Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Borderlands Granular Update | 2020 Starts Strong | haQ attaQ

🔥🤯😮 Borderlands Granular is without a doubt one of the most loved iOS Music Apps out there and it just received a proper upgrade. Apart from having a look at all of the new features in the new update, we’ll also be hearing from Chris Carlson himself, the guy who created this Granular Synth beast. Join me and discover how Chris has improved on an already brilliant Granular synth concept!

haQattaQ

Comments

• Quality update, quality video about it.

I wished for this on your YT channel recently, what a treat to start 2020 off.

• Great interview. This video must have taken quite some time and effort to make. Thanks!

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Quality update, quality video about it.

I wished for this on your YT channel recently, what a treat to start 2020 off.

Thank you! And Yeah its an absolutely AWESOME start to the year. :smiley:

• @bleep said:
    Great interview. This video must have taken quite some time and effort to make. Thanks!

Thank you! Yeah it took over a month to make and It’s why I didn’t post anything on my channel for so long. Feels good to finally publish it and I’m happy that the BG update is finally live so that everyone else can dive into it. Chris has done an amazing job with it.

• Thank for this video @jakoB_haQ.

Only top quality from You.

Now I’m going enjoying this sweet update.

So much synths to play, so little time nowadays 😂

• Have to give you a lot of credit and thanks for helping the transition to iOS noise making. I doubt I would be where I am now musically without all your hard work. Here’s to you @jakoB_haQ 🍻

• Huge update and great docutorial. Thanks Chris and Jakob.
    While watching the automation part I was kinda wondering if automation start/stop can be tempo - Link - synced, but this last bit about separate control over automation speed just put a big smile on my face. 👏👏👏
    I'm hopeful that by the time AU/phone version gets ready Apple won't come up with another standard, with other 5-10 phone sizes to support.

• Awesome.

“I am not a pro iOS developer...” 😂

• Wow, I wouldn’t have known there was an update if it weren’t for this video, it wasn’t showing up in my list of available updates , hmmmmm...I wonder if I’m missing out on other updates???????? Anyway great to see this , about to dive in right now

• @Strizbiz said:
    Wow, I wouldn’t have known there was an update if it weren’t for this video, it wasn’t showing up in my list of available updates , hmmmmm...I wonder if I’m missing out on other updates???????? Anyway great to see this , about to dive in right now

The AppStore has been buggy since iOS 12. Sometimes it won’t Refresh properly.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Thank for this video @jakoB_haQ.

Only top quality from You.

Now I’m going enjoying this sweet update.

So much synths to play, so little time nowadays 😂

@iOSTRAKON said:
    Have to give you a lot of credit and thanks for helping the transition to iOS noise making. I doubt I would be where I am now musically without all your hard work. Here’s to you @jakoB_haQ 🍻

Thank you guys for the love! :blush:

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Huge update and great docutorial. Thanks Chris and Jakob.
    While watching the automation part I was kinda wondering if automation start/stop can be tempo - Link - synced, but this last bit about separate control over automation speed just put a big smile on my face. 👏👏👏
    I'm hopeful that by the time AU/phone version gets ready Apple won't come up with another standard, with other 5-10 phone sizes to support.

Thank you!

To answer yo ur question, No, the automation start/stop cannot be synced to link.

• Fantastic video. I appreciate all the hard work you obviously put into it!

• I love these Docutorials! I think this is your best yet.. really great work Jakob!
    Hearing from the developer in between demoing the app is.. as it should be.. it's behind-the-scenes goodness.. that is, when you ask interesting questions.. which of course you do Jakob..

The work involved to see this final product must be staggering.. and to do it all on iOS is.. amazing.. it is greatly appreciated Jakob.. these Docutorials standout.. in a very good way.. excellent concept + execution..

Chris seems like an endlessly curious person.. Lucky for us he chose the path that he did.. I love his attitude about letting the user figure out the app on their own.. just give absolute minimum info on what the buttons are capable of and.. you’re off.. I would compare that to writing lyrics for a song, recording them and then NOT interpreting them for the listener.. let them figure out their own version.. hey, don't even print the lyrics.. ANYWHERE..

Chris’ description of Granular Synthesis as a sonic microscope is awesome..

“Using the grain clouds to zero in on little interstitial moments that are kind of embedded in between transients in these audio files that you’re playing with.. being able to zoom in on something and then sustain it infinitely is something that really excites me.. so, finding sounds within sounds.”

Such a cool app.. it’s a must have and one of the classics of iOS music creation.. 👍
    Thanks again to you + Chris for a great demo + interview..

• Is it possible to import from the files app, or in the files app, open in... Borderlands? I only seem to be able to add files from Audioshare or Dropbox?

• edited June 2020

@royor said:

Chris seems like an endlessly curious person.. Lucky for us he chose the path that he did.. I love his attitude about letting the user figure out the app on their own.. just give absolute minimum info on what the buttons are capable of and..

I find the lack of documentation to be a time-waster. There are some things where you grow by figuring them out yourself, such as learning a tune by ear. But learning app features by experimenting doesn’t foster growth in any way. It just wastes my time when I have to try a bunch of shit just to accomplish something basic that I should be able to look up in a manual. Very often I give up and stop using the app when that happens.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@royor said:

Chris seems like an endlessly curious person.. Lucky for us he chose the path that he did.. I love his attitude about letting the user figure out the app on their own.. just give absolute minimum info on what the buttons are capable of and..

I find the lack of documentation to be a time-waster. There are some things where you grow by figuring them out yourself, such as learning a tune by ear. But learning app features by experimenting doesn’t foster growth in any way. It just wastes my time when I have to try a bunch of shit just to accomplish something basic that I should be able to look up in a manual. Very often I give up and stop using the app when that happens.

Hmm, I still find borderlands fascinating. A pity there is so long between updates.

A manual would be good but it’s a very “physical” app in that you learn by gestures.

Still I would love a way to import files from the files app instead of (or also from) AudioShare.

• Borderlands is one of a kind - an awesome creative beast that can only reside on IOS.
    I love that I need to discover stuff within it - and I can't say that about many apps.
    Its a total stand out gem :)

• @Mayo said:
    Borderlands is one of a kind - an awesome creative beast that can only reside on IOS.
    I love that I need to discover stuff within it - and I can't say that about many apps.
    Its a total stand out gem :)

yes

Same here.

Sooner or later a decent manual is an absolute must for getting the best out of things. It's all very well to tinker around and figure it out, but inevitably key features or behaviours are not discovered this way, and the user experience is diminished, when knowing how things work would make for a much more fruitful and creative experience, especially for apps costing $18!!

Apps with decent manuals e.g. SugarBytes, have inevitably ended up being used more and been a lot more enjoyable than those where I've given up in frustration because I can't figure out how to do something or if it's even possible.

• Same here.

Sooner or later a decent manual is an absolute must for getting the best out of things. It's all very well to tinker around and figure it out, but inevitably key features or behaviours are not discovered this way, and the user experience is diminished, when knowing how things work would make for a much more fruitful and creative experience, especially for apps costing $18!!

Apps with decent manuals e.g. SugarBytes, have inevitably ended up being used more and been a lot more enjoyable than those where I've given up in frustration because I can't figure out how to do something or if it's even possible.

I agree, and this is not about Borderland alone (which I love). A good manual covering the developer's intention is necessary, no matter how the developer think the UI is completely transparent to everyone. There will always be idiots like me who need a manual. Nothing prevents a user from discovering other things the app can do that the developer might not even intend. And of course, if one likes to discover things by oneself (and I understand that some people do learn better this way), just don't read the manual :-) But I'm off-topic again...

• @despego said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@royor said:

Hmm, I still find borderlands fascinating. A pity there is so long between updates.

A manual would be good but it’s a very “physical” app in that you learn by gestures.

Still I would love a way to import files from the files app instead of (or also from) AudioShare.

That’s a great example. Without a manual, you don’t easily realize such a thing is impossible, and potentially waste time monkey clicking to see if you can make it happen.

@despego said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@royor said:

That’s a great example. Without a manual, you don’t easily realize such a thing is impossible, and potentially waste time monkey clicking to see if you can make it happen.

Agree.
    Regular updates to keep up with times would also be great. I’ve asked the developer so I may get an answer soon.

• edited October 2021

Borderlands Granular is on sale! http://sliced.me/b2zp