Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

adsr auv3 ?

does such an app exist??
so many uses if so...

if not maybe there’s a synth that lets you load it in an effects slot and use its adsr

Comments

• What are you going to use if for?

Possibility:
    WoodnGate has an ADSR
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/woodngate/id1436196516

• @audiblevideo said:
    What are you going to use if for?

Possibility:
    WoodnGate has an ADSR
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/woodngate/id143 6196516

well i want to run a series of synths thru it on an aum channel and control the asdr of the sound coming out for fades and sustains... also i have presets in my synths that i like how they are set with the asdr but with an external one i could further edit some of the sounds...i have a bunch of ideas n my head but i dunno if they will work... might do some looking into wood stepper!

• FAC Envolver ? Not ADSR in exact sense but it does what you want, i think

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fac-envolver/id1378195291

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

FAC Envolver is an audio triggered Envelope controller. Send it audio and it will trigger cc’s that follow envelope curves. These can be sent to synths to control synth parameters, or volume faders in AB, AUM, etc.

The MIDI ADSR Mozaic script is triggered by MIDI notes and also sends out cc’s that follow envelope curves and can be used in the same way.

• Perforator can also send out cc’s with adjustments for attack, decay, and slope.

• edited February 2020

@reasOne said:
    if not maybe there’s a synth that lets you load it in an effects slot and use its adsr

Synthmaster One definitely does. If you tap the preset area and select Init Preset you automatically get input left and right as oscillator sources and no filters. You need to enable Osc 2 and pan them if you want stereo though.

• @jipumarino said:

@reasOne said:

Synthmaster One definitely does. If you tap the preset area and select Init Preset you automatically get input left and right as oscillator sources and no filters. You need to enable Osc 2 and pan them if you want stereo though.

Thanks for the trick. This is very usefull to create new approach to sounds modeling. I never noticed that Synthmaster can be inserted in the effect slot

• @reasOne i know exactly what you mean. I posted about the need for an ADSR Au some months ago . But does not seem to be one.

• Not helpful right now, but Drambo is able to do this as an audio effect.

• @jipumarino thats really cool, I had never used synthmaster as an effect before.

• :) It really is a powerful synth, I used to do it a lot with the original SynthMaster in desktop

Btw, you can also use iVCS3, either with the full synth or using the separate AU modules, though its envelope generator is rather unconventional.

• @jipumarino said:
    Btw, you can also use iVCS3, either with the full synth or using the separate AU modules, though its envelope generator is rather unconventional.

Yes, iVCS gives you the ENV AU extension that is an AHR envelope coupled with VCA (it's really not that weird!).

AHR being Attack, Hold, Release. The On knob controls the hold, aka, the full On portion of the cycle. The Off knob controls the full off period. To use it as an envelope just set the "Off" knob all the way to 10/Manual, otherwise it works like a cycling LFO+VCA.

You can trigger the envelope manually with the Attack button, or there's a "Music Effect" version that allows you to directly assign MIDI control to trigger the envelope.

Being an apeSoft app, you can assign LFOs to all parameters, so, e.g. your delay time could be constantly changing...

@reasOne @stormbeats

• @jipumarino said:

@reasOne said:

Thanks for sharing this! I didn’t know SM could do this too 🙀

• @aplourde said:

@jipumarino said:

Yes, iVCS gives you the ENV AU extension that is an AHR envelope coupled with VCA (it's really not that weird!).

AHR being Attack, Hold, Release. The On knob controls the hold, aka, the full On portion of the cycle. The Off knob controls the full off period. To use it as an envelope just set the "Off" knob all the way to 10/Manual, otherwise it works like a cycling LFO+VCA.

You can trigger the envelope manually with the Attack button, or there's a "Music Effect" version that allows you to directly assign MIDI control to trigger the envelope.

Being an apeSoft app, you can assign LFOs to all parameters, so, e.g. your delay time could be constantly changing...

@reasOne @stormbeats

Thanks for explaining this! I’m learning soo much 👍🎛🚀

• nice ! there are options so that’s dope!
    looks like i have a couple new apps on my list

FAC envolver ... which looks like it does some badass stuff over all, i haven’t picked it up as i’ve been slacking on finishing songs but after watching promos of it... must have! thanks @wim and @dendy

i do have synthmaster one @jipumarino , as everyonehere should ahaha, so i’m going to test drive that today as an option to see if it works the way i’m imagining it!

and now even more reasons to buy ivcs3 @aplourde , i’ve been holding off on it for way to long but always lust to own it lolol you guys are bad for wallet 🤣🤣🤣 but great for helping my music. that sounds great and powerful feature!

• edited February 2020

@reasOne great! It’s really straightforward and from what I can tell, if you only use the env and VCA, it’s also very light on CPU

• I just tried using Synthmaster One to do this and it works well, only the ADSR only works for single notes or notes played simultaneously, ie playing a broken chord applies the envelope to the first note but not the rest.
    Anyone know how to change this?
    Or do I need to use another method?

• I always wanted an adsr for stringed interments. Like a swell in and out optional, and hold aka release for sustain like a piano pedal. You were wanting it for slow attack and compressed? If so there are ways that kinda gets you some release/sustain. Indeed I was thinking maple syrup app?

• is this about adding envepe as FX on trac where is already some multitimbral instrument playing ??

Then Drambo is answer ...

In NS i add just "MFX" vriant of Drambo as insert and i add "Processor > Envelope" - done.

+/- same way it should be possible in all daws ... in AUM you will newd manually route MIDI from instrument into Drambo in MIDI matrix ...

• edited June 2020

and also miRack as an effect :)

• edited June 2020

@Carnbot said:

That was first thing which came to my mind, but problem is miRack is not polyphonic .. yes you can make 4 voice polyphony by using MIDI-4 moule and 4 envelopes (or 8 envelopes for stereo signal) - but that is a bit overcomplicated solutin compared to single Drambo's envelope .. Drambo is really better for such simple processing cases, especialy for stereo / polyphonic processing ...

Edit: Of course, for polyphone you need increase default's drambo voics from "1" to higher number, for example 8.. i my screenshot it is still on 1

edit: hm, this is not good soution.. polyphonic triggering of envelope as audio FX will not apply envelopes on indiviual notes, they are reaching FX aready mixed together as single audio stream... this is really not solvable this way .. you need apply envelope in instrument if you want envelope applied individually on each note..

• @dendy said:

@Carnbot said:

That was first thing which came to my mind, but problem is miRack is not polyphonic .. yes you can make 4 voice polyphony by using MIDI-4 moule and 4 envelopes (or 8 envelopes for stereo signal) - but that is a bit overcomplicated solutin compared to single Drambo's envelope .. Drambo is really better for such simple processing cases, especialy for stereo / polyphonic processing ...

ok, good to note... do you know if polyphony is planned in miRack?

• For my use I just want to make any instrument have an ADSR envelope in the same way pretty much all synths do.

• Gatekeeper for iOS would be pretty neat...
    https://polyversemusic.com/products/gatekeeper/

• edited June 2020

Definitely Drambo, iVCS3 ENV, and MiRack.

These are no frills, dedicated audio envelopes triggered by midi the same moment your audio source is triggered.

I made a list in another thread of all known synths which are also AUv3 music effects - that is, synths which can sit in the effect slot and use their internal modulation sources to process external audio.

Synthmaster, Mela, and Model-15 can also be used as dedicated ADSR, but you get waaay more unnecessary baggage with those, as you must disable or open the filter, play with osc routing, etc.

With Drambo, all you need is literally a single module (amp envelope).
    With miRack it is 4 modules (midi trigger, audio in, envelope, audio out).
    With iVCS3 ENV - that’s all the app is at all.

All of these are very flexible audio envelopes. They are exponentially smoother and snappier than CC envelopes, and easier to use than ones found in music effect synths.

I did make a tutorial about the subject a couple months ago. I used Drambo as a filter, and iVCS3 env as the envelope. Since the tutorial, I’ve been using Drambo more frequently in this role though, as I find the envelopes easier to control, and snappier.

• So I can place the Drambo amp envelope AU in the fx slot in AUM, etc and it will allow me to apply ADSR to anything preceding it?
    And not just the first note of a broken chord but all the notes individually?

• Correct. But remember to route midi to that instance of Drambo to ensure that the envelope gets triggered.

The envelope will affect everything going into it. If you set the envelope to a long attack and full sustain, and then you play a chord into it, the entire chord will slowly fade in with the attack. Any subsequent notes you play will be heard during the sustain portion of the envelope and will not have an attack. In this sense it’s paraphonic.

You would need 1 envelope per voice, like a polysynth in order for envelopes to have the expected behavior on your audio. See my video above on how to do this.

However, if you are triggering a monophonic signal (a voice, violin, trumpet; single vco, etc) then the technique works perfectly.

Really it comes down to understanding the differences between paraphonic and polyphonic, or what you want to achieve.

@TimRussell said:
    So I can place the Drambo amp envelope AU in the fx slot in AUM, etc and it will allow me to apply ADSR to anything preceding it?

• @aleyas
    These are no frills, dedicated audio envelopes triggered by midi the same moment your audio source is triggered.

Nope. It works perfectly for monophonic material but not that good for polyphonic, because audio is already mixed togethere so it's not possible to apply envelope to each individua voice.

• if you trigger ENV by audio (transient detection - FAC Envelope), you easily get incorret enveope retriggers (inconsistent with notes which resulted to that audio
    • if you trigger ENV by notes, it is even worse - every note triggers anvelope which is applie on result audio, so it affects also other notes currently playing

This is no-go .. if you want to proper envelopes applied to polyphonic signa, you need apply then in generator/instrument, as part of it's engine - there is no way how you can apply envelope to every individual tone insie single audio stream (eg. when applie as audio FX)

• edited June 2020

@TimRussell said:
    So I can place the Drambo amp envelope AU in the fx slot in AUM, etc and it will allow me to apply ADSR to anything preceding it?

Yes but just in case that source is monophonic signal (some arpeggio, lead synth, etc).. as soon as your source is polyphonic - some chords for exampe - it will not work, or it will result to strange output .. which can be creatively intentional, that's other point of view, but definitely it will be something different than envelopes applied to each voice (==note) independently within synth/sampler ....

• Ah so it’s probably not what I’m after. Which is good as I will save £20 on an app I otherwise wouldn’t use. Sorry to all the Drambo-lovers!

I’m really surprised this doesn’t already exist. I have FAC Envolver but can’t understand the damn thing and from reading previous posts it doesn’t look like it would do the trick anyway.