Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Video for Bip by solha, Demo and Tutorial,

So this was suggested by Thinds in another thread, so I have done a bip vid before but removed it. This is much better, since its on the bus, cool app and really nice sound.

Comments

• Cheers Doug, that was unexpected and much appreciated.

Looks as if you still have to programme each block separately. There is no copy function it seems or am I missing that?

Tony

• edited March 2014

• @Simon I'm glad it's not just me that has difficulty with it.

• Hi Tony, well the good news is you can copy a block with all its sounds or just copy the sound you want, its just a little odd.

This is what you do, we are in luck that the screen shot I used for the video is where we want to be.

You see the two little overlapping circles below the select/record button, well put your finger on it but leave it there and then put your finger on the block you want to copy, if the whole block is selected ie all the colours are visible you get a copy all or clear all, select copy all then paste into an emply block in the same way.

Alternatively you can copy and paste just the selected sound, you can toggle between all sounds in a block or single sounds by switching the record/select button at the top.
    Hope this helps, let me know.

• edited March 2014

• Ahhh, you have to leave your finger on the copy function! Will have yet another go later. I hate software getting the better of me. I think its an age thing!

Once again. thanks.

• edited February 2014

Yeah bip is different, this is probably why it suffered, but if you take a bit of time you can get it to do some nice stuff, the included samples are very good and you can swap and change as you please, its like Simon says if its not obvious then people will lose interest and thats true. As uses we want to get the job done and not spend all the live long day trying to work out the basics.

I hope this video goes a little way to improving bips rep.

• edited March 2014

• edited February 2014

I bought Bip a while back and it took a while for me to have my "aha" moment where things clicked but I think it's pretty cool. I have much more fun with it now that I know what I'm doing, I don't create whole tracks with it but I don't think that's what it's designed for. Like most iPhone apps there's a lot of switching screens so that's par for the course for a phone app. I put it on my iPad too but I like it much better on the phone, where the nine buttons on the Beats page are just the right distance apart and feel better to play than on the iPad. The beats page reminds me a bit of playing in Figure or Drumjam, where you slide your finger around over the circles and make groovy beats or trigger whatever you put in the slots.

When you create a new blank song you will have to load each of the nine slots in that track (color) but as Doug said you can trigger the samples in pretty neat ways and each of the nine slots for each track can be set up differently to trigger whatever you load, in different rhythms too. I haven't imported any samples of my own yet but the recent update supposedly made that a lot easier to do.

I recently recorded a 4 bar loop in bip that wasn't all that great but I exported it to Sector and it exported perfectly, no trimming needed. It ended up being a perfect loop to slice up. I used the step sequencer in Sector to chop up the loop and created the track in Sector.

If you create a new song then you get an option on the track page to load different presets which will configure that track including the nine slots down on the Beats page.
    It think it's a cool app, it reminds me of Triq Traq a little too.

• edited March 2014

• Ah yes, I'm going to give it a try in Sector and I think Effectrix would be very out there.

• I think this goes to show the benefit of instructional videos. Not sure how successful this app has been for the dev, but if they had done a decent promo I venture it would have done better.

• hi. steph here, developer of bip.

firstly, thanks @thesoundtestroom for making the video. it's great to watch and listen to someone describe how to use it. i have had plans to make some instructional videos, have written the scripts, have organised someone to film it.... but have had no time to shoot them. after reading this thread, i think i will put it further up the to-do list.

in defence of the design and ux of bip. there has been a tremendous amount of thought gone into the the way bip works and its work flow. it is unconventional in many respects as is bip's fundamental approach to making sequence music. i believe this is one of it's most important features. that said, there is a learning curve for all users. i encourage users to read the on-line manual. i've tried to be clear with short descriptions and naming of every feature and function. the manual is also structured like the app for quicker access. if you have read the manual and it hasn't been helpful or you have suggestions, i would the feedback. i really want all users to get the most out of the app.

as @yowza suggests, creating a new song may also help in understanding the app. perhaps a simpler demo song should be included. a number of the demo songs are almost complete and may seem complex as an introduction.

thanks to everyone for purchasing bip and giving it a go. there are some awesome new features coming out over the next few months, beginning with the recent release of 1.4 with sampling/importing features.

if anyone has any other feedback, i would really love to hear them.

cheers steph

• Hey Steph, good to see you here! Looking forward to your videos, demos and new features. Even after Dougs great effort I still find this app unwieldy and difficult to operate in any useful way. Possibly I have built up a mental block after too many frustrating starts over an extended period. It's a great looking app though and I can appreciate the effort you've put into it.

Will probably wait on the updates before I make another attempt

• Hey Steven, great to see another developer taking notice of this forum. I too have watched the few videos on YouTube and wanted to buy the app but just being intimidated by it. If you do a demo video that covers the basics I promise you that you'll have many more buyers, including me.

• edited February 2014

Love how the beats are just so different and beautiful and the interface is very pleasant to my eyes. I'll definitely give it another go after sampling/importing features are added. Just wondering if there are plans for making it universal, would be cool but no big deal if not, just curious.

• I'll add that what I've seen looks interesting, but like several others, my understanding of how to take advantage of it has relegated it to non-use status. I'd love to learn how to take advantage of this fully and put it back on the map. Doug's vid and the dev's comments leave me hopeful.

• edited March 2014

@soh_la Just got the app a few days ago and really love it. It took a little bit get my head around it, but I can see it being really great to pick-up and go. The only problem I have found with it for me is that if I don't have headphones plugged in, the audio comes out the earpiece speaker (The one that you normally have your ear against when on the phone) on the iPhone5, not the normal bottom one unless I run it through audiobus with output to the speaker. If I leave it playing in the background and kill audiobus the audio will again switch to output on the earpiece speaker.

• @Telengard thanks for the heads up. you are right. i'll fix this for the next release.

@firejan82 aaron and i would love to do an ipad version for bip. we are currently working on new features so have no time. but the more users ask, the more chance we may do it one day. thanks for asking and really glad you like the app.

@funjunkie27 @RJB @thinds thanks to this thread, i've booked some time in to make some tutorials in a couple of weeks. i'll post on this thread when they are up.

• Cheers Steph much appreciated

• edited March 2014

Awesome! It really is a fun app to kinda "jam" on. I keep getting cool little rhythms when I just start throwing things in the mix and mess with the track bar lengths.

• Great! I had lazily added Bip to my watch list to pick it up some day... And this was a year ago!!! ..I thought I would pick it up Maybe when there was more talk about it or videos and some community interest..or even a sale !... It's been a year now !!
    The way to play the samples / notes seemed really smooth and fast but the interface looked complex with no text labels so was just waiting on that :-)

Maybe with some more videos and frequent updates the broader community will take a look at it !

• edited March 2014

I picked up Bip after watching this video. Lovely app ;)

EDITED 04/03:
    I complained about stability issues with samples, but later found it was a java app that i was using causing problems with the samples i was importing, not a problem with bip itself.

• Looking forwards to the tutorials @soh_la.

• edited March 2014

Are you trying to import loops? Maybe your samples are too long? Just a guess.
    I haven't had any crashes at all but I'm only importing one shots like drum sounds and bass note samples from AudioShare. I haven't had any problems importing sounds.

Edit: I reread your post, did you try to reimport the bad sample? Maybe it was a corrupt file, memory issue? Whenever it has crashed on me in the past bip sent a crash report home so maybe they'll fix it. Send them an email, I got a very quick response when I sent in some feature requests.

• @soh_la Good stuff! Looking forward to any Bip update.

• @Buska hi steph here, developer of bip. can you send me an email via [email protected] with more details of what you are trying to do and maybe with an example file of the sample causing the crash. Then i can start working out what the issue is.
    cheers

• edited March 2014

-deleted-

• @soh_la said:

@Buska hi steph here, developer of bip. can you send me an email via [email protected] with more details of what you are trying to do and maybe with an example file of the sample causing the crash. Then i can start working out what the issue is.
    cheers

Yes I will email you all the samples in a .rar.
    Thanks!!

• @soh_la

ok so i was putting together some samples that were causing the crash and i realized that all the samples causing problems had at some point gone through MPC Maid. I then tried to import the problem samples into reason and reason threw out an error. Ok so here's where i realized this problem had nothing to do with your app.. I then exported those samples in full loops and chopped with recycle and i haven't experienced any problem tonight so far! been doing lots of tests and all is rosy.

I feel like a complete f&kwit for not realizing this the first time round and I hope I haven't scared away any potential customers because of my mistake.

I have been meaning to make an iPad video jam, and as a olive branch of goodwill i will make this app my first iPad video upload.

Sorrrry :(