Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any iOS DAW's support hardware controllers?

I have searched, and I believe the answer to be no (except for Auria Pro perhaps), but do any of the established DAW's have the ability to get commands from a Hardware controller, such as Preonus Faderport or Korg NanoKONTROL? Start/Stop, mixer levels would all be good.

If not, why do you think this is? The touchscreen still does not replace tactile hardware in my opinion. In any case, my iPad is not always in front of my keyboard and I'd like to be able to control the DAW from there.

Thanks.

Comments

• Would love more hardware for the iPad. I think the reasons seem to be lack of interest for the hardware that have been made for iPad - such as the keyboard by Akai, Arturia drum hardware for iSpark, Beringer and other mixer hardware. Seems that the market is just too small to encourage development costs.

Other issues include: lack of high end software music staples for iOS. iOS updates, Apple changing and ditching legacy ports, Apple preferring a closed market where they control much of what happens on their devices and probably the APP market not encouraging high cost / low sale apps.

Saying all the above, I still think there is more of a market for iOS related hardware, but many of the manufacturers have missed the point - they often make hardware that works well with iOS, but still requires a Mac or PC to alter settings! Any manufacturer that does make that hardware that takes the market by storm, will have to be in it for the long term.

If Apple produced a full blown DAW for iOS, then things will likely change. I just think at this time, Apple is not that interested in taking the high end music money from their Mac range and diluting it to their iPads - just yet!

• edited February 2020

Isn't this more a DAW software issue? I've just been reading through the Auria Pro manual (I don't own this) and it looks like it supports Mackie MCU and HUI protocol for controllers, so pretty much any should work with Auria right?

I'm not sure we need MFi hardware - most USB interfaces are not MFi but work well (with the Apple adapter).

• Any controller that is a class compliant device should work. My Novation Remote Zero took some time to set up, but it works in AUM, BM3 and NanoStudio just fine.

• Auria Pro is the only one with Hiu and Mackie control. Ive used it many times on different controllers and it works

• What we need is some sort of scripting like Ableton has. Just “dumb” midi learn or assigning values isn’t cutting with MIDI controllers. Not sure if its possible. Ableton uses Python for midi scripting.

• GarageBand works very well with QWERTY keyboard shortcuts. Just hold down the ⌘ key to see a list