Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro Workflow for Orchestral Arrangements

Hi,

Wondering if anyone is using IOS apps, such as Auria Pro for large(ish) orchestral arrangements, and how they go about it.

I have created a project with around 40 instances of Lyra in Auria Pro using a bunch of free orchestral soundfont libraries. This is ruining on an old iPad Air 2 and have no CPU issues with this many instances of Lyra

The results are not bad, but I am lacking in some of the string ensemble sounds.

I installed, and really like sounds in iSymphonic, but how can you use AUv3 apps like iSymphonic in this scenario? Certainly cannot create 40 instances of the AU, it will crash after about two or three. I think there is an Apple imposed limit on how much memory an AU can use, something like 360Mb, so that will run out pretty quickly loading multiple instances of the same AU.

So, does anyone else have similar workflow, or is there a better way of doing this?

I was thinking of abandoning MIDI altogether and recording output of iSymphonic to audio tracks, almost like you were working with real instruments, but of course you lose the ability to edit the performance after the event.

The problem I have with the sample libraries, correct me if I am wrong, is Lyra only supports soundfont version 1, and more recent, more advanced libraries are using version 2.

Comments

• It might be worth looking into SynthJacker to create Lyra instruments from iSymphonic, Beathawk and SampleTank. Synthjacker can create SFZ instruments that Lyra should be able to use (I haven't tested it but it should work in theory), you can even create velocity layers.

• Hi there, if you have fl studio, or know someone who has it, the last version, it has an option to create direct wave instruments from vst an audio units , the fun part is that you can also choose to save the samples (note by note, velocity and the robin thing).once that’s done, get AudioLayer from Virsyn, import the samples onto different layers and do some editing, this way you can use you presets in other iOS daws

• edited February 2020

I've just done a test at my end, creating a Lyra instrument from Ravenscroft 275 and it works extremely well.

Here are the steps:

1) Buy the Synthjacker app for $7.99

2) Open Synthjacker and create a new template, name it "Lyra" and set the source to be "Imported Recording"

3) Set the parameters of the instrument, for example how many velocity layers you want, the note range, and the separation in semitones between each sample. For my test I set 3 velocity layers (60, 80, 120), from C2 to C5 with 3 semitones between samples. I also set a note length of 5 seconds, with a decay of 3 seconds and a gap of half a second.

4) Gently swipe on the template name in the left-hand column (be careful here to not accidentally delete the template, it's easy to do!) and select the option to generate a MIDI file.

5) Use the Files app to copy the generated MIDI file from the Synthjacker MIDI folder into the Auria root folder and quit Synthjacker

6) Launch Auria Pro, create a new project, set the BPM to 60 (this is important!), and import the MIDI file

7) In the timeline make sure the MIDI file is fully expanded, you may need to do this manually by selecting the MIDI region and long-tapping on the arrow at the right-hand of the box to expand the region.

8) Set the instrument of the track with the imported MIDI to whatever instrument you wish to sample, in my case it was Ravenscroft 275

9) Perform a mixdown of the project - set the bit length and stereo or mono as desired (in my case I used 16bit and mono, because I didn't need stereo samples)

10) Use the Files app to copy the mixdown from Auria into the Synthjacker Audio folder

11) Open Synthjacker again, and select the template you created earlier, then load the audio file you mixed down from Auria

12) Tap the cog icon and set the output to be WAV, and set the folder structure (velocity works best IMO, Flat is no good because it puts the SFZ file in the same folder as the samples)

13) In the cog menu set any other options that seem suitable, such as trimming start and end silence etc

14) Tap the record button and Synthjacker will create the instrument

15) In the Files app locate the folder of the newly created instrument inside the Synthjacker folder, and rename (for example: Ravenscroft piano)

16) Using the Files app move the folder into the "Sampler Instruments" folder inside the Auria Pro app folder

17) Launch Auria, create a new MIDI track, open Lyra and you should be able to set it to your newly created SFZ instrument

The beauty of this workflow is that once you have set up the Synthjacker template you can reuse it for as many instruments as you want, and the same goes for the Auria project: just change the instrument and do a new mixdown. Once it's set up you can sample many instruments very quickly.

My quick test sampling of the Ravenscroft piano sounds great, I really just did it for the purposes of this post but I'm actually going to keep it as a lightweight piano to use inside Auria.

• @richardyot

Does it do key switching???

• @Gravitas said:
    @richardyot

Sorry, no idea - maybe ask on the Auria forum.

• @richardyot said:

@Gravitas said:
    @richardyot

Does synthjacker do key switching?

I'll also ask on the Auria forum for Lyra as well.

Thank you.

• @richardyot said:
    I've just done a test at my end, creating a Lyra instrument from Ravenscroft 275 and it works extremely well.

Here are the steps:

1) Buy the Synthjacker app for $7.99

2) Open Synthjacker and create a new template, name it "Lyra" and set the source to be "Imported Recording"

3) Set the parameters of the instrument, for example how many velocity layers you want, the note range, and the separation in semitones between each sample. For my test I set 3 velocity layers (60, 80, 120), from C2 to C5 with 3 semitones between samples. I also set a note length of 5 seconds, with a decay of 3 seconds and a gap of half a second.

4) Gently swipe on the template name in the left-hand column (be careful here to not accidentally delete the template, it's easy to do!) and select the option to generate a MIDI file.

5) Use the Files app to copy the generated MIDI file from the Synthjacker MIDI folder into the Auria root folder and quit Synthjacker

6) Launch Auria Pro, create a new project, set the BPM to 60 (this is important!), and import the MIDI file

7) In the timeline make sure the MIDI file is fully expanded, you may need to do this manually by selecting the MIDI region and long-tapping on the arrow at the right-hand of the box to expand the region.

8) Set the instrument of the track with the imported MIDI to whatever instrument you wish to sample, in my case it was Ravenscroft 275

9) Perform a mixdown of the project - set the bit length and stereo or mono as desired (in my case I used 16bit and mono, because I didn't need stereo samples)

10) Use the Files app to copy the mixdown from Auria into the Synthjacker Audio folder

11) Open Synthjacker again, and select the template you created earlier, then load the audio file you mixed down from Auria

12) Tap the cog icon and set the output to be WAV, and set the folder structure (velocity works best IMO, Flat is no good because it puts the SFZ file in the same folder as the samples)

13) In the cog menu set any other options that seem suitable, such as trimming start and end silence etc

14) Tap the record button and Synthjacker will create the instrument

15) In the Files app locate the folder of the newly created instrument inside the Synthjacker folder, and rename (for example: Ravenscroft piano)

16) Using the Files app move the folder into the "Sampler Instruments" folder inside the Auria Pro app folder

17) Launch Auria, create a new MIDI track, open Lyra and you should be able to set it to your newly created SFZ instrument

The beauty of this workflow is that once you have set up the Synthjacker template you can reuse it for as many instruments as you want, and the same goes for the Auria project: just change the instrument and do a new mixdown. Once it's set up you can sample many instruments very quickly.

My quick test sampling of the Ravenscroft piano sounds great, I really just did it for the purposes of this post but I'm actually going to keep it as a lightweight piano to use inside Auria.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to test this out, will certainly give it a try.

• edited February 2020

@Gravitas said:

@richardyot said:

@Gravitas said:
    @richardyot

Thank you.

I just answered on the Auria forum, but I’m doing it also here just in case anyone is interested.
    If by “key switching” you mean using specific keys to change sound articulations (i.e. sustained cello vs pizzicato) then no, Lyra does not support it.

• @richardyot
    Thank you for the detailed instructions on synthjacker and

@Rodolfo
    Exactly that.
    I got used to using articulation in Kontakt.
    Your answer has saved me a lot of hassle.

Thank you.

• @Gravitas said:

@richardyot said:

@Gravitas said:
    @richardyot

Thank you.

Any idea how to join the Auria forum?

I have tried to register on it twice now, and it just said my account was waiting for authorisation, but I never heard anything back. Tried emailing their admin too, but still no answer.

• edited February 2020

@Andy6527

Email them again.
    That's how I got on to the AP's forum.

Have you registered via the app
    itself with the same email???

Edit.

I had to wait for ages.