Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Perspective on equipment

For a while I've read complaints about hardware, panic about updating to ios7, etc, just some food for thought. Not meant to be combatitive or critical if anyone in particular:

My iPad air has yet to do anything I have wanted to do. There was a clip on here yesterday of Delia Derbyshire making music that people were praising with a sine wave and tape decks. And above it, Pete Townsend running organ chords through a vcs3 filter. And switched on Bach was recorded 1 bar at a time in spots because the tuning needed to be maintained. Serious "limitations" that seem to have produced lasting tracks, because people did the best with what they have instead of focusing on what they didn't have.

I'm not defending apple, just saying that a different perspective may help. My air does everything I need and was a big step up from my ipad2. And I still did plenty on that.

If I think back to just a few years ago, when none of this existed, it amazes me that my whole studio fits in a backpack (with interface and some mics even) and weighs just a few pounds. Since I've never had a proper studio and have always enjoyed guerrilla type recording, the iPad completely fits the bill, and has come really far in just a few short years. And 4 years from now I expect it will be unbelievable as well.

So, as I fall off my soapbox and injure myself (at least I could sit in my hospital bed and make music!), go make the best music you can with what you have.

Comments

• edited February 2014

Kind of a worthless commentary really.

People are already doing the best they can with what they have. What else would they be doing?

I've got a commentary to share with everyone too. Breathe air!

• I think that's a useful commentary :)

• I also agree. There was a time when I had a sailor's bag full of gear, a Roland SH-1000, a four-track recorder, an effect unit, lots of cables, which weighted in total about 20 kilograms or more. Now I have an iPad and an interface and sometimes a microphone which don't count much in weight and size. I think we're in heaven.