Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Channel Routing/Redirect

Does anyone know if an IOS MIDI utility (MIDIFlow) can reroute inbound messages to a different channel?

I want to use two external drum pads that hard code to MIDI channel 10 to connect to drum apps.

I only have one drum pad now but don't want to buy the other one just yet.

I used MIDI wrench to look at the inbound data. The pad sends all messages on channel 10 with different note values for the pad. I am wondering now if it will even be an issue. If the two pads are both sending on channel 10 but with different note values it may just work.

I am guessing that the drum apps (Drum Perfect Pro) will see each pad individually.

Thx

Comments

• edited February 2020

Various apps can do this for. MidiFlow that you mentioned may be the easiest for you as it has a clear UI.

Scripting apps such as StreamByter, MidiFire, Mozaic can do this simple task with code but they're mighty powerful for more complex tasks too. Would you see yourself needing further midi solutions in future?

There are other apps too. I'm sure you'll get more recommendations here.

It's a very simple task and we should be able to find the right app for you. :)

• BTW, can you give us a bit more detail about your setup... connections and routing etc.

• Thanks for your reply. This is what I'm looking at.

• edited February 2020

To clarify, is OP asking how to use MIDI iOS apps, such as MIDIflow and the Rozeta Suite, to be able to trigger hardware drum pads?

I just found out how to do this by following this YouTube video (it applies to using Beatstep Pro with Logic Pro but it may still help). Everytime he mentions Beatstep Pro just replace it with iPad assuming you have activated it with IDAM. It’s not exactly what you’re looking for but it may help:

I was actually gonna write a tutorial about it this weekend as well as how to sync the MIDI iOS apps to Logic, essentially making it the same as Ableton Link.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Various apps can do this for. MidiFlow that you mentioned may be the easiest for you as it has a clear UI.

Scripting apps such as StreamByter, MidiFire, Mozaic can do this simple task with code but they're mighty powerful for more complex tasks too. Would you see yourself needing further midi solutions in future?

Midifire doesn't require scripting to do this, btw. It has a host of midi manipulations that don't use scripting. In fact, the scripting part (Streambyter) was added to further extend its already deep capabilities.

• @espiegel123 said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Midifire doesn't require scripting to do this, btw. It has a host of midi manipulations that don't use scripting. In fact, the scripting part (Streambyter) was added to further extend its already deep capabilities.

This is true. I always add in MidiFire automatically when talking about SB, because I figure if you're getting SB you may as well go for MF. :)

Reminds me actually that Audeonic split out most of the functions to separate Apps, MFX series.

https://audeonic.com/mfx/

• @diex68 said:
    Thanks for your reply. This is what I'm looking at.

Out of interest, are the drumpads likely to be the same product? I imagine this would involve another conundrum, that if they're exactly the same sending out exactly the same info, then some kind of device ID may be needed to target one for the conversion.

• @diex68 said:
    Does anyone know if an IOS MIDI utility (MIDIFlow) can reroute inbound messages to a different channel?

I want to use two external drum pads that hard code to MIDI channel 10 to connect to drum apps.

I only have one drum pad now but don't want to buy the other one just yet.

I used MIDI wrench to look at the inbound data. The pad sends all messages on channel 10 with different note values for the pad. I am wondering now if it will even be an issue. If the two pads are both sending on channel 10 but with different note values it may just work.

I am guessing that the drum apps (Drum Perfect Pro) will see each pad individually.

Thx

So the question is, "what are you trying to trigger, and how?"

If you want to control two separate apps with the two separate pads, you don't need to do anything. Even if the pads are outputting the same notes on the same Ch10, because they're two separate devices, those are two separate streams of notes on two separate Ch10s and you can route them independently to the two apps.

If you're trying to trigger one app with the two pads then you need to make sure that either or both the notes or channels are different. It might be easier to change the notes so you just end up with a larger pool of notes all on Ch10. If you can change the range of notes on each drum pad, you're set. Otherwise, there are several software options, including the free "Midiflow Transposer"

(Side note: WTF with the imbecile posting a 1 star review because "Developer has capitulated to the scourge of the GDPR. Sad."? Ugh.)

There are lots of other options for changing the notes and/or channels, some noted previously.

• edited February 2020

@aplourde said:
    snip

If you want to control two separate apps with the two separate pads, you don't need to do anything. Even if the pads are outputting the same notes on the same Ch10, because they're two separate devices, those are two separate streams of notes on two separate Ch10s and you can route them independently to the two apps.

If you're trying to trigger one app with the two pads then you need to make sure that either or both the notes or channels are different. It might be easier to change the notes so you just end up with a larger pool of notes all on Ch10. If you can change the range of notes on each drum pad, you're set. Otherwise, there are several software options, including the free "Midiflow Transposer"

(Side note: WTF with the imbecile posting a 1 star review because "Developer has capitulated to the scourge of the GDPR. Sad."? Ugh.)

There are lots of other options for changing the notes and/or channels, some noted previously.

I think you covered it. Two 4-Pad Drum Pads (KAT KTMP1) to one app (Drum Perfect Pro or Drum Session).
    Each pad (x8) will send different notes so the dup channel 10 may not be an issue. If for some reason it is it looks like the MIDI utility options have me covered.

Now, as SpookyZoo mentioned, I will have to see how the OS/Apps handle the two identical devices.

Thanks again.