Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New hope for Logic on iPad?

edited February 2020 in General App Discussion

Here is another one of the countless hope making and disappointing Logic coming to the iPad speculation threads. Sorry about that :smiley:
But.. I would like to share thoughts again about this topic (objective/subjective/speculative/any).
Let me start with a link (that stirred me up again):
https://ask.audio/articles/apples-universal-purchases-pointing-to-future-daws-on-mac-ios

So three reasons why I see a potential that we might see Logic coming after all.

1. Apples target group with the iPad Pro clearly is (the next generation of) creative pros. The 2018 iPad Pro introduction event was held in NYC (a city known for it's diversity and many creative talents) introduced features and pictures where mostly focused on creativity. And we were promised a full version of Photoshop. So big effort to get major creative pro software onto the iPad. Yeah Apple is investing A LOT into the iPad while the market is not even encouraging that. But I guess they're forward thinking and see a lot of potential. Which I also do see.

2. The Logic X development for desktop has been rather subtle in the last two years. Some bug fix updates and getting logic ready for the new Mac Pro. But that's pretty much it. No major point updates nor major new features. So it feels like there must be a little secret happening unless Apple decided to slowly get out of the software market. But we also thought that before Logic X suddenly hit the App Store. So maybe instead of investing a lot into a new Logic 11 for Mac they invest into a forward thinking touch screen optimized version for iPadOS. Come on screen size and cpu power is not an issue anymore.

3. Todays news about universal apps and Catalyst. Which could effect AUs but mostly shows yet another time that Apple is serious about their plan to move platforms further together. Catalyst of course is another major sign of that. To me Catalyst was also groundbreaking news. For developers to develop an iPad app that also will work on Mac. But it's iPad first. Who want to develop a Mac app without touch support and bring it over to the iPad? So clearly the iPad is the privileged device in that aspect.

So in my opinion sooner or later (hopefully in march) Apple will release their pro apps for iPadOS UNLESS as I mentioned before Apple will move out of the (pro) software side of things.

I'm still holding off to make the complete move to iPadOS until there is a major DAW packed with features and instruments, audio quantize, melodyne like pitch correction and the list goes on....
But I'm super excited about the mobility of the iPad and I will work on my mixes (fingers crossed) with headphones in a cafe without having a big laptop in front of me. Thats my goal. Ok enough now. Next time I will share my thought in an ebook or something 😅

Keen to hear your thoughts!

Comments

• That would be pretty sweet. I love Logic and love my apps. Would be awesome to have them on the same devices.

• edited February 2020

Personally I'm hoping that Live and Logic X will stay far away from iOS. It would only draw the KVR/Gearslutz crowd to iOS, expecting mobile music to be a portable mirror of desktop music, resulting in incessant complaining and disappointment.

Sorry if that comes across cynical, but I genuinely fear it would not make iOS a better place.

• Being possible doesn’t make it probable.

I will love to see that happen but ATM Apple advertises desktop pro line (including mac mini dark grey) as perfect machines for Logic/Mainstage so I expect reduced versions (as Photoshop is ATM) more than port from x86.

It will come some day and I will love to see in 2020 but I don’t expect it my bad.

• who needs logic on ios to be honest? There are enough daws for the iPad allready. Me personally dont need something as complicated as logic x for a touch device. Give me Reason instead 🤗

• @brambos said:
    Personally I'm hoping that Live and Logic X will stay far away from iOS. It would only draw the KVR/Gearslutz crowd to iOS, expecting mobile music to be a portable mirror of desktop music, resulting in incessant complaining and disappointment.

Sorry if that comes across cynical, but I genuinely fear it would not make iOS a better place.

Not necessary, It depend on the implementation of logic
    If Logic on the iPad is what GarageBand for iPad is compare to the desktop counterpart, it should be ok and won’t cause frustration.

• @brambos said:

Good point. It sounds like a super-not-fun prospect for iOS devs.

• @mistkerl said:
    who needs logic on ios to be honest? There are enough daws for the iPad allready. Me personally dont need something as complicated as logic x for a touch device. Give me Reason instead 🤗

Me. I would love to offload my MacBook and work entirely from my iPad and iPhone.

• @brambos said:
    resulting in incessant complaining and disappointment.

Yeah, totally different about the Audiobus mood, eh?

Right?

Eh?

• @OnfraySin said:

@brambos said:
    resulting in incessant complaining and disappointment.

Yeah, totally different about the Audiobus mood, eh?

Right?

Eh?

:D :D

• @brambos said:

Totally agree.. We have already enough complainers who are expecting mobile music to be a portable mirror of desktop music now, so we don't need more from of them :trollface: :trollface:

• I have been a Logic user since the very beginning when it still hat ‘Notator’ in its name.

I have the current version on my MacBook.

I don’t think I want it on iOS.

There would be a terrible backlash if logic for iOS was a cut down version of logic on the Mac and its frankly impractical to port it as it is. It’s way too complex and bloated. There’s not much chance of it having feature parity.

I’d rather have proper made for iPad apps not ports. A ‘GarageBand Pro’ rather than a logic light would make more sense to me.

I fear for a lot of the catalyst apps.it seems to weaken the Mac as a platform.

Also catalyst seems to be primarily designed as a way to let devs make Mac apps from an iPad core, not the other way around. Eventually swift UI will allow cross platform development.

• All I need is Final Cut Pro :smiley:

• GarageBand Pro would suit me!

• @klownshed said:
    I have been a Logic user since the very beginning when it still hat ‘Notator’ in its name.

I have the current version on my MacBook.

I don’t think I want it on iOS.

There would be a terrible backlash if logic for iOS was a cut down version of logic on the Mac and its frankly impractical to port it as it is. It’s way too complex and bloated. There’s not much chance of it having feature parity.

I’d rather have proper made for iPad apps not ports. A ‘GarageBand Pro’ rather than a logic light would make more sense to me.

I fear for a lot of the catalyst apps.it seems to weaken the Mac as a platform.

Also catalyst seems to be primarily designed as a way to let devs make Mac apps from an iPad core, not the other way around. Eventually swift UI will allow cross platform development.

In fact I have Logic on desktop and I only want it to mixdown. For the rest I prefer Garageband in desktop and BlocsWave on iPad. :sweat_smile:

• Stupid iPads.
    Computers are way better.
    :p

• @PhilW said:
    GarageBand Pro would suit me!

Me too. Just being able to share a project between iPad and mac would help a lot.

• @PhilW said:

No Logic light instead 😂😂😂

• @mistercharlie said:

@PhilW said:

Me too. Just being able to share a project between iPad and mac would help a lot.

Are you serious? It's possible ATM...

• @YourJunk said:

@mistkerl said:
    who needs logic on ios to be honest? There are enough daws for the iPad allready. Me personally dont need something as complicated as logic x for a touch device. Give me Reason instead 🤗

Me. I would love to offload my MacBook and work entirely from my iPad and iPhone.

This is the key to me. The portability and power of iPad is totally mesmerising. GarageBand iOS I don’t use at it still presents itself as a beginner app. I use Cubasis and nanostudio 2 on iOS, but logic x and studio one on Mac. I really would be in the market for logic. I think it really is time for iPad to be pro user. It’s ready.

• @brambos said:

+1

• I get your perspective as a dev @brambos
    I don't see the iPad as being an addition to the desktop only. The latest iPad Pro performance is barely lower than my iMac 2013 that still is capable of running the latest logic with very low latency. Yeah I would miss the screen real estate but would greatly appreciate the iPads portability.

I also rather expect the first logic built for iPad to be more on the garageband pro side but definitely still worth it. It surely will develop over time. So let's see :)

• @johnrob66 said:

@YourJunk said:

@mistkerl said:

This is the key to me. The portability and power of iPad is totally mesmerising. GarageBand iOS I don’t use at it still presents itself as a beginner app. I use Cubasis and nanostudio 2 on iOS, but logic x and studio one on Mac. I really would be in the market for logic. I think it really is time for iPad to be pro user. It’s ready.

I’m not so sure it is. The hardware is but the iOS is lagging.

All the ‘pro’ type features they’ve been adding to make it more Mac like such as the split screen multi tasking are a bit of a disaster.

The iPad is actually becoming harder and more complex to use than the Mac. If anybody wants to challenge that then try getting your mum to open two documents from two different apps side by side on an iPad. “No mum, drag up a bit more slowly... STOP you’re dragging too far!’ And Forget about trying to tell her how to put two apps in split screen that aren’t in the dock.

Multitasking on the Mac by contrast is a doddle.

So many of the things I do in logic require accurate clicking, lots of keyiboard controls and modifiers etc.

There are lots of ways in which I much prefer using my iPad. But apps like logic are still far better suited to desktops with keyboards, big screens and mice. It is also very reliant on lots of storage and buckets of RAM.

I’m sure they’ll get there though. Hopefully the long time it’s been since the last significant GarageBand update means that they’re already working on something new. I really hope so.

My fear is that they’ll release a completely new logic for iOS AND Mac and end up crippling the Mac version.

• @jacou said:
    I get your perspective as a dev @brambos
    I don't see the iPad as being an addition to the desktop only. The latest iPad Pro performance is barely lower than my iMac 2013 that still is capable of running the latest logic with very low latency. Yeah I would miss the screen real estate but would greatly appreciate the iPads portability.

I also rather expect the first logic built for iPad to be more on the garageband pro side but definitely still worth it. It surely will develop over time. So let's see :)

I’m not worried about raw performance or specs.

I just don’t believe in 1:1 conversions of software made for mouse/keyboard/24” screens to 10” mobile touch interfaces without running into fundamental paradigm differences.

It’s about incompatible interaction design concepts.

• @brambos said:

@jacou said:

I just don’t believe in 1:1 conversions of software made for mouse/keyboard/24” screens to 10” mobile touch interfaces without running into fundamental paradigm differences.

It’s about incompatible interaction design concepts.

I definitely think moving between iOS to Mac would involve a bounce.

• @brambos said:

@jacou said:

It’s about incompatible interaction design

100% with you. A 1:1 conversion would be disastrous.
    Yeah it would need a complete reimagined interface. Completely decluttered and minimalistic but hopefully still powerful and packed with features.
    In an ideal world Apple would continue developing Logic X on Mac as it is and boot a new futuristic Logic for iPadOS.

Oh and as a side Note. Today I just read somewhere that apple will allow keyboard shortcuts in the next iPadOS/iOS. So another step forward.

• New hope is just fine, but don’t let Disney get their hands on our beloved apps! :p

• Just wait till Apple comes out with the “iPad DoubleProPlusS-XL version 20” iPad cheese grater edition”
    Then we will be ready for logiciOS Pro

• My hope for Logic on iPad is hope that it won't happen. I want my iOS apps designed for touch use.

• I just want a simple iOS/iPadOS AUv3 sampler with Files.app support that is next to a carbon copy of Ableton Simpler.
    Who knows, maybe we'll see some 'interesting off-springs' of existing apps during 2020...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.