Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthesizers are obsolete

Comments

• i believe our advantage now, is not so much in the sound , but in the form

we can create anywhere

with simple skin swipes on screen

knobs or no knobs, (as a comment above says) this is for the old folks! ;))

• @u0421793 said: there’ll be a R.Mutt moment soon, or already has been and I’ve missed it.

you missed it perhaps because you're expecting it to appear in the form of a urinal.

I agree with @LinearLineman that you're making the wheezings of an old fogey. piano is obsolete. book is obsolete. pop is obsolete. contentment is obsolete.

Pop has fractured into a million pieces and lots of old people are confused by the state of things because they either don't resemble the familiar, or they seem to be pale reworkings of things that they hold dear. I for one am happy that it is easier than ever to get into synthesis. and for me the fact that you don't have to be wealthy to access wonderful sounding instruments is a good thing. Is the state of pop music better for it? who cares?

what is obsolete is the notion of "important art". the intensifying algorithmic-mind-control-echo-chambers (aka social media) is the bigger contributor to this problem then the synthesizer.

if synths are obsolete then stop using them. making some noise on a forum for mostly middle aged men who play with synths is not going to convince anyone of much other than your own bitterness.

• @u0421793 said:

Classical music was invented to evoke and sound traditional...

So there were a bunch of musicians (or were they businessmen?) around who planned and produced "classical" music (which period are we talking about here?), with a specific aim in mind?

Learn something new every day. Wake up sheeple!

• @kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@YourJunk said:
    Alright, adding something of substance to this convo, synth is widely appreciated so much more now than it ever was.

Think of the pissed off Van Halen fans when they first heard “Jump”. And now synth is used in damn near every type of music.

That's the one that made me a fan. I was 8 or 9 at Disneyland, heard it and bought it immediately. First album I ever bought with my own money. :heart: (Then I bought a pack of smokes)

Might as well smoke.

Now that was funny.

• Wait until Endlesss blows all ye Boomer minds clean out of the water. It is music as multi player online game, and every time I hear new EDM tunes on Spotify these days I chuckle and say “that’s not half as interesting as the stuff that several random Endlesssers from across the globe tossed out without breaking a sweat last night. And then promptly forgot about it because a new jam was already taking off...” Music as currently thought about as a product may die faster than anyone thinks...

• edited February 2020

Much as I love any thread that throws out Ecclesiastes, it is those who consider obsolescence who suffer from it. All the kids out on the back porch (these are real kids on a real porch currently smoking weed in the Austin night) are listening to a huge range of noise. We were cavemen by comparison. They will also die but it is of no concern to them today and therein, Horatio, etc etc.

Carry on :)

• There are times...

There are just times when there is nothing one can do that
    at least feels like it makes any sense at all...

This is the time to play the Keytar while nude. Something loud and overwrought.
    Stopping only to pound a drum until collapsing from exhaustion. (Be sure to hydrate and get electrolytes.)

There are times...
    When you realize...

...that is all.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Wait until Endlesss blows all ye Boomer minds clean out of the water. It is music as multi player online game, and every time I hear new EDM tunes on Spotify these days I chuckle and say “that’s not half as interesting as the stuff that several random Endlesssers from across the globe tossed out without breaking a sweat last night. And then promptly forgot about it because a new jam was already taking off...” Music as currently thought about as a product may die faster than anyone thinks...

Oh Lord Sleepwalker you do speak truths. Now that I can use Endless offline I am simply stunned by it’s impact on my workflow, so much so I have started buying furniture to accommodate it. Some of the jams I have been in have been like religious experiences. All while in bunny slippers on the couch 🐰

• @SimonSomeone said:

@u0421793 said:

Classical music was invented to evoke and sound traditional...

So there were a bunch of musicians (or were they businessmen?) around who planned and produced "classical" music (which period are we talking about here?), with a specific aim in mind?

Learn something new every day. Wake up sheeple!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invented_tradition

• It’s all just replication, with a tweak, just immerse yourself fully and savour it’s funkiness. Until you are repurposed.

• Humans make musical instruments from what they have to hand. Nothing surprising. From our capability in building analog circuits to the digital revolution. The flow of novelty in synthesis is going to slow down as we've covered a lot of ground. We figured out what works well and as time goes by what was ground breaking and radical becomes well trodden and familiar. I don't see this as necessary a bad thing it's just the way it goes.
    Instruments are never obsolete, people still play bagpipes and hurdy gurdies. Maybe the question is one of relevancy. The rise of the Internet is this centuries cultural revolution and I'm not sure where it's going yet but given the fact that someone with just a phone can produce and distribute their own music is pretty mind blowing. Where we go with that is anyone's guess.

• Take the traditional folk music scene. I got sucked in for a few years and I've no idea how it happened. The purists get furious if you change so much as a note. In pre industrial times yes it was completely authentic, people used what was to hand. Exposure to musical ideas for a lot of people was restricted to someone remembering a ditty they heard and half remembered and church music. What someone could bang out half drunk on a probably badly tuned fiddle.
    It's contrived in the extreme to throw on the blinkers and ignore the wealth of music available to us and what we can take from that. Fusion is authentic. It's who we are now.

• edited February 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Much as I love any thread that throws out Ecclesiastes, it is those who consider obsolescence who suffer from it. All the kids out on the back porch (these are real kids on a real porch currently smoking weed in the Austin night) are listening to a huge range of noise. We were cavemen by comparison.

Not many kids smoking weed in porches, here in the flooded Welsh fields, but I hear what you’re saying about the range of sounds. There’s some pretty incredible noises being knocked out by ‘young people’ these days, and us ageing synth farmers can discover them via this internet they have these days.

Not sure about the caveman bit though - just as many middle-aged balding men in sheds knocking out unique, new, mind-bending soundscapes, as there are dull, Ableton-loops-by-numbers young pop-wannabes, thinking they’ve made something modern and cool. Possibly more. Their minds burned and twisted by decades of hallucinogenic drug experimentation, desperately trying to recreate a moment of satori they experienced in 1979.

Nothing autobiographical in the statement above by the way, I’ve got a lovely head of hair.

• Forums are obsolete. We should be ranting on twitch streaming each afternoon... or making synced dancing at IG...

• [[Not unrelated enough to be a separate thread, bu nearly was:]]

The analogue sequencer was authentic and real.

The digital multitrack sequencer (and the software sequencer running on home computers) was also authentic, the real thing.

As soon as computer based sequencers got audio tracks and a mixer (and later, plugins I believe), they became the imitation.

Now with iPads and iPhones we’re back at the real thing (with the exception of Cubasis and Auria (but not Yamaha Mobile Seq (which had an update the other day, I haven’t tried it in a while))).

• @legsmechanical said:

@u0421793 said:
    No shortage of echoes of 303 like boxes, but that’s not peak subtractive, that’s just some folklore that became a cargo cult.

In all seriousness, this is the most insightful thing I’ve read about electronic music in all my many years of tweaking knobs and lurking on gear forums.

Kudos, sir.

Yes I also loved that line, awesome!

• @u0421793 said:
    [[Not unrelated enough to be a separate thread, bu nearly was:]]

The analogue sequencer was authentic and real.

The digital multitrack sequencer (and the software sequencer running on home computers) was also authentic, the real thing.

As soon as computer based sequencers got audio tracks and a mixer (and later, plugins I believe), they became the imitation.

Now with iPads and iPhones we’re back at the real thing (with the exception of Cubasis and Auria (but not Yamaha Mobile Seq (which had an update the other day, I haven’t tried it in a while))).

I’m sorry to break the news to you my friend but I’m afraid you’ve begun the process of going senile

• edited February 2020

@LinearLineman said:
    @u0421793, I can’t believe how kind the forum members have been to you! Well, let me put that to an end.

Let me chip in too: you're talking complete shite!

Electronic music obsolete? Hahahaha that couldn't be further than the truth - it's in rude health, probably the best it's been in years

Good troll though! This thread made me laugh on a Friday morning :D

• @AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Wait until Endlesss blows all ye Boomer minds clean out of the water. It is music as multi player online game, and every time I hear new EDM tunes on Spotify these days I chuckle and say “that’s not half as interesting as the stuff that several random Endlesssers from across the globe tossed out without breaking a sweat last night. And then promptly forgot about it because a new jam was already taking off...” Music as currently thought about as a product may die faster than anyone thinks...

Oh Lord Sleepwalker you do speak truths. Now that I can use Endless offline I am simply stunned by it’s impact on my workflow, so much so I have started buying furniture to accommodate it. Some of the jams I have been in have been like religious experiences. All while in bunny slippers on the couch 🐰

Wait, bunny slippers aren’t obsolete?

• Definitely obsolete. As obsolete as rock and roll. As obsolete as punk. As obsolete as pop festivals. As obsolete as T-shirts with graphics on. As obsolete as television. As obsolete as psychotherapy. As obsolete as Easy Rider. As obsolete as Dada. As obsolete as Monty Python.

• Ok, what is new (or actual) ?

• I don’t know yet. I suspect it is what we move on to once we remove authorship; ownership; gatekeeping distribution ways; individual claims to superstardom; the tired old beat; the verse/chorus distinction; the distance between some aspects of the music industry and the closeness of other aspects; maybe the idea that it is an industry. I don’t know, but I can’t wait.

• @Acetone said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @u0421793, I can’t believe how kind the forum members have been to you! Well, let me put that to an end.

Electronic music obsolete? Hahahaha that couldn't be further than the truth - it's in rude health, probably the best it's been in years

So if electronic music is in rude health then how about classical music? Been around for hundreds of years and the compositions these days are certainly not easy listening (in most cases).

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Acetone said:

@LinearLineman said:

So if electronic music is in rude health then how about classical music? Been around for hundreds of years and the compositions these days are certainly not easy listening (in most cases).

I consider classical music to be in the same state as the Crown Court in the legal system, wigs and all.

• I'd say they've just become traditional... still good, but no longer anything special or unique.

• @u0421793 said:
    Definitely obsolete. As obsolete as rock and roll. As obsolete as punk. As obsolete as pop festivals. As obsolete as T-shirts with graphics on. As obsolete as television. As obsolete as psychotherapy. As obsolete as Easy Rider. As obsolete as Dada. As obsolete as Monty Python.

• Sorry, do not want to bother you guys, so DRAMBO is already obsolete? Oh my g

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Much as I love any thread that throws out Ecclesiastes, it is those who consider obsolescence who suffer from it. All the kids out on the back porch (these are real kids on a real porch currently smoking weed in the Austin night) are listening to a huge range of noise. We were cavemen by comparison.

Not many kids smoking weed in porches, here in the flooded Welsh fields, but I hear what you’re saying about the range of sounds. There’s some pretty incredible noises being knocked out by ‘young people’ these days, and us ageing synth farmers can discover them via this internet they have these days.

Not sure about the caveman bit though - just as many middle-aged balding men in sheds knocking out unique, new, mind-bending soundscapes, as there are dull, Ableton-loops-by-numbers young pop-wannabes, thinking they’ve made something modern and cool. Possibly more. Their minds burned and twisted by decades of hallucinogenic drug experimentation, desperately trying to recreate a moment of satori they experienced in 1979.

Nothing autobiographical in the statement above by the way, I’ve got a lovely head of hair.

Nicely done Monz....