Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Staffpad now available for ipad with Kontakt-libraries IAPs

I've never heard of it before and it is quite pricey:

https://apps.apple.com/app/staffpad/id1442074103

«1

Comments

  • A bit pricey indeed / no thanks

  • Interesting but not got that kind of cash lying around

  • True but the expansions must sound amazing. That quality but in a DAW or with MIDI in is what I guess most of us would prefer over actually writing the music with the apple pencil.

  • @Treaszure said:
    True but the expansions must sound amazing. That quality but in a DAW or with MIDI in is what I guess most of us would prefer over actually writing the music with the apple pencil.

    I'm perfectly fine with the piano roll, most likely because I grew up with it.

  • Try this one before, maybe it’s as not as good, but it’s free...

    https://apps.apple.com/it/app/komp-create/id1103355632

  • I use Notion, as do a number of others here. Staff pad was originally only on Surface Pro, and works quite well on there. It was THE “write it on a tablet” composition software, and people have been begging him for years to port to iPad. I don’t think they had Kontakt libraries for it back then though...

  • For quick sketching notation if I’m away from my desktop (Sibelius) I use this. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/score-creator-compose-music/id627486149
    Not very intuitive at first but does the job and exports to midi which is all I need for later improvements.

  • This looks brilliant. I have two issues (unrelated to the quality of the app):

    1) I rarely hand write music notation anymore (read: NEVER)
    2) $90 USD is pricey.

    This new price threshold for apps in 2020 topping out at $100 (this means you Hammond B-3X) is just frustrating. My wallet and I were much happier when $20 USD was considered expensive.

  • There's some spitfire IAP sounds that I'd love to have, namely the felt piano. I'd gladly pay $150 for it if the sounds were accessible as auv3.

  • @ion677 said:
    There's some spitfire IAP sounds that I'd love to have, namely the felt piano. I'd gladly pay $150 for it if the sounds were accessible as auv3.

    Someone released a free exs24 felt piano. I have the samples, but I don't know which app would benefit from using all the samples, including key noises.

  • @animalelder said:

    @ion677 said:
    There's some spitfire IAP sounds that I'd love to have, namely the felt piano. I'd gladly pay $150 for it if the sounds were accessible as auv3.

    Someone released a free exs24 felt piano. I have the samples, but I don't know which app would benefit from using all the samples, including key noises.

    Audiolayer :)

  • @Treaszure said:

    @animalelder said:

    @ion677 said:
    There's some spitfire IAP sounds that I'd love to have, namely the felt piano. I'd gladly pay $150 for it if the sounds were accessible as auv3.

    Someone released a free exs24 felt piano. I have the samples, but I don't know which app would benefit from using all the samples, including key noises.

    Audiolayer :)

    True, it does look like it would have the amount of layers and zones, but I could just use this samples on my computer and not pay $30. It is good to know, though, so thank you. I love the sound of a felt piano, but not quite willing to pay $30 for iOS use.

    I like Obsidian as a sampler and BeatMaker3's sampling engine. Not as complex as I can do in OSX, but pretty good.

  • Ok this is intense, anyone have any idea what these sample packs are going for price wise?

  • Several libraries cost more than the app itself... 🥺

  • edited February 5

    $930 for the APP and all 10 IAP.
    [edit] looks like there are more IAP sample packs on the video demo than the 10 listed on the app store?

  • Anyone know if you can "play in" and record parts via a midi controller?

  • @Eschatone said:
    $930 for the APP and all 10 IAP.
    [edit] looks like there are more IAP sample packs on the video demo than the 10 listed on the app store?

    Is the iPad even capable of processing all the of this? Orchestral work taxes even high-end desktops with processors optimised for performance, not power consumption like mobile devices.

    In other words, if I am going to drop north of £1k wouldn’t I be better off getting some regular Spitfire libraries?

  • @mjcouche said:
    I use Notion, as do a number of others here. Staff pad was originally only on Surface Pro, and works quite well on there. It was THE “write it on a tablet” composition software, and people have been begging him for years to port to iPad. I don’t think they had Kontakt libraries for it back then though...

    Do have you have Notion’s handwriting IAP and what’s your impression of it? Is it viable for non-pencil compatible iPad’s like mine?

  • This app is definitely for the professional composer. Pretty slick stuff.

  • This is quite slick. For those who prefer notation to piano roll, it seems very convenient. I guess the sample packs are optimized specifically to sound best for this app, so no 100GB packs here. LOL at that D6 chord interpretation in a Mozart, who would likely prefer Bm7/D. :D

  • @onkey said:

    @mjcouche said:
    I use Notion, as do a number of others here. Staff pad was originally only on Surface Pro, and works quite well on there. It was THE “write it on a tablet” composition software, and people have been begging him for years to port to iPad. I don’t think they had Kontakt libraries for it back then though...

    Do have you have Notion’s handwriting IAP and what’s your impression of it? Is it viable for non-pencil compatible iPad’s like mine?

    I do have it - but I have the iPad 9.7 2018 that has the Apple Pencil ability, so I can’t comment on your second question. I like it well enough, StaffPad is definitely better when I used it on the Surface. It all takes getting used to and the ability to add in notes with a controller or the onscreen keyboard in Notion is sometimes easier.

    I think the only way this could be justified (the high IAPs) would be if there is some sort of MIDI in, and some sort of export of sound at an instrument by instrument level. It doesn’t make sense to have this just to play it back and have it sound good. And of course the CPU performance.

  • @mjcouche said:

    @onkey said:

    @mjcouche said:
    I use Notion, as do a number of others here. Staff pad was originally only on Surface Pro, and works quite well on there. It was THE “write it on a tablet” composition software, and people have been begging him for years to port to iPad. I don’t think they had Kontakt libraries for it back then though...

    Do have you have Notion’s handwriting IAP and what’s your impression of it? Is it viable for non-pencil compatible iPad’s like mine?

    I do have it - but I have the iPad 9.7 2018 that has the Apple Pencil ability, so I can’t comment on your second question. I like it well enough, StaffPad is definitely better when I used it on the Surface. It all takes getting used to and the ability to add in notes with a controller or the onscreen keyboard in Notion is sometimes easier.

    I think the only way this could be justified (the high IAPs) would be if there is some sort of MIDI in, and some sort of export of sound at an instrument by instrument level. It doesn’t make sense to have this just to play it back and have it sound good. And of course the CPU performance.

    Good points! If this has a mixer section like Notion’s then (as a workaround) you could mute the appropriate parts and record the output into a DAW. Not ideal, but might be worth it for those stellar instrument sounds.

  • In case anyone is interested, Notion’s Handwriting IAP works perfectly well with a regular stylus. Saves a bunch of time drawing in articulations and the like. Thanks @mjcouche !

  • This looks just great. I have Notion but am not fully satisfied with the Handwriting feature (in fact not at all). The price of Staffpad is however too high. I would buy it at 40. Will wait for an hypothetical discount and take the risk to not becoming the new Bizet

  • Notion just got an update too. The price of this one makes me think either very serious student or professional.

  • As a reference, Staffpad dropped on Windows at a price of $70. This new version for iPad is a complete rewrite, so I understand the price tag. I'm sticking with Notion for now, as it still is very high. If you buy all sounds with Notion you basically have the base version of Staffpad, for less.

  • Does anyone know a way to track an app and have a kind of alerting when it's price goes below a certain threshold? We used to have this function in App Store but they stopped it for whatever ($$) reasons...

  • @cuscolima said:
    Does anyone know a way to track an app and have a kind of alerting when it's price goes below a certain threshold? We used to have this function in App Store but they stopped it for whatever ($$) reasons...

    https://appsliced.co/

  • Cool, thanks

  • edited February 12

    This app is really impressive to me. I’ve been trying to create decent sounding orchestral music on iOS for years and now I finally can. Here’s my first attempt with this program. I used all Cinesamples libraries for this one, and the composition process was mostly glitch-free. I'm actually surprised at how well it it all works.

Sign In or Register to comment.