Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do i set bm3 as master and aum as slave using midi clock? Any tips appreciated

I can send midi clock from aum to bm3 but cannot see a setting within aum to receive midi clock from bm3. My plan is to have aum start when i press play in bm3.
Any screenshots or videos or tips much appreciated.
I don’t use Ableton Link as its not too stable

Comments

• edited February 2020

That's a long-standing AUM feature request but it just doesn't seem to happen.
    The only supporting modular AUv3 host that I know of is apeMatrix.

The only workaround I can imagine is mapping a MIDI controller to the AUM transport controls to let you start AUM while it's in the background.

• This is my #1 AUM feature request... MIDI CLOCK SLAVE. It’s near prefect beside that.

• @apex @rs2000 ok cheers for info

• @Apex said:
    This is my #1 AUM feature request... MIDI CLOCK SLAVE. It’s near prefect beside that.

+1

Maybe @j_liljedahl would be so kind to reconsider. It's definitely possible, as seen in other DAWs like BM3 and Groove Rider.

• @rs2000 said:

@Apex said:
    This is my #1 AUM feature request... MIDI CLOCK SLAVE. It’s near prefect beside that.

+1

Maybe @j_liljedahl would be so kind to reconsider. It's definitely possible, as seen in other DAWs like BM3 and Groove Rider.

Of course its possible. Midi clock sync has been a thing since the 80’s. The recent addition of external midi clock to BM3 was glorious. There’s some of us that are using iOS in our studios in conjunction with hardware synths/samplers/sequencers. Hopefully it happens at some point, because AUM is my main workspace on an ipad.

• @Apex said:

@rs2000 said:

@Apex said:

+1

Of course its possible. Midi clock sync has been a thing since the 80’s. The recent addition of external midi clock to BM3 was glorious. There’s some of us that are using iOS in our studios in conjunction with hardware synths/samplers/sequencers. Hopefully it happens at some point, because AUM is my main workspace on an ipad.

Do your hardware devices not follow midi clock?

• Why not just use Link with Start/Stop to slave AUM? Or does BM3 not have Link Start/Stop? I don’t have my iPad to check.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Apex said:

@rs2000 said:

@Apex said:

+1

Of course, but why would I want to use a jittery, latency having clock source like an ipad when I can use something rock solid like a Cirklon? When somebody comes out with a “sample accurate” solution like Innerclock or E-RM for iOS, then maybe.

• edited February 2020

@wim said:
    Why not just use Link with Start/Stop to slave AUM? Or does BM3 not have Link Start/Stop? I don’t have my iPad to check.

LINK offers neither instant positioning nor instant start. In most cases (when working with loops or patterns that are running all the time) that's not a problem but sometimes you want full control from one master providing the clock reference, and LINK has not been designed to offer that.
    Both have their good uses but they cannot replace each other.

• In that case, I suggest Audiobus. It has global transport and excellent link/midi clock bridging.

• @wim said:
    In that case, I suggest Audiobus. It has global transport and excellent link/midi clock bridging.

+111

• @wim said:
    In that case, I suggest Audiobus. It has global transport and excellent link/midi clock bridging.

👍🏼

• @Apex said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Apex said:

@rs2000 said:

@Apex said:

+1

Of course, but why would I want to use a jittery, latency having clock source like an ipad when I can use something rock solid like a Cirklon? When somebody comes out with a “sample accurate” solution like Innerclock or E-RM for iOS, then maybe.

Slaving an iOS app with external MIDI clock is certainly a way to get jitter :)
    Ableton Link is a lot more precise and jitter free as far as I can tell.

That said, MIDI clock slaving in AUM is on my huge list of things to implement in the future, since it has been a steady feature request.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Apex said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Apex said:

@rs2000 said:

@Apex said:

+1

That said, MIDI clock slaving in AUM is on my huge list of things to implement in the future, since it has been a steady feature request.

LINK internally uses a very precise and stable clock. You can use the same principle for MIDI clock, and I would highly recommend to leave +/- offset and MIDI clock integration/averaging time adjustment to the user because I agree that there is no perfect parameter set for all use cases.

• @rs2000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Apex said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Apex said:

@rs2000 said:

@Apex said:

+1

LINK internally uses a very precise and stable clock. You can use the same principle for MIDI clock, and I would highly recommend to leave +/- offset and MIDI clock integration/averaging time adjustment to the user because I agree that there is no perfect parameter set for all use cases.

How do you mean I can use the same principle for MIDI clock? Link gives the exact time information associated with each render cycle. MIDI clock is just a slow/sparse stream of timestamped clock ticks, some times quite unstable or jittery.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@rs2000 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Apex said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Apex said:

@rs2000 said:

@Apex said:

+1

How do you mean I can use the same principle for MIDI clock? Link gives the exact time information associated with each render cycle. MIDI clock is just a slow/sparse stream of timestamped clock ticks, some times quite unstable or jittery.

No, what I mean is more like the PLL (Phase locked loop) principle: You have a stable internal clock that is only controlled by incoming MIDI clock ticks and indeed they need to be pre-processed e.g. by averaging clock pulses and finally fixing the offset caused by AUM's audio buffer and possibly other factors.
    I think that when using unstable MIDI clock (which is rare when using a hardware sequencer or groove box), this will reflect in more or less jumping BPM values inside AUM so the user is aware that he should use a better clock source.
    It works very well in GR16, in BM3, in Gadget and others so I see no reason not to work in AUM.
    You have already added the disclaimer about potential MIDI clock instabilities and I'm sure that the majority of users will happily accept that.

• I'm personally a massive fan of Ableton Link since Start/Stop. There are a number of reasons why it's superior to MIDI clock on iOS.

It would be cool if they updated it to select an app as a master.

AUM slaved to non jittery MIDI hardware would also be nice.

• @BroCoast said:
    I'm personally a massive fan of Ableton Link since Start/Stop. There are a number of reasons why it's superior to MIDI clock on iOS.

It would be cool if they updated it to select an app as a master.

Like said, one cannot completely replace the other, it really depends on what your setup is like.
    LINK has no master/slave concept by design but, although not officially supported as a master/slave scenario, a LINK member can indeed act like a "master" by propagating its own bpm updates. Mixvibes Beat Detect makes good use of that by offering bpm adjustment and Nudge buttons.

AUM slaved to non jittery MIDI hardware would also be nice.

That would certainly be a classic use case.