Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUv3 Drum Machines with both sounds and sequencing?

Looking for examples of AUv3 drum machines with both a sound engine and a sequencing engine. I regularly (and happily) hook up drum sequencer AUs and drum sound AUs but am looking to simplify for some situations. Searching the forum, I’ve only come up with these:

• Beathawk
  • Digistix
  • EG Pulse

Of those, I only own Beathawk which feels like overkill. Are there others I should check out?

Use case: I have an song idea in my head and want something more than a metronome. Want to be able to load an AU in AUM and have a drum beat going as quickly as possible. I don’t wanna spend time routing stuff to other stuff to get a simple beat going because my musical memory is depressingly fragile!

Bought Playbeat thinking it would be the answer but no sounds in AU mode (best I can tell anyway).

I think what I’m really aching for is something like the AU version of @artkerns mighty FunkBox. Stupid quick to pull up a good sounding beat and easy to tweak if you need to. Since that doesn’t exist, please share with me your learnings.

Comments

• Other than the ones you mention, DrumPerfect Player but you need to load up your presets first.
    Also, Elliott Garage’s other drum AUs.

• edited February 2020

Don’t know if that fits but wouldn‘t that also qualify Pure Acid, Playbeat, Noir, Poly 2 and even Egoist?
    Each can load samples/provide sounds and have some kind of sequencing internally.
    In Playbeat you have to load samples - it is empty initially but building a „unit“ preset“ inside AUM (or any other DAW) with classic drum samples will not take any longer than 1 to two minutes.

Another thing is, as you especially name AUM: Have you thought about building custom drum setups as kinda „modules“ and import them if you want one? You could setup different drum patches inside AUM, save them as „modules“ and just import them if you need them. You could build a whole arsenal of drumsets that way with different characteristics and stuff...

I feel the same about Beathawk. „It feels“ aged inside its big UI - that’s why i probably never use it.

• edited February 2020

Or if you are using AUM then just keep a couple of drum loop wav files in AudioShare at the top of the folder so always within easy reach in AUM?

• yes you have to load samples into playbeat but is really easy and has a mega fast work flow while being fun and light on cpu with good properties like swing and attak/decay

• edited February 2020

here are a few synth based drum AUV3s you might want to look into:

Pure Acid has a very nice 808 style drum synth and sequencer.
    Ruismaker Noir
    Axon 2

• edited February 2020

@syrupcore said:
    Looking for examples of AUv3 drum machines with both a sound engine and a sequencing engine. I regularly (and happily) hook up drum sequencer AUs and drum sound AUs but am looking to simplify for some situations. Searching the forum, I’ve only come up with these:

• Beathawk
    • Digistix
    • EG Pulse

Of those, I only own Beathawk which feels like overkill. Are there others I should check out?

Use case: I have an song idea in my head and want something more than a metronome. Want to be able to load an AU in AUM and have a drum beat going as quickly as possible. I don’t wanna spend time routing stuff to other stuff to get a simple beat going because my musical memory is depressingly fragile!

Bought Playbeat thinking it would be the answer but no sounds in AU mode (best I can tell anyway).

I think what I’m really aching for is something like the AU version of @artkerns mighty FunkBox. Stupid quick to pull up a good sounding beat and easy to tweak if you need to. Since that doesn’t exist, please share with me your learnings.

Playbeat has sound in AU mode, you just have to resize the window to much larger than it defaults to, to get the whole interface so you can load your sounds.

• heshes
    edited February 2020

DrumGenius is an app with lots and lots of great sounding drum loops, nice to use instead of a metronome. It's mostly jazz but has a good number of funk loops, too. The app itself is free with the loops as in-app-purchases. You get 3 free loops of your choice. If you liked it then, you could get all the funky loops for a buck or two.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/drumgenius/id492279351

EDIT: actually, checking on this I don't think DrumGenius supports auv3 (or iaa), and I don't think there's any easy way to get access to its sample files; seems to be pretty much a stand-alone black box.

• Of course, Pure Acid is ready and loaded with drum preset sounds and rhythms ready to roll. Super quick and great sounding AU.

(I took this requirement as being AU and having sounds ready rolled, no loading of samples ideally?)

• Why not just save a channel already set up with sequencer and auv3 and ready to go which can be loaded into AUM with one tap?

You can even have a simple beat programmed into a sequencer to get going instantly.

It’s probably quicker to load a channel than a drum auv3 too. (When you tap the + button just tap import instead of audio or MIDI and choose one of your AUM projects to add to a new One. It can contain as many tracks as you like)

• Holy AB forum to the rescue, Batman!

Thanks all. Good stuff. Especially happy to know that I just need to look/try a little harder with Playbeat.

• @gusgranite said:
    Also, Elliott Garage’s other drum AUs.

Had no idea. Thanks!

• Axon 2 by Audio Damage is nice little rhythm generator.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/axon-2/id1289090729?ls=1&mt=8

Easy to load up a preset and tweak.

Just wish it was universal.