Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jamm Pro by Ninja Tune / Coldcut

Comments

• @sigma79 said:
    Anyway.

DSP in aum is now 17- 39 spikes. 256 buffer

Was about 70 on 512

It was123 dsp originally.

Ipad 2018 might be ok on 256 but make sure.

It might be the case that you need the same buffer size in both apps...I had some problems loading it in AUM that were solved by rebooting. I suspect memory is an issue on an iPad like my iPad 2018.

• @espiegel123 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Anyway.

DSP in aum is now 17- 39 spikes. 256 buffer

Was about 70 on 512

It was123 dsp originally.

Ipad 2018 might be ok on 256 but make sure.

It might be the case that you need the same buffer size in both apps...I had some problems loading it in AUM that were solved by rebooting. I suspect memory is an issue on an iPad like my iPad 2018.

Was sorting that as it goes. 256. Then set AUM to 256 before loading Jammpro.

Just updated to ios 13. Will let you know if its better.

Thanks.

• You find a solution?

@sigma79 said:
    Funk yay.

• I think I’m going to have to wait to get a new iPad before I can enjoy it, I took a chance with it on my air 1 but my cpu is at a steady 90-99%. Oh well, I’ve been trying to make more excuses to get a new iPad. From what I’ve been able to do with it so far it’s going to be up there with takete for me

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    You find a solution?

@sigma79 said:
    Funk yay.

Just installed ios 13. Mainly for freezes to see if I should go to an apple store. Seems ok but there might still be freezes. 256 seems ok for an air 3 and probably an ipad 2018.

• App should be good. Cant say for sure on how it works ( so I shouldnt post until I know )

The channel mute seems to pause the loop instead of mute. Think at the mo you have to leave an empty slot in the grid to allow the sample muted to follow a timeline relative to other samples.

Importantly it needs volume control on the main page otherwise samples just blast in. I think instead of a glitch effect ( low cut/drill ) they could be swapped for volume control of the sample. Press sample starts at a low volume then you can raise volume. It would also assist with initial sample management.

• Well. Dont know if it will assist with sample managment as its a loop but I think the glitch effect on the actual sample pad that brings in music loops should be a volume.

• I mentioned in my email to them about possibly varying the effect on the clips, it’s definitely set up with Matt et al in mind I think. Really not sure I’ll stick with it, think it’s fun but feel like it’s either beyond my device or just not ready for public consumption. Really great stuff in there and ambitious though... might finally try modstep instead, could be more up my street too... unless there’s another clip launching funbox I should look at?

• @Svetlovska said:
    Spent a day faffing about with this, now got recording Ableton Live style Beat matched clips in the FX slot in an AUM channel sussed. For a sample based noodler like me, this is a game changer. Take the basic Launchpad style operation, but this also allows sampling in place right inside your AUM mix, complete with all the cool tools you can run there, for perfect beat matched loop clips which you can then live record a ‘performance’ of with a mind boggling amount of in app tools, then export the whole pack to AudioShare or a zip file... This does put my question elsewhere on the forum about Ableton into a new light. The extensive MIDI learn and Ableton like workflow could make this a great pairing with the new Launchpad Pro, as someone else has observed. This is so much more than just another EDM machine.

I’d love to see a vid of how you use it live recording and mangling loops!

• edited February 2020

@MonkeyDrummer : Trust me, you wouldn’t... :) I do it, like I do all my stuff, by more or less randomly stabbing at things (sometimes for hours on end) until they sound about right, then hitting record quick. I really don’t know what I’m doing. Wouldn’t make for gripping viewing. My, um ‘music’ all shares one thing in common with jazz - it’s something I never play the same way twice. (Because, in my case, I can’t.) :) I’d say my bull crap to brilliance ration is about 98:2. (I use the word ‘brilliance’ loosely, obvs). Only the 2% gets posted. Same way I take my photos...

That first track I posted at the head of this thread of me noodling around with Jamm Pro was the fruits of my first ten minutes standalone random key stabbing following purchase. Took me the rest of the day to work out that I could put a Jamm Pro instance in the effect slot of an AUM channel (have to start it before AUM first), then on the clips page, arm it, then put something through the armed AUM channel to capture the clip. That bit works fine. Now I’m trying to work out why I can’t record the AUM channel itself while I’m doing that. And as for actually understanding that Coldcutter page... Well, I’ll get back to you on that.

• This is a fun app and is pretty much exactly what I’ve been praying for to launch stems live ,but having it on my iPad was making AUM go crazy (stuck notes in geoshred au etc etc) .

Delete and restart seemed to fix that, funky behavior all around. Also coldcutter page is hella confusing.

I’m looking forward to updates of this app, cuz the workflow is fun af

• I’m well conflicted with this, love the workflow and the Coldcutter is the best glitchslicemachine I’ve ever used but every time I go into it I find a new frustration, for example this morning was recording guitar loops in via mic input while it played a drum loop, thought something weird was happening, then noticed that there was crosstalk from the drum loop on the guitar recording 🙄
    Immediately tried the same setup in AUM and perfect clean recording into enso...

One question, has anyone found a way to delete user projects? I must have a dozen empty ones as they seem to appear spuriously every time I open and close something... They have no proper name, just called 'Me' and a date/time stamp...

I keep going back to try it though, there's something great lurking in the madness 🙂

• @Krupa said:
    I’m well conflicted with this, love the workflow and the Coldcutter is the best glitchslicemachine I’ve ever used but every time I go into it I find a new frustration, for example this morning was recording guitar loops in via mic input while it played a drum loop, thought something weird was happening, then noticed that there was crosstalk from the drum loop on the guitar recording 🙄
    Immediately tried the same setup in AUM and perfect clean recording into enso...

One question, has anyone found a way to delete user projects? I must have a dozen empty ones as they seem to appear spuriously every time I open and close something... They have no proper name, just called 'Me' and a date/time stamp...

I keep going back to try it though, there's something great lurking in the madness 🙂

To delete a project, just long hold on its icon.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    This is a fun app and is pretty much exactly what I’ve been praying for to launch stems live ,but having it on my iPad was making AUM go crazy (stuck notes in geoshred au etc etc) .

Delete and restart seemed to fix that, funky behavior all around. Also coldcutter page is hella confusing.

Have you watched the tutorial videos? After watching them, the ccut page didn't seem confusing to me.

• ah nice one, doh 🙄

Thanks @InfoCheck

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    This is a fun app and is pretty much exactly what I’ve been praying for to launch stems live ,but having it on my iPad was making AUM go crazy (stuck notes in geoshred au etc etc) .

Have you watched the tutorial videos? After watching them, the ccut page didn't seem confusing to me.

where is this video? i’d love to see it

• @eross said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

You'll find links to them in the Audiobus Forum wiki article for Jamm Pro

• @Krupa said:
    I’m well conflicted with this, love the workflow and the Coldcutter is the best glitchslicemachine I’ve ever used but every time I go into it I find a new frustration, for example this morning was recording guitar loops in via mic input while it played a drum loop, thought something weird was happening, then noticed that there was crosstalk from the drum loop on the guitar recording 🙄

this app has a few glitchy minor fixes that could be helpful. more editing or start stop point on samples, maybe a feature to edit the tail or a sample so it can loop back without clicking ocassionally. once they get this dialed in a little more it’s gonna be excellent for ipad performances.

• @espiegel123 said:

@eross said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gaia.Tree said:

You'll find links to them in the Audiobus Forum wiki article for Jamm Pro

thanks

• Hi all, the Jamm Pro 1.0.2 update was released yesterday, here is what's new.

• Add Auto monitoring option for capturing sampling into clips.
    • Fix launching Jamm Pro as an Inter-App Audio effect on iOS 13. (iOS 12 users please launch Jamm Pro first before loading it into an IAA host, for now.)
    • Sampling into a stab or clip slot by triggering it via MIDI now works correctly.
    • Lower default input gain setting for sampling.
    • Add button to return to IAA host when connected as an IAA node.

More bug fixes and updates are in the works and will be released in the coming weeks!

• Thanks for updates.

• Thanks for the heads up / hopefully future updates will work better on Air 2

@HoldernessMedia said:
    Hi all, the Jamm Pro 1.0.2 update was released yesterday, here is what's new.

• Fix launching Jamm Pro as an Inter-App Audio effect on iOS 13. (iOS 12 users please launch Jamm Pro first before loading it into an IAA host, for now.)
    • Sampling into a stab or clip slot by triggering it via MIDI now works correctly.

More bug fixes and updates are in the works and will be released in the coming weeks!

• @HoldernessMedia said:
    Hi all, the Jamm Pro 1.0.2 update was released yesterday, here is what's new.

Love your other apps!!!

• @HoldernessMedia : great app. Please add drag/drop support from Files to the clip-setting pads. So that we can drag from Files app directly on to a pad to set its clip.

• @HoldernessMedia are you one of the devs? I shot an email to customer support but got nothing back, gonna paste here in case you can answer it

Great app, I’m just wondering if there’s any way to route live input through the fx/cutter. It would be great to be able to run external gear through it, I can see there is a live input stream already for sampling, just can’t figure out how to route it

Thankyou

• @HoldernessMedia will the be a sample end point feature and possibly a an adsr or ar envelope for samples? that would help with those tricky samples that have clicky loop points?

• edited February 2020

@eross i think they mention sample trimming in the faq and while they're a little withering in terms of preferring users to prep their samples better, I think it's planned... I'd quite like this too, but there's probably plenty to sort out already...

• edited February 2020

Edit: hmmmm...

• HoldernessMedia?
    didnt they develop some fx app and abandoned them later?