Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiKeys AUv3 MIDI Sequencer Plugin Preview for iPad.

13»

Comments

• edited February 2020

double post

• All of the discussion about the bugs in the Multitrack app seem helpful in so far as they provide detailed information about user experiences with it and what responses they’ve received from the developer about fixing them. It does seem relevant to raise concerns in this thread as DigiKeys seems to be the MIDI version of Multitrack.

For me, the rest of the discussion isn’t very useful as it doesn’t seem to provide any additional information musicians could use to decide whether or not it’s an app worth getting.

• @InfoCheck said:
    All of the discussion about the bugs in the Multitrack app seem helpful in so far as they provide detailed information about user experiences with it and what responses they’ve received from the developer about fixing them. It does seem relevant to raise concerns in this thread as DigiKeys seems to be the MIDI version of Multitrack.

For me, the rest of the discussion isn’t very useful as it doesn’t seem to provide any additional information musicians could use to decide whether or not it’s an app worth getting.

Not necessarily. DigiKeys looks to be more akin to DigiStix which many (self included) seem to find quite usable. I think the issue with MultiTrack has to do with moving clips, clip re-drawing and sound dropouts. As I posted earlier, using Apple Pencil I did not see any issues in over an hour of fairly complex use except one instance of the screen not re-drawing properly which was corrected by hitting the Zoom button. At no time did it crash or did I lose anything.

• ^this. I expect DigiKeys will be solid as DigiStix is. It’s the clip arranger in MultiTrack that has been problematic.

• @Faland said:
    Why you defined my argument “pointless”?
    I just said that for me 4Pockets plugs are among the best, MonzoPro disagreed because he has a big issue with MT. I haven’t got the same issue, but I never wrote he was wrong. I never wrote that was unfair to complain about the issue, or that he was a sycophant (but perhaps he meant hierophant) or a liar or that I have best things to do.

So, please explain why a different opinion would be “pointless”?

FWIW, I didn’t read that as saying your argument was pointless. I read it as saying that being drawn into arguments about such things is pointless. None of my business tho, so I’ll butt out. -peace✌️😎

• I guess I can say that DigiStix is stable. Never crashed or anything.
    My problem with the app is
    -knob behavior / barely can set them to the value I want, crucial for tuning drums
    -terrible seq jitter / can't believe no one else experiencing it, just insert 16 hihats and enjoy the power of 0% swing :)

Digistix is the first app I bought from 4P. I consider these showstoppers.

• I struggle with the same thing on the 4pockets apps as well - you can do a bit better if you hit them dead on and just operate them vertically but it still feels 'off', not sure why. Oh and the discrepancies between flux and digistix for note entry are awkward too. Oh and not being able to scroll freely on iPhone, even when there's plenty of room makes quick editing of note ties and triplets etc a bit annoying.

They do have a lot of features though...

• @Krupa said:
    I struggle with the same thing on the 4pockets apps as well - you can do a bit better if you hit them dead on and just operate them vertically but it still feels 'off', not sure why. Oh and the discrepancies between flux and digistix for note entry are awkward too. Oh and not being able to scroll freely on iPhone, even when there's plenty of room makes quick editing of note ties and triplets etc a bit annoying.

Go horizontal

• @wim said:

@Faland said:
    Why you defined my argument “pointless”?
    I just said that for me 4Pockets plugs are among the best, MonzoPro disagreed because he has a big issue with MT. I haven’t got the same issue, but I never wrote he was wrong. I never wrote that was unfair to complain about the issue, or that he was a sycophant (but perhaps he meant hierophant) or a liar or that I have best things to do.

So, please explain why a different opinion would be “pointless”?

FWIW, I didn’t read that as saying your argument was pointless. I read it as saying that being drawn into arguments about such things is pointless. None of my business tho, so I’ll butt out. -peace✌️😎

Maybe you’re right, Cheers 🙃

• @anickt said:

@Krupa said:
    I struggle with the same thing on the 4pockets apps as well - you can do a bit better if you hit them dead on and just operate them vertically but it still feels 'off', not sure why. Oh and the discrepancies between flux and digistix for note entry are awkward too. Oh and not being able to scroll freely on iPhone, even when there's plenty of room makes quick editing of note ties and triplets etc a bit annoying.

Go horizontal

Thanks, it's a little better but still, I just tried adjusting chorus low down on digistix and it leaps about, sticking sometimes, can't get my head round it as it's pretty standard stuff on pretty much every other app...

• @Krupa said:

@anickt said:

@Krupa said:

Go horizontal

Thanks, it's a little better but still, I just tried adjusting chorus low down on digistix and it leaps about, sticking sometimes, can't get my head round it as it's pretty standard stuff on pretty much every other app...

Yes - the controls up top are sticky. That’s why tempo has a pop-up. It didn’t originally. The controls for the pads aren’t bad when dragging horizontally. I’ll email the dev.

I’ve also found that DigiStix tempo is tighter when hosted in NS2. I haven’t tried it in anything else.

• Yeah there’s lots to love about this, and all his apps despite the odd quirk or two 👍

• It looks like this has the Digistix engine in it. I wonder how much of Digistix it covers?

• Pretty stoked to get this one, it looks like it’ll be a good live performance tool in addition to song making

• This really feels like a 're-packaging' of Chameleon and DigiStix without any sample/instrument editing?!
    (I though I'd have more mileage from Digistix and Chameleon but went back to BeatMaker 3 for my sampling needs).

• @Krupa said:

@anickt said:

@Krupa said:

Go horizontal

I emailed the dev about the knobs. If you swipe vertically or horizontally through the center of the knob it’s quite smooth. If you go to the side when swiping vertically (for instance) it will get jumpy. Knowing that I was able to get good results. FYI

• Cheers @anickt it does seem better that way, it's not all that bad on the iPad but on the phone it just puts me off fiddling with them... Hoping that one day they revisit their UI kit, when they give themselves a chance 🤣

Thanks again 👍

• edited February 2020

So when can we expect this?

Bet it will be out before Drambo 😂

• @MonzoPro said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

I don’t have it and was under the impression things were up and running at close to 95%.

Not for me.

@espiegel123 said:

I looked at the thread and saw many references from you of bugs that haven't been fixed but whatever specifics you supplied are buried deep in the thread. Can you list the bugs that you feel significantly hamper its functionality?

I haven't got them to hand, but from memory things such as:

clips continuing to play with the transport controls frozen - so I have to sit and wait for the song to finish playing before I can carry on editing,

clips jumping about when you go to select them, so they look like they're not in the correct position in the timeline,

and audio clips randomly not playing were a few bugs in that list.

The app would do all of those things every single time I used it. Those and the other workflow issues (why is there so much unused space in portrait mode, why can I only see four tracks at a time in landscape etc.) make it an unusable proposition for me.

As I've said previously it would be in my top 5 apps if the bugs were fixed, but in its present state I can't bear to use it.

I’ve read through Multitrack threads and I’ve noticed that Paul has done his best to fix most of the issues people encountered on the app.
    iOS unfortunately is a hit or miss system.
    I had an issue with LayR not working properly in Cubasis, it would stutter or crash the audio engine when I move Cubasis mixer fades and no other single person could reproduce this issue.
    LayR worked fine in Other DAWs just not in Cubasis ( at least for me).
    I made videos about it, the issue went on for a year or two.i could reproduce it everytime I use LayR in Cubasis but the team over at steinberg couldn’t , nor could anyone on this forum or Facebook musicians page.
    The bug has been fixed with the recent Cubasis 2 update and also in Cubasis 3.
    If you are on Facebook, I kindly suggest you do the following :

Following 4pockets page
    Do a screen recording of you working with Multitrack
    So if the issue you state happen, you can send it to Paul directly on Facebook, giving a visual of the issue could help him see what’s going on.
    I’ve never had issues contacting Paul, he always reply’s and I sometimes send him a chat just to check up on him.
    He is a really cool person.
    Have a nice day😊

• tpjtpj
    edited February 2020

I have all his apps and the features are always great, but my main problem with most of them is the endless multiple tapping, holding and scrolling to do basic tasks that should be one touch operations, causing to stop using them completely.

Interface design and workflow seems a low priority for many ios developers in general. The ones that get it, obviously have a practical background actually using audio/midi tools.
    When you are editing and arranging midi in Xequence or Nanostudio or use GR16 we all know how awesome it can be.

In addition we can fully use a bluetooth keyboard to type and do keyboard combos in iOS. This could be used by developers to greatly improve any app workflow. Who doesnt want to select a track with 1, duplicate a clip with command D or delete a clip with backspace or switch from arrangement to mixer pressing tab. Move notes in the pianoroll around using the cursors in combination with modifier keys to have full control. Just to give a few basic examples. I'm no developer but i'm sure this can greatly improve any app on iOS big time 😎

• Interface design and workflow seems a low priority for many ios developers in general. The ones that get it, obviously have a practical background actually using audio/midi tools.

I don't think it's a low priority so much, as it's something most developers don't know the first thing about. It's a rare combination of skills.