Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Hammond B-3-off! Hammond B-3X vs. Galileo 2 - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

Comments

• @BCKeys said:
    (Not) completely off-topic : regarding the price of this app, do you think it would be possible to try to negociate IK a special discount for a group purchase ? this is very common a lot on some passionate people forums.

Btw, it would be an idea for others like Cubasis or FabFilters and more expensive apps.

The App Store has no mechanism to enable something like that to happen.

• edited February 2020

@wim said:

@BCKeys said:
    (Not) completely off-topic : regarding the price of this app, do you think it would be possible to try to negociate IK a special discount for a group purchase ? this is very common a lot on some passionate people forums.

Btw, it would be an idea for others like Cubasis or FabFilters and more expensive apps.

The App Store has no mechanism to enable something like that t

Their is the redeem codes. Those in the group that pay could get a code to redeem their app.

The person in charge of the group buy would receive code from IK and distribute them.

• @ecou said:

@wim said:

@BCKeys said:

Their is the redeem codes. Those in the group that pay could get a code to redeem their app.

The person in charge of the group buy would receive code from IK and distribute them.

I believe redeem codes are limited in number and I’m virtually positive that would run afoul of Apple’s Store policies. Apple is categorically against any transactions to purchase apps outside of the Store. This would fall into that category being that the developer is selling the codes, even though indirectly.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:
    I really don't know the Apple's rules but I think they arent limited in the number of sales by year (look Audiokit D1, they do sales for this everytime) nor the discount percentage. As soon as the operation is happening on the Store, I dont see any reason for Apple to be against this.

@Daveypoo Im sincerely sorry for this off-topic 🙈 Im going to create a dedicated topic right now !!

I don't see your new thread, so I'll briefly clarify here. I never said developers can't have as many sales as they want. Yes, they can. But that is nothing like a group buy. A sale can't be limited to certain groups of people, and can't be administered with codes. If you do start a thread I doubt I'll have anything further to contribute. Maybe others will though.

• McDMcD
    edited February 2020

I'm going to put a quarter everyday in a jar for 400 days and then buy an iTunes gift card and get this app. It will be painless... wait that's just over a year. Going to the nearest store for the change will be a problem... assuming a have a dollar handy.

Plan 2: what's the smallest iTunes card denomination?

This would be a real problem for developers if we all started spending rationally.

Carry on.

NOTE: If you don't have real B3 organ chops or want to build them this is NOT a good use of your money.
    The more interesting sounds are created using cheaper alternatives. But when did rational behavior ever makes sense here? Drambo coming... Brambos has a new app... where's my coin jar?

• @McD said:
    NOTE: If you don't have real B3 organ chops or want to build them this is NOT a good use of your money.
    The more interesting sounds are created using cheaper alternatives.

"Interesting" is subjective, and in the video I wasn't really addressing feature sets, simply comparing the base tones. There isn't much that Galileo can do that B-3X can't (there are a few things - compact organs like Farfisas, some wackier effects) but honestly it's not much. I wonder, however, if very many folks out there are spending money on a Hammond organ emulation app just to try to make it sound like something else...

I feel like it's fairly clear once one hears the comparison which side of the fence one falls on. I only hope the video took some of the financial risk out of the decision making process.

• @Daveypoo said:.
    "Interesting" is subjective, > compact organs like Farfisas.

I’ll pay you $100 to keep a Farfisa off my iPad. Ugly toy garbage.

• @McD said:

@Daveypoo said:.

Bah, humbug Mr. Scrooge.

• @Daveypoo said:

@McD said:

@Daveypoo said:.

Bah, humbug Mr. Scrooge.

Do you recall "Question Mark and the Mysterians" and a little gem called "96 Tears".
    No? Google it. Imagine a world where that became a hit. The 60's were a dark time to
    come of age. Now, Paul the Revere and the Raiders or the Monkees.... not really that bad.
    Didn't the guy with the Doors play a Farfisa and a Bass keyboard? Morrison had the soul of a poet...
    they tell me. I did like the Kurt Weill covers ("Show me the way to the next whiskey bar").

• edited February 2020

@McD said:
    Do you recall "Question Mark and the Mysterians" and a little gem called "96 Tears".
    No? Google it. Imagine a world where that became a hit. The 60's were a dark time to
    come of age. Now, Paul the Revere and the Raiders or the Monkees.... not really that bad.
    Didn't the guy with the Doors play a Farfisa and a Bass keyboard? Morrison had the soul of a poet...
    they tell me. I did like the Kurt Weill covers ("Show me the way to the next whiskey bar").

Pffft - have I ever heard of ? & The Mysterians...? I'm almost insulted. Their song "Girl, You Captivate Me" is second only to "96 Tears". Both excellent tunes.

The Raiders were meh. The Zombies - not bad. The Doors - now, Manzarek used a Gibson combo organ, so while not a Farfisa exactly, still the most well known of combo organs. And the Fender Rhodes Bass instead of a bass player (well, for the first record, anyway) was genius (damn bass players).

I dig the coked-out first album by The Dead as an example of fine Farfisa ridiculousness. The B-52's also put one to excellent use with "Rock Lobster". See all the glory the world would be missing without the wonders of the combo organ?

Bah humbug INDEED, sir. Bah humbug indeed.

• @Daveypoo said:

@McD said:

Pffft - have I ever heard of ? & The Mysterians...? I'm almost insulted. Their song "Girl, You Captivate Me" is second only to "96 Tears". Both excellent tunes.

The Raiders were meh. The Zombies - not bad. The Doors - now, Manzarek used a Gibson combo organ, so while not a Farfisa exactly, still the most well known of combo organs. And the Fender Rhodes Bass instead of a bass player (well, for the first record, anyway) was genius (damn bass players).

I dig the coked-out first album by The Dead as an example of fine Farfisa ridiculousness. The B-52's also put one to excellent use with "Rock Lobster". See all the glory the world would be missing without the wonders of the combo organ?

Bah humbug INDEED, sir. Bah humbug indeed.

OK. I can see that you're into kitsch (at least when you bring the B52's into it). Most of these opinions about pop carry a ton of baggage so if enough people value it then I have to re-evaluate and seek something it in. It took me a while to really get Talking Heads for example. I remember when my brother exposed me to Miles when I was 13 and I thought he had a terrible embouchure and couldn't hit the pitch. Both are true but I later realized his tone was what made him great and not defective.

I just ask you listen to "Kicks" again.

The best thing about 96 Tears is you could teach a 10 year old to play it in an afternoon. Where they go from there is up to them.

• @Daveypoo said:

Great song, although I'm one of the Farfisa haters too :D
    They've put that toy organ to good use.
    See, it's not only the sound, it's what you make of it 😉

• Right @rs2000 ? It's simply a tool. It may be the Ugly Duckling of musical tools, to be sure, but it does have it's place.

And @McD - the first thing I play any time I have a combo organ sound is "96 Tears". The thing for me with Farfisa/Gibson organ use is that it needs to serve the tune. "96 Tears" is INCREDIBLY catchy, as is "Rock Lobster".

But I'm just busting your chops, good D of the Mc's. And yeah - there's things I like now that I despised as a younger person. Some things just take time to adjust your listening palate to.

• @wim said:

@ecou said:

@wim said:

@BCKeys said:

I believe redeem codes are limited in number and I’m virtually positive that would run afoul of Apple’s Store policies. Apple is categorically against any transactions to purchase apps outside of the Store. This would fall into that category being that the developer is selling the codes, even though indirectly.

This is true. Developers get a certain amount of promo codes per update and cannot use them as part of a transaction like is proposed here. There's no mechanism for a group buy on the App Store. C'mon, do folks think if there was a possibility for app/IAP group buys we wouldn't do them at least annually??? :wink:

• @Daveypoo said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Damn, Dave. That was fun. You had me sticking with Galileo till the end where you couldn’t control yourself and gushed over the B3x. $100 is a lot, but it is very authentic (I wish RC275 could come that close to an acoustic piano) a one time and no inapps.... Syntronik complete, at retail, is almost that. iSymphonic double that for dozens of mediocre sounds (with some very good ones mixed in). So it depends how you look at it. The base sounds you demo in the beginning do sound similar, but the Leslie makes a sharp contrast. Hands down on the B3x. So will I buy it? Still undecided.

Thanks for the vid. Very well done and fun!

Your welcome! The goal here was not to push anyone over the fence, necessarily, as not everyone is in the market for a $100 Hammond organ app. However, for those considering the jump, I think it's fair to say there's no contest in the Leslie category. I'd love to see IK Multimedia release the Leslie simulator as a separate app - I've always felt that even a half-assed organ can sound much more genuine through a good Leslie, so if that's mainly what Galileo or these others are lacking it could be easily compensated for. And a Leslie-only app could be at a lower price point to attract more of the hobbyist crowd.

I'm glad you guys are liking this one - I took more time than usual putting this one out and I wanted to get it right since I didn't see anyone else doing a straight-up comparison video of these two.

I just watched this video which explains the use of the Hammond drawbars and the development of the Hammond organ. It also states that the Leslie emulation is really high quality because it was ported from the EVB3 desktop.

• For the those that are interested and haven't seen it, my older video Secrets of the Hammond Organ talks through some basic organ tricks to help make your performances sound more convincing, as well as some of the history of the instrument:

• Great video Daveypoo! After having played the Mac version at a jam session I couldn’t agree more about just how good the B-3x sounds. At the session a C3 w 122, Skx w Vent and I brought my iPad which has Galileo 2. I felt that the B-3x with its Leslie sim was better sounding than the Skx & vent. No point comparing any to the C3 & 122 as just sitting at a C3/B3 etc with a real Leslie moving air handcuffs the others. The Mac vers of B-3x was absolutely rock solid during the 2 hour session. The Leslie sim on the B-3x is vastly superior to that in G2 and IMHO superior to the vent. I started gigging in the late ‘60s with spinets, a chopped B3 and whatever the mng could arrange at the next venue on some tours. The guys I jam with are all seasoned studio touring players. I heard the difference btn them all, tbh the boys didn’t really care as all were able to cut through. This was in a loud rock jam, when we moved to some blues I gravitated to the B3-x but as Daveypoo said, most won’t know or care. The update to the B-3x should help with those having issues on older iPads. I think for the vast majority of kybd players G2 is great, layer it up with the GarageBand organ and your off and sounding great. Once again thank-you Daveypoo for taking the time and effort to put out your video.

• You're very welcome @gdh - I appreciate your feedback as well!

• edited March 2021

Hi @Daveypoo, now that B3x is $65 (doesn’t seem like a sale price either) I’m considering it again. So watching your video again refreshed my understanding. No comparison between it and Galileo2 as far as getting a real Hammond sound (I had two in years gone by, a C2 and a B3}. The leslie on Galileo is a total fail, IMO.

There is no expression pedal input on my Kawai ES8, it being a digital piano. What keyboard would you recommend to utilize that as a second keyboard? Could I then use them in tandem for a double keyboard?

Also, how does one insert the Korg Nano Controller 2 in an iPad setup and can it trigger the Leslie?

Good seeing you, my friend. Reminds me I am not as reclusive as I think I am. Spending a half hour with your unique nuttery was refreshing, even if it was a bit one sided. Thanks for that.👍😘

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hi @Daveypoo, now that B3x is $65 (doesn’t seem like a sale price either) I’m considering it again. So watching your video again refreshed my understanding. No comparison between it and Galileo2 as far as getting a real Hammond sound (I had two in years gone by, a C2 and a B3}. The leslie on Galileo is a total fail, IMO.

The factory Leslie is weak, agreed, but you can get much better sound by daisy-chaining it with Galileo2's IAP leslie (no kidding!), some overdrive and carefully adjusting EQs.

• @rs2000... are you saying that setup is an equivalent?

• edited March 2021

@LinearLineman said:
    @rs2000... are you saying that setup is an equivalent?

Close but not an equivalent.
    Good enough to make quite a few B3 organ players happy though.

• $65 is a jump in price for the b3

If you a keyboard player, then buy in. You won't be disappointed. It's a staple in my keystage setups.

(i paid far above that, and i don't feel 1 bit of buyers remorse and said "ya know...i should have just stuck with Galileo")

Also, you can make "returns" on your app store purchases. As long as the developer allows it, apple will refund you and remove it from your purchase history. Apple is pretty sympathetic to people and refunding big dollar items.
    Again, it usually a developer call if they allow it or not. I've yet to see any of my big ticket items declined for a refund.

• Thanks for reviving an old thread. I'm still here, @LinearLineman my friend - it's really good to hear from you as well.

If you are interested in Hammond Organ at all, $65 is as good as it gets for this app. It's been a while since I dragged out all the pedals and doo-dads to get her REALLY going, but when I did and got it good and loud - it was truly inspiring to play, which to me lately has become ENTIRELY the point.

Now I've got a soft spot for Hammond organ, and have been an organ nerd for a long time so it was a no brainer for me. If you've got the scratch, for a keyboard connoisseur such as yourself @LinearLineman I think it's well worth it.

Glad to hear you're getting your vaccine - hope C & you are still fantastico 😉

• @LinearLineman said:

There is no expression pedal input on my Kawai ES8, it being a digital piano. What keyboard would you recommend to utilize that as a second keyboard? Could I then use them in tandem for a double keyboard?

Also, how does one insert the Korg Nano Controller 2 in an iPad setup and can it trigger the Leslie?

I'm out of the loop on good controllers as mine are all old, but there's a lot of 2 or 3-octave little ones that have inputs. I have 2 controllers, a 2 octave and a 3 octave, and one can use a sustain pedal only and the other can use either that or an expression pedal. If I want full control I need to set up both - it's a real PITA but it DOES work, so there's that.

With the nanoKontrol2 it's just like any other controller - it shows up in the DAW and you route it to the app. Most apps I've found allow you to map multiple controllers to a single app. 🤌

• edited March 2021

Hi everybody!
    I'm using Hammond sound very sporadically. Right now (this is live gigging oriented set-up), I'm using 6 AUs in 7 instances (+ EFXs), and in 30 combinations I have only 2 with organ sound. One sound. Do I like organs? Yes. Why one sound? The way of use that. I've never had any organ/organ like instrument, but I know some about Hammond; one of my former and the best students was very much into B-3 stuff, and was discussing on this topic with me. Finally I was more into this stuff, trying to understand those problem on the real thing, and how far the piano playing is from organ playing. And now, as the one involved in iPad-As-the-Sound-Module-Movement I have more precise point of view on the B-3 like apps. To me, If I'd be using Hammond AU as the main sound, then IKMultimedia product will be the main target. Using it as the Pro, the only target. Why? Because I see the possibility to control if direct from the screen. Of course this is my observation — I don't have it.

I have both Galileos, they nice, but this zillion presets!!! To me, they are combinations of EFXs. The sounds I can get from drawbars — just watch 2-3 tutorials on the YT. If I'll be using more organ sounds, then Galileo is enough. Important: buy Leslie from the In-App-Purachces. This build-in is crappy (IMHO).

But if you have more sounds to control, the you need hardware controller for drawbars. This minimal one:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DrawbarDB1--ocean-beach-digital-db-1-drawbar-controller
    disappeared from the market; I've seen some, looking as the hand made, but priced cosmically. There's cheapo solution: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Worlde-EasyControl-9-Portable-Mini-USB-9-Slim-Line-Control-MIDI-Controller/961992246
    I have this one, waiting to use. But this is completely different thing. Drawbar sliders are palm-width oriented. This gives a felling ('n' look). This is full control. After I learn from my student (yes I'm always the oldest student in all my classes), I know the staring point into B-3 journey: zero sound, everything off, and then start any noise. You got to have good controller for this. On this Easy Control I have 9 sliders (NANOKontrol only 8), but enormous, for organ sizes, distances between them. But, I think, for secondary use — one manual —it's Okay. But now's the next question: how many sub-controllers U can use with two keyboards? Now on my SL I have an intervace with overall volume control, Novation Launchpad Mini for patches and EFXs, and NANOKontrol for mixing and ev. mutin/soloing. On the top I have Behringer 61-keys controller, with organ type keys, 8 pots, and 8 switches. To get real control on Galileo I need to stack one more little support thing, then I'll have possibility to put 2 of them; one for organ sound, and Akai LPO8 for Model D. No place for written music! And that's the best; memorize all the stuff!

@Daveypoo did excellent job with this video (as any other), and inspired me to write my thoughts, but there's the biggest problem. It's live gigging oriented. I had big hope in the past year, but got only one big/small success — realized invitation to the one International Festival, just in the summer window (not related to the iPad Music — fully acoustic Jazz septet). At this time I invested in the better gear, and now still sadly waiting for ANY chance to share Music.

Sorry it was way too long — but what to do? (Aha, talk less)

Greetings
    Voytec G

• @VoytecG, I always appreciate your contributions. Where do you live, if I may ask?

Amazing Walmart offers such a gadget... it is powered by USB only... how do you hook it up into an iPad setup? Also, is there a way to turn the Leslie on and off with a foot pedal? Perfect use for an Enhancia ring.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Also, is there a way to turn the Leslie on and off with a foot pedal? Perfect use for an Enhancia ring.

Everything is MIDI-mappable, all you need is the footswitch. Remember - an external sustain pedal for a MIDI keyboard (i.e. the M-Audio SP-2) is just a momentary (hold down for on, release for Off) switch. No reason you can't map this to the Leslie - I've done it ;)