Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help identifying Leslie organ

edited February 2020 in Other

This one goes out to the hardware folks,

Someone posted a free Leslie organ on one of those nehborhood apps for my area. Not much info other than the attached photos, and the fact that it works and they got it after a 90year old aunt passed away.

It’s free if I rent a truck and go snag it (or maybe it will fit into my Mazda CX-5...wishful thinking?

Anyway, I’m moving into a new apartment in a month ( first time with no roommates) and kinda love the idea of an organ to play! Is this the same as the Leslie amps that have that amazing whirlee sound?

Apologies for my ignorance. Any clues or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Uncropped pic of the organ

• Send me some samples if you do get it lol.
    Also, congrats on the move.

• A picture of the Leslie cabinet would be good to see as this one doesn't seem to be one of these typical drawbar organs.

• @Samflash3 thanks! I certainly will if I get it

@rs2000 yes, going to write and check if it’s still available and if they could send along more pics, or if I can swing by and have a look.

Did a little digging and based solely on looks the closest I could find was this (links below)

Looks very cool although depending on condition and weight and all that I have to decide if I would really get enough use out of it. I am assuming it’s a Hammond organ possibly with a Leslie cabinet..even though the post says Leslie organ.

I will update with more pics and info. And maybe will try posting to an organ forum. The only reason I knew a little about this was because of the threads on the B3 app and because I got the eventide rotary app - which I love and which I read mimicked the Leslie. Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GORGEOUS-USA-VINTAGE-HAMOND-ORGAN-ANNIVERSARY-MODEL-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-/372771893590?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

• Oh, so it is a drawbar organ!
    Yep, check the Leslie and then think again if you really want to give up your home space for the monster 😁

• Haha. Well just based on the photos I’m guessing that’s what it is! This is the closest looking one I found. I’ll find out

Yea maybe I should pass since I’m not the most accomplished organ player. I mostly want one of those rotary, whirlitzer piano things and thought this might be along those lines. Really does seem massive!

@rs2000

• This looks like a Hammond Aurora Classic: https://reverb.com/item/312213-hammond-aurora-classic

Does not look like it has actual tonewheels inside (if you care about that sort of thing).
    From Wikipedia:

• looks like @Daveypoo got it right!

im puzzled as to why they called it a Leslie tho as Leslie and Hammond had nothing to with each other til the 80's. Hammonds were often played through Leslies but the rotary speaker was a separate unit and rather large. So it's doubtful that's what you're looking at here.

...that said these organs can be fun but they are beasts. If you do pick it up i've found using a couple skateboards is the best way to transport them once outside/on the ground. If possible, I'd look for something from the 60's or earlier though.. they sound much better.

• @BitterGums said:
    looks like @Daveypoo got it right!

im puzzled as to why they called it a Leslie tho as Leslie and Hammond had nothing to with each other til the 80's. Hammonds were often played through Leslies but the rotary speaker was a separate unit and rather large. So it's doubtful that's what you're looking at here.

...that said these organs can be fun but they are beasts. If you do pick it up i've found using a couple skateboards is the best way to transport them once outside/on the ground. If possible, I'd look for something from the 60's or earlier though.. they sound much better.

Well, calling it a "Leslie organ" is definitely a catchy headline amongst 100 other old organs that nobody wants to buy today 😉

• Excuse the dust , but here is my organ. :D

It’s a late 70s 126 model. I think it’s very nearly the same as the “romance” series.

I got mine for £5 from eBay... had to collect it though obviously .

Not exactly regarded as a classic/collectable organ, however it actually does have a physical rotary Leslie speaker which sounds terrific and a spring reverb plus lots of other novelties/quirks.

The best thing in my studio according to most people !

If it works and you have space then I’d say it’s definitely worth a look.

• edited February 2020

One thing I remember reading in a Hammond player forum. If the you are trying to get the blues/rock grungy sound stay away from any Hammond with coloured key. It will not get you that sound unless you modify it heavily.

They are very far from B3 and C3.

• I have a Lowrey organ from the 1970's sitting in my living room. It was the main instrument that I played when I was growing up. It has a real Leslie speaker and a unique sound - especially the flute combinations. I may sample it someday. It makes popping sounds when I adjust the sustain pedal, probably from years of dust collecting. It is a nice piece of furniture though. They don't make them like that anymore.

• edited February 2020

@iamspoon and @scarletjerry I'd love to hear their sound!
    I didn't know they've built stripped-down Leslie rotaries into these!

• @rs2000 Yeah, fair enough neither did I!
    A friend of mine refused to believe me until we removed the back and watched the speaker rotating :D

In fairness, it appears to be a single horn setup paired with a second static speaker rather than a proper dual speaker Leslie cabinet so it is stripped down to some extent.
    Still sounds terrific though and has a dual speed rocker switch so you can change the speed and hear the gradual speed change and associated phasing swoopy goodness.
    I could talk about my organ all day :*

Anyway, Kind of hard to record / sample as I think you ideally need at least 2 mics well placed to capture the different speakers (Leslie is far left, main speaker is main grill) but I will try!

• Anyway, Kind of hard to record / sample as I think you ideally need at least 2 mics well placed to capture the different speakers (Leslie is far left, main speaker is main grill) but I will try!

That would be lovely.
    Thank you!