Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Cubasis 2.6 Clock out with External Synths and a few iOS apps

I’m pretty new to using Cubasis and while I’ve done a decent amount of midi in other DAW’s (Reaper and Sonar/Cakewalk long ago) I’ve never really written anything where I needed to have some devices sync’ed to the clock of the DAW. Looks like Cubasis supports it pretty decently, but after some initial success with a hardware device I am now at a standstill trying to use an app on the same iPad at the same time.

App in question is Lumbeat’s Rock Drum Machine (full version). It has options to sync to Cubasis but I can’t seem to find the right combination of things so that the following will happen.

I hit record in Cubasis and the Rock Drum Machine song or pattern starts and is tempo synced. So far nothing I’ve tries allows the transport controls in Cubasis to drive the start/stop of RDM, nor syncing the tempo of RDM to Cubasis.

Ideally I’d like to be able to do that. Any help appreciated. Seems like I’ve tried all of the combinations and no real docs seem to exist at Lumbeat website.

Comments

  • @jasonpeter said:
    I’m pretty new to using Cubasis and while I’ve done a decent amount of midi in other DAW’s (Reaper and Sonar/Cakewalk long ago) I’ve never really written anything where I needed to have some devices sync’ed to the clock of the DAW. Looks like Cubasis supports it pretty decently, but after some initial success with a hardware device I am now at a standstill trying to use an app on the same iPad at the same time.

    App in question is Lumbeat’s Rock Drum Machine (full version). It has options to sync to Cubasis but I can’t seem to find the right combination of things so that the following will happen.

    I hit record in Cubasis and the Rock Drum Machine song or pattern starts and is tempo synced. So far nothing I’ve tries allows the transport controls in Cubasis to drive the start/stop of RDM, nor syncing the tempo of RDM to Cubasis.

    Ideally I’d like to be able to do that. Any help appreciated. Seems like I’ve tried all of the combinations and no real docs seem to exist at Lumbeat website.

    In RDM in the upper right hit the button that says Link .. then make sure the switch that’s says Sync Start/Stop is turned on (move it to the right) That should do the trick, I use RDM all the time in Cubasis. If you have problems actually recording the audio of RDM let me know and I’ll tell you how to do that too .. took me a while to figure that one out. Former Reaper user here too .. whole different world this iPad ehh .. the challenge I find quite enjoying.

  • wimwim
    edited February 11

    This should work:

    1. Start Rock DM
    2. Disable Link and any midi input and output in Rock DM
    3. Start Cubasis
    4. Add an audio track
    5. Tap routing, then change input from Mono to Inter-App
    6. Select Rock DM from the list. Let it load, then return to Cubasis by tappit its icon at the top-left of Rock DM.
    7. Rock DM will now start and stop with Cubasis transport.

    Tested and working here, though I had some issues if I didn’t start Rock DM before adding to Cubasis. Also note you may run into timing instability if you’re looping in Cubasis.

    I also found I had to remove and re-add it when I switched out of Cubasis to write this post and even just randomly sometimes. To do this set the track input to None, then back to Rock DM. You shouldn’t need to restart Rock DM.

  • @wim said:
    This should work:

    1. Start Rock DM
    2. Disable Link and any midi input and output in Rock DM
    3. Start Cubasis
    4. Add an audio track
    5. Tap routing, then change input from Mono to Inter-App
    6. Select Rock DM from the list. Let it load, then return to Cubasis by tappit its icon at the top-left of Rock DM.
    7. Rock DM will now start and stop with Cubasis transport.

    Tested and working here, though I had some issues if I didn’t start Rock DM before adding to Cubasis. Also note you may run into timing instability if you’re looping in Cubasis.

    I also found I had to remove and re-add it when I switched out of Cubasis to write this post and even just randomly sometimes. To do this set the track input to None, then back to Rock DM. You shouldn’t need to restart Rock DM.

    This is the correct way to use RDM with Cubasis, and any of the Lumbeat drum apps.

  • Thanks everyone for the tips - I will try this evening and look forward to using it!

  • @jasonpeter said:
    Thanks everyone for the tips - I will try this evening and look forward to using it!

    Good luck and let us know how you get on... I was using Cubasis 2 a lot a few years back and I regularly ran into awful timing/sync/looping problems which messed up my workflow. People have been saying Cubasis 3 isn't much better either.

    Syncing apps internally on iPads has always been pretty really flaky - which is crap cos MIDI has been industry standard for well over 30 years!

    Ableton Link can help in some scenarios but that's more for jamming than solving DAW sync issues (and I think it is still isn't in any version of Cubasis?)

  • edited February 11

    WIM / AndyPlankton - your instructions work perfectly - thanks!

Sign In or Register to comment.