Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Extracting perfect loops from AUM-recorded jam sessions

Hey all,

While jamming, I'll try my best to use 'Sync Quantum' in AUM, so that I can get a few 'perfect loops' recorded. But when I get into the flow, I'll find myself doing all sorts of interesting things, much of which repeats at loopable points, but... for these... I'm not sure the best way to go back and extract those loops. Any tips?

I'm open to iOS Apps, Ableton, Audacity, Audition, anything really. Presently I have the longer files recorded and transferred to my desktop windows machine, but I'm really not looking forward to hand-slicing every loop out of the sessions, for use in something like Ableton Clip view, or Blocs, etc.

I've found all sorts of AI/ML-based solutions for 'looping songs into infinity' but that's not really what I'm looking for. I'd like to highlight a portion of a song that sounds like it certainly has loops within it, and have the program auto slice by transient or similar.

What would you all recommend?

Comments

• I use Audio Evolution for exactly what you’re doing. Its tempo grid snap is great for this.

• edited February 2020

Thanks, Monkey! Do you use the iOS version?

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 4+
    by Davy Wentzler

• edited February 2020

Would be interesting to try. Though... having moved all iOS audio files to Windows 10 / the cloud, I wonder if moving them all back to use this will be practical? Oh, I suppose I could just load them from iOS as long as they're accessible via cloud storage.

I'm watching this, which seems related?

• This looks like another option:

• edited February 2020

+1 for Audio Evolution, totally underrated as an audio editor.
    Skicing isn't automatic but once you've fine-adjusted the grid (bpm and offset) to match the audio track, slicing is just a matter of tapping roughly at the slice positions and grid snapping will take care of slicing on-beat.
    It won't work for tracks with human bpm variations but great with modern tracks.

• edited February 2020

Auditor does some of this, with more looping tools planned, and is also a file player that can run in AUM

https://livingmemorysoftware.com/auditor/

• AudioShare has a snappable grid that is often overlooked.

• @MrBlaschke said:
    AudioShare has a snappable grid that is often overlooked.

+1 Usually my first stop for trimming the best part of an extended loop recorded in AUM..
    The bpm is in the file name by default.. just make sure the snap grid in AudioShare is set to the same thing.. quick, easy.. no fuss,no muss.

• @inakarmacoma said:
    Thanks, Monkey! Do you use the iOS version?

Audio Evolution Mobile Studio 4+

Yup.

• @royor said:

@MrBlaschke said:

+1 Usually my first stop for trimming the best part of an extended loop recorded in AUM..
    The bpm is in the file name by default.. just make sure the snap grid in AudioShare is set to the same thing.. quick, easy.. no fuss,no muss.

Yep. I first make sure the beginning point is as accurate as possible, with snap turned off. Then turn on snap and do the end point. If I need to go deeper then it's off to Auditor.

• Don’t crop your loop from the first cycle if you want to “wrap the tail”.

• @wim said:

@royor said:

@MrBlaschke said:

Yep. I first make sure the beginning point is as accurate as possible, with snap turned off. Then turn on snap and do the end point. If I need to go deeper then it's off to Auditor.

+2

• Oh, wow. I had Auditor already, but I did not notice the 'Loop Tools' section. Was very easy to play w/ both methods. Thank you!

@mojozart said:
    Auditor does some of this, with more looping tools planned, and is also a file player that can run in AUM

https://livingmemorysoftware.com/auditor/