Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM plus (discussion)

Comments

• @j_liljedahl said:

@SpartanClownTide said:
    If you start adding DAW like functionality might as well go the whole way. AUM ain't that, for me it's about live sessions. Laying out a finished product is a very different approach.

Exactly. If I add AU parameter automation recording, users will want a timeline where they can see the recorded automations, and users will want to edit it. And if they have a timeline with automations, why not also include MIDI? So that means adding a good piano roll editor. But some wants clip style launching as well. And if they have all that, why not also allow arranging audio clips on the timeline? And so on.. and then there's a full DAW.

It's often better to avoid half-baked features, and keep the original intention focussed.

If the devs heart is in it then I'm sure an AUM inspired DAW as a separate entity would do very well. Personally I'd rather record stems and mix them in Reaper, not that I ever do but that's another story.

I'd love to make an AUM based DAW, either as an IAP in AUM or as a separate app that syncs and integrates fully with AUM, or as a whole new AUMDAW app. But It's an enormous job, and currently I have enough to do with maintaining AUM, AudioShare, SECTOR, working for Gestrument, making AUv3 versions of my AUFX apps (soon!), etc. But you never know, maybe some day in the future I'll find myself having a bunch of time and energy left over :)

In the short term, I think it's more probable that I'd make an AUv3 clip launcher and/or audio timeline arranger that has direct access to AudioShare/AUM recordings. Similar could be done for MIDI (full piano roll editor). The only thing really that can't be done easily as a separate plugin or app is AU parameter automation.

PS. AUM already has a "timeline", and you can scroll it by dragging left/right on the global transport time label. FilePlayers will follow, so if you have a long track being played by a FilePlayer you can jump to any part of that track. Same goes for AUv3 plugins and IAA apps following host sync, they can/should locate and follow AUMs timeline.

these short term ideas would be, as you know, freaking amazing 😉

• @j_liljedahl said:
    clips on the timeline? And so on.. and then there's a full DAW.
    It's often better to avoid half-baked features, and keep the original intention focussed.

Makes sense.

[...] making AUv3 versions of my AUFX apps (soon!)

Huge news!

In the short term, I think it's more probable that I'd make an AUv3 clip launcher and/or audio timeline arranger

People would die for this!

PS. AUM already has a "timeline", and you can scroll it by dragging left/right on the global transport time label. FilePlayers will follow, so if you have a long track being played by a FilePlayer you can jump to any part of that track. Same goes for AUv3 plugins and IAA apps following host sync, they can/should locate and follow AUMs timeline.

I suppose this timeline is accessed by plugin coders using the host transport state block property, right? (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/auhosttransportstateblock) But no support for the parameters cycleStartBeatPosition and cycleEndBeatPosition? If AUM could integrate a simple UI for a cycle start/end loop region, then I believe this would be very useful for many plugins (like Multitrack recorder).

• edited February 2020

@Svetlovska said:
    @TheDubbyLabby : bear of small brain here. Can you explain/point me at something that explains your AUM into Blocs wave as a pre-Ableton measure? I have Blocs wave but found it quite a faff getting things into it. Might be worth the effort if it streamlines the export to Live though.

Yep is the worst part but it's possible to just use IAA and funnel loops into it.

Alternative path could be naming your files in AudioShare properly so Blocs gets all the data suited straightforward.

How do I get my samples to fit in with the rest of my project?
    If you are exporting a sample from a DAW, it is a good idea to include the BPM and key of the sample in the name of the exported file; this will make the whole process very straightforward. When retrieving audio files from sample-library sites, in most cases the key and BPM information will be already given to you.
    When you assign a sample to a pad, its tempo and key will change depending on the BPM and Key of the project. So it is important that you enter the original BPM and key of the Sample.
    The Launchpad and Blocs wave audio import feature can automatically read key and BPM information if it is given in the file name of the sample. The best way to do this is by separating the key and BPM with a hyphen in the file name. (If you are importing directly from another Ampify app, then this information will also be given automatically.)

Source

• @TheDubbyLabby : that’s excellent, thank you! I’m just off to relabel all my AUM file recordings (I do capture that info whilst noodling but didn’t RTFM the Blocs Wave enough to pick up the syntax trick). I’ll also have to try the direct recording in IAA thing. Very interesting...

• I’ve always wanted the aum mixer inside Cubasis. That would be amazing. Of course, even more amazing would be if @j_liljedahl eventually made AUMDAW. (I’d throw money into a kickstarter to get the ball rolling)

• @j_liljedahl said:

In the short term, I think it's more probable that I'd make an AUv3 clip launcher and/or audio timeline arranger that has direct access to AudioShare/AUM recordings. Similar could be done for MIDI (full piano roll editor). The only thing really that can't be done easily as a separate plugin or app is AU parameter automation.

That would be amazing and I suspect very popular.

Not sure I agree about AU parameter automation though. Surely that would be just like a piano roll, except you'd have lines/splines for the thing you were automating.

I just played around this and while it does work, it's kind of fiddly. What might be a nice addition would be to make it possible to enlarge that 'timeline', so that scrolling can be a bit more precise/faster. Or provide a way to type in a position to at least make it quicker.

• @reasOne said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@SpartanClownTide said:
    If you start adding DAW like functionality might as well go the whole way. AUM ain't that, for me it's about live sessions. Laying out a finished product is a very different approach.

Exactly. If I add AU parameter automation recording, users will want a timeline where they can see the recorded automations, and users will want to edit it. And if they have a timeline with automations, why not also include MIDI? So that means adding a good piano roll editor. But some wants clip style launching as well. And if they have all that, why not also allow arranging audio clips on the timeline? And so on.. and then there's a full DAW.

If the devs heart is in it then I'm sure an AUM inspired DAW as a separate entity would do very well. Personally I'd rather record stems and mix them in Reaper, not that I ever do but that's another story.

I'd love to make an AUM based DAW, either as an IAP in AUM or as a separate app that syncs and integrates fully with AUM, or as a whole new AUMDAW app. But It's an enormous job, and currently I have enough to do with maintaining AUM, AudioShare, SECTOR, working for Gestrument, making AUv3 versions of my AUFX apps (soon!), etc. But you never know, maybe some day in the future I'll find myself having a bunch of time and energy left over :)

these short term ideas would be, as you know, freaking amazing 😉

What he said!

• I switched to using AUM as my only DAW / mixer on my iPad a little while ago and I would gladly purchase a pro version of it that offers even more DAW options that are not feasible for the regular version's vision. I think this is hands-down the best music app on the iPad!

• I would pay good money for AUM with Xequence 2 built in.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Shiro said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

totally agree with your thoughts!

@j_liljedahl

Fair enough. Any comment on the original idea of the thread about a feature to help export tracks to other apps, even if the app wasn’t yours. Yes, you have answered that you are too busy, but as an idea to simplify the transfer of AUM projects to DAWs, it surely has merit, even if it’s not going to happen.

I can understand the desire not to water down the original concept, I even mentioned that originally, but if it wasn’t for time and other considerations, I don’t see how this feature would impinge on the original concept.

I think Ableton Live Set export is something to consider. I don't know if this format could be read by other DAWs as well?

• @Svetlovska said:
    @TheDubbyLabby : that’s excellent, thank you! I’m just off to relabel all my AUM file recordings (I do capture that info whilst noodling but didn’t RTFM the Blocs Wave enough to pick up the syntax trick). I’ll also have to try the direct recording in IAA thing. Very interesting...

Glad to be helpful. :wink:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Shiro said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

@j_liljedahl

Fair enough. Any comment on the original idea of the thread about a feature to help export tracks to other apps, even if the app wasn’t yours. Yes, you have answered that you are too busy, but as an idea to simplify the transfer of AUM projects to DAWs, it surely has merit, even if it’s not going to happen.

I can understand the desire not to water down the original concept, I even mentioned that originally, but if it wasn’t for time and other considerations, I don’t see how this feature would impinge on the original concept.

I think Ableton Live Set export is something to consider. I don't know if this format could be read by other DAWs as well?

https://ableton.github.io/export/

• edited February 2020

I think AUM is almost perfect in it’s current form. Fast, streamlined and joyful. Combined with mozaic sequencers, generators and modulators it’s become endless fun.
    I can only wish for two things (as IAPs of course)
    1. Additional m4l/bitwig like modulators with easy drag’n’drop connections. So you can drop it on fx slot and quickly assign few parameters for different fx without menu diving. With this I don’t need eurorack so much.
    2. Basic sampler. Maybe with gesture recording like in samplr without midi implementation.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Shiro said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

@j_liljedahl

I will look it up. I haven’t heard of it, probably because I’m iPad only, but if it’s still tied to the Mac / PC mantra, it might be one of those not quite fit for iOS purpose things. That was the other part of the initial discussion - how we look at these needs from a perspective of a touch screen centric environment. My initial idea was to look at choosing the export needs by dragging graphical representations of the required tracks into circles that represent bus groups.

I think along the lines ideas got blurred between this being an ideas discussion for how the DAWless, modular environment could go forward encompassing multiple apps and touchscreen centric ideals, to become just a relative wish list and peoples fears of app UI distortion. Not quite what I had intended, but thread have a habit of going in unseen directions :p

Been interesting though.

• OK, who else didn’t know that you can drag the timeline in AUM!!

Thanks @j_liljedahl

• I’m also in agreement that a built in Daw like timeline in AUM is not the way to go, I can see why people want it, but this is the beauty of Audio Units, just add what you need. I feel the same about apeMatrix and Audiobus. AUM should focus on it’s prime purpose to create an optimal environment for adding, combining and mixing these units to make it what you want..

Timelines don’t work too well on small touchscreens, but we’ll have more options in the future as more developers come up with alternative audio units to solve the problem.

Apps like Sunvox AU turn AUM into a daw with a timeline as soon as that gets midi out, that’s a great solution for automation recording etc :)

Excited about Ableton set export and things like that appearing in AUM to make desktop workflow integration smoother :)

• @bleep said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    In the short term, I think it's more probable that I'd make an AUv3 clip launcher and/or audio timeline arranger

People would die for this!

Any clip launcher style app I should look at to learn what users want?

I suppose this timeline is accessed by plugin coders using the host transport state block property, right? (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/auhosttransportstateblock) But no support for the parameters cycleStartBeatPosition and cycleEndBeatPosition? If AUM could integrate a simple UI for a cycle start/end loop region, then I believe this would be very useful for many plugins (like Multitrack recorder).

That's correct. And no, since AUM does not have any loop region it does not set the cycleXXBeatPosition values. I'll consider adding this in the future!

• I think @j_liljedahl points about how much he already has on his plate and how it’s a struggle to maintain what he already has is a very real challenge for many developers. The more features and functions an app has, the more difficult it becomes to maintain the app. More things can go wrong and it can frequently be more difficult to troubleshoot these as well. The advantage of a modular approach with multiple apps is that you can have multiple app options on how you want to approach your music workflow. On both iOS and laptop/desktop operating systems we see this approach in the form of AUv3 on iOS and AU/VST on the latter.

To make things manageable for all in one production environments, we’ve seen apps like Gadget or Caustic, you have to sacrifice some integration with other systems in return for internal stability.

I think supporting efforts where AUv3 host apps and AUv3 developers collaborate more to improve the user experience seem like they’d be more sustainable rather than trying to encourage an AUv3 developer to resolve all of your preferred workflows for you.

Similarly adding support for various standards such as AUv3 automation, how AUv3 windows work, AUv3 automation, exposing AUv3 parameters, saving AUv3 presets, Files app support, AUv3 multi-bus out, MIDI ports, Ableton Link, Ableton sets, audio interface I/O, and transport control/integration can be implemented in slightly different ways or not at all which complicates the musician’s experience on iOS. If developers add more features, it can become more difficult to maintain and more confusing for their users to figure out how everything works. Adding new functionality to an existing app that wasn’t designed with those new functions in mind can be challenging and compromise the original design. App developers have to strike a balance between features, user experience, and how to maintain an app. Since a significant proportion of iOS music app developers do so as a hobby or side project, they’re often unfamiliar with many of the functions heavy app users take for granted and may scramble to add some of these in after their app has been released and receive user feedback.

Furthermore, since there are a wide variety of ways in which people prefer to make music, combining different apps together makes more sense than expecting an all in one solution for your specific workflow as this would be a smaller market than for an app with broader appeal.

It’s quite easy to be an armchair developer or ask for what you’d like to have, but it’s much more difficult to evaluate whether these ideas can be realized in an app in a sustainable way. It’s not easy being a music app developer as we’ve seen many of them come and go. We’ve often seen developer’s set out a roadmap for an app’s development and failed to see it materialize (i.e. the best laid plans of mice and app developers).

• It’s funny how many people were so against a hypothetical discussion of extra features that wouldn’t have changed AUM to any major degree, yet did not know that some of the features needed to make those additions work, are already built in to the app already :D

• I will end my time on this thread with one sentence - competition in the host market is needed, as all needs are not being served in iOS music making as yet.

• edited February 2020

I agree that an Ableton like MIDI/Audio clip launcher + automation solution as an AUv3 plugin would also fulfil all my needs and it most probably would not require to change a lot in AUM and would still keep the DAWless charme. I think what we need from AUM to make this come true are some features where I don't know if they do not already exist yet or not:

1. Ability to control AUM MIDI learn for AUv3 plugins and mixer. Use case: auto-configure automation without prior manual MIDI learn
    2. Event model for manual MIDI learn in AUM. Use case: Adjust automation config if user manually maps a hw controller
    3. Events when user adds new AUM channel and new plugins. Use case: Auto-configure newly added synth/fx into the clip launcher
    4. Ability to control AUM MIDI routing. Use case: same as #3
    5. Ability to add new channels and provision them with the clip launcher's AUv3 multi-out plugin. Use case: user adds a new audio clip channel in the clip launcher.

Moreover what I'd expect/wish from such a clip launcher plugin:

• Convenient integration into AUM with lots of auto-configuration (see above)
    • Integration with AudioShare / files app
    • Support of popular pad controllers, eg. Novation launchpad, and others
    • MIDI learn everything
    • AUv3 host sync and Ableton link
    • Focus on session view and recording. No full blown arrangement view - leave that to specialists like Xequence but offer a flexible MIDI export, so users can do arrangements in the tool of their choice.
    • Ableton style workflow as this is what many people know
    • Time stretch and pitch of audio files
    • Sample browser similar to Loopcloud that can do key and tempo adjustments on the fly
  • A couple of things I’d like to see potentially added:

Touch based midi routing mode where you select the midi source without going through a list or on the matrix, touching the app icon instead in the mixer view when the mode is on. (only available sources light up)

Auto populate AU parameter mapping mode: eg The track could listen for sequential midi messages and then assign them to subsequent AU parameters in the list. Then one could write mozaic scripts to assign midi controllers easily to AU parameters automatically. :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    It’s funny how many people were so against a hypothetical discussion of extra features that wouldn’t have changed AUM to any major degree, yet did not know that some of the features needed to make those additions work, are already built in to the app already :D

This happens frequently with many apps and people are often averse to reading the manual or using in app help. This is another reason why developers have to decide who they’re designing their app for because there’s a big difference between someone willing to read a manual versus someone who won’t in terms of how your app will be used and what user expectations will be. I don’t think either group is wrong or right, they simply have different preferences and time constraints as to how much time they’re willing to spend learning an app versus using it.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

So what I’m reading is that you need to establish an LLC, get some funding, and hire some people 😉😜

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:
    Three things and I’d have all I need:

1. Song Position Pointer support ... so AUM’s timeline could sync with other apps such as X2.

Only #1 need be a native AUM modification. Unfortunately the developer isn’t interested. Hence, the absolute need for 2 and 3, which I truly hope someone becomes interested in doing.

Song/timeline position is already included in Host Sync sent by AUM, standardized and available for all AUv3 plugins and IAA apps.

That's not what I meant. I meant AUM following SPP. Would be cool too if it sent SPP along with MIDI clock as well. But ... we've had this conversation before and I understand that you're not interested. Would be great though.

• @Carnbot said:
    A couple of things I’d like to see potentially added:

Touch based midi routing mode where you select the midi source without going through a list or on the matrix, touching the app icon instead in the mixer view when the mode is on. (only available sources light up)

That would be a nice short cut. How would you enter this mode, and how would you select the destination?

• @wim said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

1. Song Position Pointer support ... so AUM’s timeline could sync with other apps such as X2.

Only #1 need be a native AUM modification. Unfortunately the developer isn’t interested. Hence, the absolute need for 2 and 3, which I truly hope someone becomes interested in doing.

Song/timeline position is already included in Host Sync sent by AUM, standardized and available for all AUv3 plugins and IAA apps.

That's not what I meant. I meant AUM following SPP. Would be cool too if it sent SPP along with MIDI clock as well. But ... we've had this conversation before and I understand that you're not interested. Would be great though.

I see. Yeah there's not much point in following MIDI SPP if it's not following MIDI clock :)
    Even better would be if Ableton Link added "locate to song position" to their protocol. They did add play/stop commands after a lot of requests, so maybe!

• @YourJunk said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

So what I’m reading is that you need to establish an LLC, get some funding, and hire some people 😉😜

I already have an LLC (but it's called AB (Aktiebolag) here in Sweden), but I'm not so sure I'm willing to hire people and make the whole thing blow up :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@wim said:

I see. Yeah there's not much point in following MIDI SPP if it's not following MIDI clock :)
    Even better would be if Ableton Link added "locate to song position" to their protocol. They did add play/stop commands after a lot of requests, so maybe!

Agreed re: Link SPP. That would be amazing!
    I was thinking (hoping) that a hybrid approach might be possible. Link for timing + SPP to get to positions on the timeline. I know that's a Frankenstein approach. Last time we talked about this you weren't interested in the idea, so I'm not trying to push it here.

• Personally i just would like to see a few more improvements mainly with the fileplayer.

1. auto create new track + load last recording in player.

2. use fileplayer like a basic sample player. Chromatic and for loops. Pitch and cents correction

3. Currently triggering a loop with midi just doesn't work and audio has clicks.

4. Beat offset smaller than 0,25. Being able to offset the sample by 0.01 increments would be perfect for small corrections or slip a sample into a groove.

5. Save AUM project including all used audio in file players to make it self contained.

The above with Xequence would be just perfect.

1. Scale the interface up and down to see more tracks.

2. Scroll during tap and hold to move a track in one go.

3. Lock the midi mapping window while midi learning using internal apps as a midi source.

• I am more than happy personally that AUM development focus is on live performance. There are countless DAWS out there anyways