Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Preamp plugin for iOS?

Hey guys

I am looking to add some preamp character to my recordings, as my audio interface sounds a little dull. I know that on MacOS there are many options for this, but is there anything for iPad that is really good to recommend?

I already own ChannelStrip by Audio Damage, but it does not add that vintage warmth and character of for example an old Neve preamp. Is there something with character out there for iOS?

Comments

• Nembrini Audio PSA 1000, saturator plugin. Really cool. It’s not cheap, but it worths every penny.

https://apps.apple.com/it/app/psa1000/id1498483020

• @christsinfamie said:
    ... but it does not add that vintage warmth and character of for example an old Neve preamp. Is there something with character out there for iOS?

If you have a 'dull' interface, you'll never succeed (because the preamp stage defines tone and resolution).
    That 'vintage warmth' is achieved by a stunningly transparent low midrange and practically no distortion at all.
    It's a pretty strange experience, to 'hear' an eq, but there isn't one - the range is simply more pronounced by it's improved definition.

A rather successful approach is to use a clinically detailed preamp and add sophisticated emulation software, as done by UAD in their Apollo interfaces. In a typical mix it's almost impossible to tell it from the original.
    UAD emulations run on dedicated DSP chips and the control software isn't available in IOS.
    But it only works at all because that input (preamp) is so detailed, that the raw signal is almost annoyingly 'lifeless'.

You can get the same input (to IOS) with an RME interface, but there's no counterpart to the postprocessing software.
    If it's about microphone/instrument recordings, you can get a solid Neve clone (GA Pre-73 Premier) in the $500 range. The 'Premier' is important because that's the one with the same input transformer type Neve uses.
    Your interface may handle the preamps line out better than the 'dull' internal preamp.

• edited February 2020

@christsinfamie here you go And its modelled on Neve. Has an input dial too for amping up the sound. Even before EQing you can hear the character.
    https://ddmf.eu/6144-equalizer-plugin/

• @stormbeats said:
    @christsinfamie here you go And its modelled on Neve. Has an input dial too for amping up the sound. Even before EQing you can hear the character.

Exactly. This!

Thanks!!!

• @christsinfamie said:

@stormbeats said:

Exactly. This!

Thanks!!!

@christsinfamie said:

@stormbeats said:

Exactly. This!

Thanks!!!

@christsinfamie cool.

• Is there such a thing as a passive external preamp? I have a Sonic port VX but it doesn’t have a pre amp to increase the inout signal. Wondered what you guys use?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Is there such a thing as a passive external preamp? I have a Sonic port VX but it doesn’t have a pre amp to increase the inout signal. Wondered what you guys use?

What do you mean by "passive" pre-amp. Usually, passive means "doesn't need power". A real pre-amp needs some supplied power (even if it is just the power supplied by the bus). There are lots of standalone preamps (some with AC power and some with battery power). What kind of intrument are you using it on? I have a very clean battery-powered from TC Electronics that I used to used to use for boosting the signal from an old jazz guitar with weak (but very good sounding) pickups or the signal from my acoustic's pickup.

Some audio interfaces have halfway decent preamps. Depending on your use-case. It might be cheaper to upgrade your audio interface than to buy a standalone preamp (especially if your primary use is for boosting the signal of an instrument that is only being used with your audio interface).

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

https://musiccritic.com/equipment/pedals/best-boost-pedal/

@Tones4Christ I'm assuming by "passive" you maybe mean "transparent"? Passive can't boost anything as @espiegel123 has mentioned.

Unless your SonicPort is giving you a lot of noise when you boost the signal internally in the iPad, I wouldn't worry about the input level. I'd either crank up the input level in whatever app you're using, or add a booster plugin to your signal chain.

• Buying a hardware preamp for £££ seems an unnecessarily costly way of doing this. Surely the point of an audio interface (as opposed to a preamp) is to simply transmit the sound of one device to another as purely as possible?
    I’m pretty sure @christsinfamie could spend no more than ££ and get close to that ‘vintage’ sound with the right apps, depending on what is required.
    If hardware is definitely desired, there are a few valve preamps in the sub-£100 range which can add some nice colouration (albeit without the EQ control of fancier models).

• Im happy as long as it works and sounds good in the end. Software is good with me :)

• @TimRussell said:
    If hardware is definitely desired, there are a few valve preamps in the sub-£100 range which can add some nice colouration (albeit without the EQ control of fancier models).

In that case I'd pick software... instead of some marketing tube-warmth-color rubbish. o:)
    Almost all such devices feature an opamp (semiconductor) preamp stage and the tube is just illumination (best case) or adds obscure types of distortion (bad luck)... the latter can be achieved much easier (and better) by software.
    No $ sub-100 device operates on regular tube power, let alone uses transformers (which btw have more influence on 'sound' than the tube itself)

• That may well be so, but, IMO, they do have a place. Preamp valves running cold certainly do not sound the same as valves running hot, but you can honestly get some surprisingly nice results with a used ART tube MP for £30 or something similar. Just don’t crank the input gain.
    Whether or not it sounds better than software is rather subjective.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

A simple and transparent booster pedal can be helpful for low output guitars or long cables. But I don’t think I would put one after an interface unless it was a preamp with a special character that I wanted.

• Gonna search ebay. I know there was a simple passive non battery or powered one but i don’t remember where I saw it.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@Tones4Christ said:
    Gonna search ebay. I know there was a simple passive non battery or powered one but i don’t remember where I saw it.

Don’t believe it if you see it. You simply cannot boost a signal without added power.

Where were you thinking of plugging this in? Between your interface and the iPad? That ain’t gonna work, it’s a USB connection. Between a guitar and the interface? That’ll work but may end up just over-driving the interface, not boosting the output.

You’re better off just boosting in the iPad signal chain, unless that interface is too noisy.

Tryin’ to save you wasting time and money by solving the wrong problem here ... ;)

• I see, maybe that’s why i never got it. It was about the time i bought my Sonic Port VX. I still don’t understand why they left one out of the VX port unit. But i was able to boost the signal with AUM and apps where it was useable.

• Yeh, most interfaces have some sort of input gain control, if only to help avoid clipping.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I see, maybe that’s why i never got it. It was about the time i bought my Sonic Port VX. I still don’t understand why they left one out of the VX port unit. But i was able to boost the signal with AUM and apps where it was useable.

As I understand it, the SonicPort VX is supposed to have a super low noise floor and they figured that people would use digital gain to get it to the levels they need it at. I don't have one to see if it is true that it is as quiet as they say. But if it is, add some gain in the app of your choice and save yourself some coin.

• Yeah i think that’s why i never ended up getting one. Can’t wait for IOS13.4 they fixed the issue on that OS per beta testers🙏😌

@espiegel123 said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    I see, maybe that’s why i never got it. It was about the time i bought my Sonic Port VX. I still don’t understand why they left one out of the VX port unit. But i was able to boost the signal with AUM and apps where it was useable.

As I understand it, the SonicPort VX is supposed to have a super low noise floor and they figured that people would use digital gain to get it to the levels they need it at. I don't have one to see if it is true that it is as quiet as they say. But if it is, add some gain in the app of your choice and save yourself some coin.

• @stormbeats said:

+1

• @TimRussell said:
    That may well be so, but, IMO, they do have a place. Preamp valves running cold certainly do not sound the same as valves running hot, but you can honestly get some surprisingly nice results with a used ART tube MP for £30 or something similar. Just don’t crank the input gain.
    Whether or not it sounds better than software is rather subjective.

Once you use a good mic preamp the difference is very obvious (and when you use a great mic preamp it’s even more so). The ART sounds ok if you run it absolutely clean, but the tube in it is pretty useless and you’re probably just as well off using your interface’s preamp if it has one.

Check out the 500 series preamps from bart hrk, they sound really good. A 500 series enclosure is not very expensive depending on the size you buy- I got a used api six space for $300 on reverb.

Another standalone pre, if you can find one, that runs a tube at real voltage is the electro harmonix 12ay7, great reviews on that one. I haven’t heard it, but I have the black finger tube compressor pedal that also runs the tube at high voltage and it sounds great, the preamp is supposed to pair with it well.

That doesn’t answer the op question exactly, but in auria there is saturation, and some of the plugins help with the sound you’re asking. The ddmf stuff is definitely great though, so that should help you.

• Any new option?

• edited April 2022

FabFilter Saturn 2
    GELABS (Mooer) - not AUv3
    Rhino
    MixBox (IK Multimedia)
    Overload THU