Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

One synth to master

Comments

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@0tolerance4silence said:
    For me it would be Zeeon and Continua. Both offers wide range of sounds with plenty of modulation.
    On paper SynthMaster could be something really hard to beat (both range and sound wise), but for me at its current state it's maximum a preset player, not a synth. Barely ever reach for it, because of its terrible UI.

Just curious, what makes it terrible in your opinion? It’s busy because there’s a lot going on but I don’t recall ever getting lost.

Fwiw, it sounds great imo. It might not have the most beautiful graphics, but the organization seems fine and I use synths for how they sound .

For me it would be Zeeon and Continua. Both offers wide range of sounds with plenty of modulation.
    On paper SynthMaster could be something really hard to beat (both range and sound wise), but for me at its current state it's maximum a preset player, not a synth. Barely ever reach for it, because of its terrible UI.

Just curious, what makes it terrible in your opinion? It’s busy because there’s a lot going on but I don’t recall ever getting lost.

When I've seen this thread the other day SynthMaster was my first thought.
    I couldn't quite remember why I don't use it more often, so I gave it a quick go.
    Basic stuff (feel free to try and let me know how it goes)
    Init patch, detune subosc 2oct lower (wasn't easy), a bit of vibrato... didn't like vibrato, let's try to reset it. Tap for submenu is missing for that knob (who knows why) so no "reset to default ", let's try manually, keep trying, keep trying, ok let's try to remove modulation, but it's hardwired (yet listed under remove mod submenu). At that point I just gave up.
    I'm all for complex deep synths with submenus and all, that part is fine with me, but some kind of consistency, touch optimisation would very much be appreciated.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

Preset player ??? :o :D

Well if you think so, just go through the 1300 presets. They are designed by professional sound designers using THE synth

• tjatja
    edited February 2020

@Philandering_Bastard said:

I couldn't quite remember why I don't use it more often, so I gave it a quick go.
    Init patch, detune subosc 2oct lower (wasn't easy), a bit of vibrato... didn't like vibrato, let's try to reset it. Tap for submenu is missing for that knob (who knows why) so no "reset to default ", let's try manually, keep trying, keep trying, ok let's try to remove modulation, but it's hardwired (yet listed under remove mod submenu). At that point I just gave up.
    I'm all for complex deep synths with submenus and all, that part is fine with me, but some kind of consistency, touch optimisation would very much be appreciated.

Massively true.

Don't understand the appreciation of SynthMaster One, when it lacks such simple things.

Most buttons offer a "Set to default", but not all, which makes it pretty useless.

BTW, @kv331audio_bulent @kv331audio , the canonical way is a simply double-tap to reset any button!

Just honor and implement this - for any and all buttons, of course.
    No need to invent your own way (and then simply forget to apply it to all buttons)

It's not such hard to fix this synth, just think a bit and apply the basic stuff ;)
    I trust in you, for some time

• One Synth to Master = Synthmaster One. The name says it all

• edited February 2020

DRC!

Beautiful GUI, amazing sound, huge possibilities, wonderful effects....

It is so direct, simple but powerful.

For me, DRC is miles away from the most synths.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

Huh, you’re right. @kv331audio_bulent is there a reason why Vibrato doesn’t have a clickable sub menu like the other knobs?

Huh, you’re right. @kv331audio_bulent is there a reason why Vibrato doesn’t have a clickable sub menu like the other knobs?

There are more buttons missing this!

As i said, the UI is a mess.

AND, you want a double tap to reset to default!
    Nothing else...

• tjatja
    edited February 2020

Lets summarize:

Those got several votes:

Lagrange
    Sunrizer
    Zeeon
    SynthMaster One
    Poison 202

Those got mentioned:

Sunvox
    Factory
    LayR
    Tera
    DRC
    Continua
    Primer

Beside the UI problems, SynthMaster One would be nice.

I will compare those others in that first category, again.

BTW, my initial thought was:

THOR

Yes, the immortal Thor Synth:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/thor-polysonic-synthesizer/id660195946?l=en

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

Preset player ??? :o :D

Well if you think so, just go through the 1300 presets. They are designed by professional sound designers using THE synth

No disrespect, it's an awesome synth with endless possibilities and huge sound.
    But touch isn't the same as mouse. I'm pretty sure those 1300 presets were made on desktop, and it would take way way longer to remake them on ipad. That's my point.
    I don't need 1300 presets, there are 20-30 I will go back to and tweak if necessary. But I'd like to use the synth to it's full extent, and come up with my own sounds, but it's not always easy. And the challenge shouldn't be the UI.
    I rarely even save a preset, it's the journey what I like the most about all this.

Vibrato is a modulation amount knob (Vibrato LFO modulating Osc fine tune). So far modulation amount knobs don't have a menu. But looks like it's time to add that.

• @tja said:
    Lets summarize:

Those got several votes:

Lagrange
    Sunrizer
    Zeeon
    SynthMaster One
    Poison 202

Those got mentioned:

Sunvox
    Factory
    LayR
    Tera
    DRC
    Continua
    Primer

Beside the UI problems, SynthMaster One would be nice.

I will compare those others in that first category, again.

THOR

Thor is incredible. It’s the first big synth I got for iOS

Vibrato is a modulation amount knob (Vibrato LFO modulating Osc fine tune). So far modulation amount knobs don't have a menu. But looks like it's time to add that.

And any other buttons like LFO and Volume too!
    Clean up your UI.

And, reset to default by double tap!

• edited February 2020

@tja said:
    Don't understand the appreciation of SynthMaster One, when it lacks such simple things.

Most buttons offer a "Set to default", but not all, which makes it pretty useless.

BTW, @kv331audio_bulent @kv331audio , the canonical way is a simply double-tap to reset any button!

No need to invent your own way (and then simply forget to apply it to all buttons)

It's not such hard to fix this synth, just think a bit and apply the basic stuff ;)

So, not having a "set to default" implementation for modulation amount knobs is enough reason for you to write off the synth and call the UI a "mess" ? Whatever... as I a developer I can not make everyone happy, although that's my ultimate goal :)

I really tried to make sound design with SynthMaster One as simple as possible, because of that we have the following features:

1. Real-time visual feedback for modulation sources/targets
    2. Creating modulations by drag-n-drop
    3. Creating/deleting modulations for a knob/slider by tapping the control -> shows context menu for the control.
    4. In-place modulation amount editing for knobs/sliders by long pressing the control (for the current selected modulation source)
    5. Displaying modulation amounts of target knobs/sliders for the selected modulation source.
    6. Cross platform (Win/Mac/iOS) data synchronization.

Regarding the complaint on "hard-wired" modulations, let me ask this: Can you disable the filter envelope in a synth like the MiniMoog? Only by setting the filter env amount to zero.

• tjatja
    edited February 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@tja said:

So, not having a "set to default" implementation for modulation amount knobs is enough reason for you to write off the synth and call the UI a "mess" ? Whatever... as I a developer I can not make everyone happy, although that's my ultimate goal :)

I really tried to make sound design with SynthMaster One as simple as possible, because of that we have the following features:

2. Creating modulations by drag-n-drop
    3. In-place modulation amount editing for knobs/sliders by long pressing the control (for the current selected modulation source)
    4. Displaying modulation amounts of target knobs/sliders for the selected modulation source.
    5. Cross platform (Win/Mac/iOS) data synchronization.

I beg you to simply try to reset any of those buttons that dont have a "reset to default" button.
    Set them back to 0 or whatever.

It is not possible!

You can try 1 hour and you will not be able to achieve this!

For me, that means that i will not touch that Synth at all.

We had a long discussion about this in this very forum and it is clear that there are easy ways to fix this!
    But most developers either dont know or dont care.

Anyway.

The canonical way to reset any button is a double tab, no discussion needed.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:

I’m particularly fond of this one! <3 <3

(Hope you don’t get easily discouraged by drama queens. I love SynthMaster One. Double-tap to reset is indeed very nice to have consistently across controls, but it doesn’t ruin my day to have to turn a knob once in awhile. :D )

• @wim said:
    (Hope you don’t get easily discouraged by drama queens. I love SynthMaster One. Double-tap to reset is indeed very nice to have consistently across controls, but it doesn’t ruin my day to have to turn a knob once in awhile. :D )

Thank you <3

I will implement it via the single tap -> popup menu, not double tap.

Regarding the complaint on "hard-wired" modulations, let me ask this: Can you disable the filter envelope in a synth like the MiniMoog? Only by setting the filter env amount to zero.

I can't, nor I want, because I can simply set mod amount to 0. In most cases it's simple, with SM1 impossible or at least I couldn't after many attempts, which is why it's so frustrating.

• I tried SM1 just now - not used it in a while. Seems a bit easier to get where you want to go on the dials now. Has it had some work done?

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I tried SM1 just now - not used it in a while. Seems a bit easier to get where you want to go on the dials now. Has it had some work done?

Yep there was a recent big update. And I agree it's definitely an improvement.

I very much appreciate your interaction with us unwashed masses here. No snark, I am impressed.

• @tja said:

THOR

Thor is like a very beloved elderly and frail relative. Every time you call you half expect bad news.

@wim said:

Thank you <3

I will implement it via the single tap -> popup menu, not double tap.

Very sad.
    Missing an opportunity here.

Long press -> Menu
    Double tap -> Reset

This would be the good solution, and totally without drama :D ;)

Please also read the mentioned topic, as manipulating any knob is another problem which could be solved very easily!

• edited February 2020

@tja said:

Massively true.

@tja said:

There are more buttons missing this!

As i said, the UI is a mess.

AND, you want a double tap to reset to default!
    Nothing else...

These were already suggested and pointed out missing menus on some controls and to offer a way to reset values to default and dev has already agreed to look into them. See comments from feb 5 in this thread -

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36602/synthmaster-one-v1-3-universal-live/p12

Pop up menu would be more consistent and less confusing as we don’t have to remember which ones have double tap and which ones have menu.

• edited February 2020

This was discussed earlier too and it was clarified that fine tuning is hardwired to vibrato and cannot be severed. However, menus should be optimized by hiding irrelevant sub menu items like Clear Modulations, Remove Modulation, etc where not applicable so it is less confusing and fewer support questions. Fewer the support issues with default/expected behaviors, more time dev can spend on making it better.

• Thanks @MobileMusic I did not know that those are know issues and already being thought about.
    As as said, after my first tries, i gave up on SynthMaster One.
    That may change now, with changes to the UI, @kv331audio_bulent

Still, long press for menu and double tap to reset are more easy, logical and more consistent between many other Apps.

Just saying.

• edited February 2020

@tja said:
    Thanks @MobileMusic I did not know that those are know issues and already being thought about.
    As as said, after my first tries, i gave up on SynthMaster One.
    That may change now, with changes to the UI, @kv331audio_bulent

Still, long press for menu and double tap to reset are more easy, logical and more consistent between many other Apps.

Just saying.

I knew these were going to be issues for users after using Cubasis for years where it doesn’t have a way to reset values in Mixer, Automation editor, etc which is frustrating :neutral: and I suggested them to Steinberg too. Sometimes, minor issues to resolve like this can cause huge frustration every time we need to tweak values.

• @MobileMusic said:

This was discussed earlier too and it was clarified that fine tuning is hardwired to vibrato and cannot be severed. However, menus should be optimized by hiding irrelevant menu items where not applicable so it is less confusing and fewer support questions

As mentioned above, I'm perfectly happy with hardwired modulations, it was a last resort for getting rid of vibrato. If the knob could be set to 0 by any means I wouldn't even tried it.

If anyone can set that knob to 0 in 10 attempts please share your method. :)

• @RobertFernandes said:

@richardyot said:
    At first I thought you had scribbled directly on the Minilab, but on closer inspection I see it's paper stuck down. It would be pretty cool to make Illustrator or Photoshop templates that could be printed out for various iOS synths and swapped out interchangeably on the Minilab.

That is a great idea! It would be very nice.

@johnp352
    What I did was take the shapes out of the manual and composed it on an image editor. Then printed it on “thick paper”, kind of like card. Afterwards I just used some crayons to paint the different colors :smile:
    Next time, If I have the time, I will print out the colors directly from the computer to make it look better. Probably not, as too much time is involved.

Will share the Minilab templates, however, in case someone doesn’t want to take the time to map all the templates with different CC’s. ;-]

I’m definitely interested in your mini lab template(s). It’s always interesting to see how other people group up functionality.