of the most helpful communities for anything iOS music making related (and often other things too). I’ve lost count of the times someone has helped me out in the last five years on this forum :)

• @wim said:

@bates67 said:
    Thanks for your replies.

FAC Envolver does work, is this what @bates67 was looking for?

• Wow, I think that could work. How did you do it?
    Can you give a detailed workaround! That would be great!

Thanks

• edited February 2020

@bates67 said:
    Wow, I think that could work. How did you do it?
    Can you give a detailed workaround! That would be great!

Thanks

Easy. Add FAC Envolver, use these settings and then make sure that MIDI is routed from Envolver to AUM MIDI control input so that the Volume CC7 from Envolver can control the AUM channel fader.
    As always, the FAC apps have too limited knob value ranges (Drambo to the rescue!) and 2 seconds is not really a smooth attack but it's better than nothing.

• ...or you have the adsr in Synthmaster one (in the fx slot)...that will do the same but in an easier way...no?

• @rs2000, so Envolver is reacting to the initial transient, then sending an inverted envelope to the volume fader? What happens if the sound itself doesn't have a pronounced attack (such as a pad)? Or if you pay a note too softly so it doesn't cross the threshold? Or if the volume fluctuates below and above the threshold. That seems like it could be inconsistent. I haven't tried it though, so maybe that works better than I think it would.

The idea with the Mozaic script is playing a note triggers the envelope at exactly the same time the note is triggered, irregardless of the level of audio passing through the plugin.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@wim said:

@bates67 said:
    Thanks for your replies.

Yep Thanks for ADSR, I find I use it quite a bit now :)

I'm planning a new one that is similar, but has more stages, and the ability to set a loop region.

• @wim said:
    @rs2000, so Envolver is reacting to the initial transient, then sending an inverted envelope to the volume fader? What happens if the sound itself doesn't have a pronounced attack (such as a pad)? Or if you pay a note too softly so it doesn't cross the threshold? Or if the volume fluctuates below and above the threshold. That seems like it could be inconsistent. I haven't tried it though, so maybe that works better than I think it would.

The idea with the Mozaic script is playing a note triggers the envelope at exactly the same time the note is triggered, irregardless of the level of audio passing through the plugin.

No question that using MIDi notes to trigger is the way to go.
    And you're right, having to set a fixed threshold in FAC Envolver is another limitation that excludes varying signal levels.
    Also, the attack is not always smooth because as long as the input signal is above the threshold, retriggering the sound won't give you the soft attack, but setting the threshold higher introduces the risk of not being triggered when the source is played monophonically...

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:
    @rs2000, so Envolver is reacting to the initial transient, then sending an inverted envelope to the volume fader? What happens if the sound itself doesn't have a pronounced attack (such as a pad)? Or if you pay a note too softly so it doesn't cross the threshold? Or if the volume fluctuates below and above the threshold. That seems like it could be inconsistent. I haven't tried it though, so maybe that works better than I think it would.

And you're right, having to set a fixed threshold in FAC Envolver is another limitation that excludes varying signal levels.
    Also, the attack is not always smooth because as long as the input signal is above the threshold, retriggering the sound won't give you the soft attack, but setting the threshold higher introduces the risk of not being triggered when the source is played monophonically...

If one has Moog Model 15 or iVCS3, they could be used. IVCS3 even lets you use just its envelope.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

If one has Moog Model 15 or iVCS3, they could be used. IVCS3 even lets you use just its envelope.

Triggered by audio, like an envelope follower, or triggered by midi? I don't have IVCS3, and I don't remember if you can send a trigger from external MIDI to M15's envelopes. That would be interesting to check out, though much more complicated to set up in M15 than Mozaic.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

Triggered by audio, like an envelope follower, or triggered by midi? I don't have IVCS3, and I don't remember if you can send a trigger from external MIDI to M15's envelopes. That would be interesting to check out, though much more complicated to set up in M15 than Mozaic.

Triggered by MIDI. It has been a while since I have done it—so I could be misremembering. I only mention it in case OP already has one of those.