Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro’s simultaneous MIDI+Audio

What’s your solution to this? Ive got a 2019 iPad Pro with the singular usb C slot. I’m trying to integrate it into my setup but I’m left stuck.

Ultimately I wanted to use 2 ipads together. My idea was using lemur to make templates for mirack. Would be the ultimate modular ipad setup. Problem being if I use the audio adapter ive got nowhere to send midi in and if I use a usb c hub/adapter to get midi in then i’ve got no way to get audio out. USB adapters with a headphone port don’t seem to exist. I bought a USB C to A wire to plug it into my regular hub and integrate it through the default mac thing to do audio over lightning. It detects it but the enable box is greyed out.

Am I really limited here to buying a designated interface for my one ipad, and even then being unable to charge simultaneously? I am certain I’m not the only one who must have run into this issue. I could obviously record my instruments within an iOS daw but I cant then listen through headphones except Bluetooth ones and that has massive latency

Comments

• edited February 2020

Any USB-C hub will work. Plug it into the iPad, then plug your USB audio interface, and USB MIDI device(s) into the hub.

Or buy an iConnectAudio4+.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Any USB-C hub will work. Plug it into the iPad, then plug your USB audio interface, and USB MIDI device(s) into the hub.

Or buy an iConnectAudio4+.

Yeah I know any interface will work, the problem is I’m trying to integrate it not use it as a centre piece, I’ve got other hardware which all goes into logic and that other hardware includes maschine too. Too many things trying to drive. If I plug my interface into the iPad I can’t plug it into my computer. Kinda sucks to have to add a second interface but I suppose that’s the way it’s going down.

• @J_B said:
    ...to plug it into my regular hub and integrate it through the default mac thing to do audio over lightning. It detects it but the enable box is greyed out.

I wonder if this is the critical issue here. Your Mac might want the iPad to be plugged directly into a built-in USB port, rather than thru your USB hub. Try that and see if you can set up the iDAM stuff.

...just a guess, hope you get it sorted!

• J_BJ_B
    edited February 2020

@Hmtx said:

@J_B said:
    ...to plug it into my regular hub and integrate it through the default mac thing to do audio over lightning. It detects it but the enable box is greyed out.

I wonder if this is the critical issue here. Your Mac might want the iPad to be plugged directly into a built-in USB port, rather than thru your USB hub. Try that and see if you can set up the iDAM stuff.

...just a guess, hope you get it sorted!

That was a good call, but unfortunately nope. Presumably because it’s not an apple wire but Apple doesn’t make a wire. they probably me to buy a new laptop with usb c ports. Frustrating

• Yes, very frustrating... should work fine. Here’s a brief intro/ overview that might or might not provide a bit of extra info

https://www.cultofmac.com/615742/how-to-record-digital-audio-from-your-iphone-to-your-mac-with-idam/

• Hmm. That page suggests that it should be all working even with a usb c to a wire. I spoke to Apple support, tried a new user to make sure it’s system wide and a different cable etc. They’re gonna call me back from the engineering team tomorrow and figure it out. It should work really, it’s not like usb A lacks the bandwidth cause it works fine over lightning. Would be a step backwards to remove it. Other people’s iPads seem to be working fine but I can’t say if they have usb c ports on their laptops

• J_BJ_B
    edited February 2020

Apple got back to me and the fix was updating my OS! Hyped. All working now, just posting in case someone else Google’s the same problem. I was on high Sierra gone to mojave