Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jamm Pro by Ninja Tune / Coldcut

Comments

• @JoHe said:
    I'd need ableton style clip launching of studio stems. I used ableton before but want to ditch the laptop.
    Using an octatrack for some time now but I wish I could use just an Ipad + controller.

Anywany, interested what's possible with this app.
    If somebody has other recommendations, please tell me :)

You can do practically everything with existing apps but that means you'll have to create your own DAW or apeMatrix or AUM environment and set up hardware controller (Launchpad Mini?) assignments for yourself.

• Once you do get your stuff in here (I’m preferring recording directly to clips from Ableton with Link so far) it’s a lot of fun and deep. Good to see something like this turn up dedicated to iPad. :)

• @rs2000 said:

@JoHe said:
    I'd need ableton style clip launching of studio stems. I used ableton before but want to ditch the laptop.
    Using an octatrack for some time now but I wish I could use just an Ipad + controller.

You can do practically everything with existing apps but that means you'll have to create your own DAW or apeMatrix or AUM environment and set up hardware controller (Launchpad Mini?) assignments for yourself.

Yeah, I was thinking that. And that would probably stress test any of the existing pro line devices. Mind you, Turnado seems incredibly fine tuned performance wise. Generally effects are the biggest cpu hogs.

• edited February 2020

@supadom said:

@rs2000 said:

@JoHe said:

Yeah, I was thinking that. And that would probably stress test any of the existing pro line devices. Mind you, Turnado seems incredibly fine tuned performance wise. Generally effects are the biggest cpu hogs.

Turnado is great, yes, as is Effectrix - you can map 12 different patterns to Launchpad buttons and switch them live.
    What I love in effectrix is that you can randomize if you want but also fine-tune a randomized pattern.

• @cuezaireekaa : yes you can change the FX, the little icon top right of the left and right big X/Y pads can be tapped, opening tweak able performance fx

• Awesome. Was looking for something to take to a jam Wednesday after working with instrumentalists recording in my attic, was wondering how I was gonna transport my somewhat ageing laptop and create a setup that was fun to jam with. Then this little beauty appears from nowhere. Was a little sketchy about it as the Coldcut Max device I bought for Ableton whilst interesting seems a little unreliable (might just be way I’m using it or in need of an update). But thought it’s Friday, I love the Ninja tunes boys material and I‘ve got a serious issue with impulse control. Playing about with the sets was fun and I could see the potential for exporting sets from Ableton into this thing for jamming with but the real joy came when I started recording random background stuff into loop slots on bus journey home. Instant syncable noisefest joy. That’s things decided TR8, my audio interface and the iPad with this and I’m good to go, might not even squeeze in all the prep I imagined doing converting old sets into stems, might just take a mic and record random sounds into loops of various lengths as we go. Not sure what the saxophonist and guitar player will make of it, I’m sure there was talk when we started out of making mellow jazz house grooves, looks like they’re getting Throbbing Gristle...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:
    @MonzoPro your app awaits.

Ps. Where are u?

He's in Wales counting the sheep (and there are many).

Counting?

• @Svetlovska said:
    @cuezaireekaa : yes you can change the FX, the little icon top right of the left and right big X/Y pads can be tapped, opening tweak able performance fx

Sorry, I can’t find this. Do you mean this screen ?

• I just realised that in the coldcutter module you can program 16 different sets of 6 modulations per track plus scene states for all parameters above the 4 x 4 CC grid . Plus the slice , gate , PRD (all per track) and C & R ( 2 x track groups). I didn’t understand the interaction between all of them at first.

The amount of morphing performance control available in that one page is staggering....

• If i’m not mistaken, this is using pure data under it all. That’s probably why it’s eating cpu. I know the regular ninja jamm was using pd for sure.

• I think its excellent but..
    I can get it to sample in whilst hosting it as an effect in BM3 or AUM.
    Jamm Pro is just hanging/crashing, it’s fine in standalone, IPad Air 3rd Gen. I bet it’s the 48k issue.

• I’ve been happy sampling out of it all day set to 44.1k but looks like Jamm might be locking it to that as I can’t set 48k...

• @Krupa said:
    I’ve been happy sampling out of it all day set to 44.1k but looks like Jamm might be locking it to that as I can’t set 48k...

Just sampling out?
    I can sample in running it standalone from mic, but dropping it in effect slot on AUM and Bm3 isn’t working, I’ve tried my Air 3rd gen which is 48 kHz, and just tried my iPad 2018.. which is 44,1khz.

It’s not loading up in either instance, just hanging.

I’m sure someone earlier in the comments said they had this working.

• Sorry, I meant into it from aum, I just put it in as an effect on a lane with stuff bussed into it, guitar, synths, drum machines..

• iPad pro v1

• @Krupa said:
    Sorry, I meant into it from aum, I just put it in as an effect on a lane with stuff bussed into it, guitar, synths, drum machines..

Thanks. I was wondering if it wasn’t working yet, I’ve emailed them to report the problem.
    I’ve just checked, 4pockets multitrack is loading into Aums fx slot.. so I’m confident it’s not me.

• @A_Fox said:

@Krupa said:
    I’ve been happy sampling out of it all day set to 44.1k but looks like Jamm might be locking it to that as I can’t set 48k...

Just sampling out?
    I can sample in running it standalone from mic, but dropping it in effect slot on AUM and Bm3 isn’t working, I’ve tried my Air 3rd gen which is 48 kHz, and just tried my iPad 2018.. which is 44,1khz.

It’s not loading up in either instance, just hanging.

I’m sure someone earlier in the comments said they had this working.

Working for me on a Mini 5. You need to boot Jamm stand-alone before starting AUM and loading it into the effect node. Did you try that ?

• @zeropoint said:

Working for me on a Mini 5. You need to boot Jamm stand-alone before starting AUM and loading it into the effect node. Did you try that ?

Just tried, it works, thanks muchly!
    With a spot of luck that method may work in BM3 too.

Gotta say I’m happy!

• @AudioGus said:
    I am loving this, but recording all this sweet smooshy choppy stuff just makes me jones even harder for the Cubasis 3 maintenance updates so I can actually mix these things on iOS

Bing bing.

• edited February 2020

Would someone be able to share a screenshot of what the midi learn feature looks like?

Interested in how much of the layout on screen is midi-learnable.

Cheers.

• edited February 2020

Don’t think you’ll be disappointed....

• @zeropoint Wow. Thanks for these.

That's impressive! :)

• No worries. There is so much control, the mind almost boggles...

• Spent a day faffing about with this, now got recording Ableton Live style Beat matched clips in the FX slot in an AUM channel sussed. For a sample based noodler like me, this is a game changer. Take the basic Launchpad style operation, but this also allows sampling in place right inside your AUM mix, complete with all the cool tools you can run there, for perfect beat matched loop clips which you can then live record a ‘performance’ of with a mind boggling amount of in app tools, then export the whole pack to AudioShare or a zip file... This does put my question elsewhere on the forum about Ableton into a new light. The extensive MIDI learn and Ableton like workflow could make this a great pairing with the new Launchpad Pro, as someone else has observed. This is so much more than just another EDM machine.

• Friend coming round with a Launchpad Pro Mk 3 over the weekend. Fun will be had......

• How long can stems be?

Using multiple sources for beats. Once combined and with the possibilty of in app remix.

Can it then combine stems in a song mode?

• Kept seeing this thread and finally took a look, wow. This fits my workflow perfectly. Bye, money

• Do you mean output stems ? Or the max length of files you can load into clips ?

There’s no limit to the length of stems you can record out as far as I can see. As one would expect.

There’s nothing in the manual about max clip file size . I’ve managed to load stems in that play for 50 bars before the audio cuts out. Max live sample length is 8 bars and the loaded clip lengths in the preset packs I’ve explored are no longer than 16 bars.

So although it looks like it will play back longish files, it’ goes without saying it’s not designed to be a long stem player.

Each project has 64 scenes, each of which contains banks of 8 clips on 4 tracks. Apart from live triggering, you can program those clips to play in a multitude of ways by assigning a modulation pattern to the track and then setting step and evolution conditions for that mod pattern. And you have 6 of those mod patterns per clip track which can be set to mod all sorts of parameters. And of course step and evolution conditions can be set for each of those patterns. Plus static or evolving gate and slice states per track . Same goes for the Pitch Drill and Reverse & Calk and Response modules. And that before we’ve even got to the FX.....

There is a song mode if you want to work with it that way. You can toggle the 64 scenes to play back consecutively with the scene change happening after the longest clip in the bank has finished playing.

You could very well just use the app generatively and record the results as separate stems for each track. But where it shines for me is a mix of programmed, generative and live interactive. You really can take those 32 clips in endless different directions. Stem that stuff out then load it into Auria Pro or Cubasis for further edits and mix .....that will be my workflow with it at least .

• Can this at all be used for the on the fly live operation?

As in...

You open this thing within a host with audio sources routed into it and have a jam without the need to stop the transport and adjust loops etc?