Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Borderlands 2.1 Update Out !

Comments

• Does the automation sync?

• I did an experiment with Borderlands as an effect in AUM. I had to start BL before AUM otherwise it will crash in the effect slot in my case. Tried out different audiofiles as source.

• edited February 2020

I’m on the point of buying it but what’s making me hesitate is that there appear to have been no maintenance/bug fix updates following the two previous major releases ... £17.99 isn’t a trivial purchase and it feels a bit of a risk esp as I’d be using it via IAA in AUM. Hmmm...

• @craftycurate said:
    I’m on the point of buying it but what’s making me hesitate is that there appear to have been no maintenance/bug fix updates following the two previous major releases ... £17.99 isn’t a trivial purchase and it feels a bit of a risk esp as I’d be using it via IAA in AUM. Hmmm...

I’d say that it is one of the apps truly made for a touch surface. Borderlands, Samplr, Poly 2, some others. When I want to show someone why iPads are a viable, professional tool, these are the apps I open.

I seem to be in the minority here as not being overly bothered by IAA so ymmv of course.

• @bleep said:
    Some of the new features showcased by an ambient improv with audio in was quite nice:

this!!! so dope

• edited February 2020

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@craftycurate said:

I’d say that it is one of the apps truly made for a touch surface. Borderlands, Samplr, Poly 2, some others. When I want to show someone why iPads are a viable, professional tool, these are the apps I open.

I seem to be in the minority here as not being overly bothered by IAA so ymmv of course.

I’m sure we’d all agree it’s the perfect example of an app designed for a multi-touch environment.

However, this has nothing really to do with my post, which was about taking a financial risk on a £17.99 app in the hope that it will be updated soon after with any bug fixes, especially since IAA tends to expose performance issues that may not appear in standalone mode, since inter-app connectivity is important to many users.

• @craftycurate said:

@craftycurate said:

I’m sure we’d all agree it’s the perfect example of an app designed for a multi-touch environment.

However, this has nothing really to do with my post, which was about taking a financial risk on a £17.99 app in the hope that it will be updated soon after with any bug fixes, especially since IAA tends to expose performance issues that may not appear in standalone mode, since inter-app connectivity is important to many users.

The man who fears suffering already suffers what he fears. Michel de Montaigne

• @craftycurate said:

@craftycurate said:

No argument here. As I said, your mileage may vary. 🙂

• @craftycurate said:

Jakob Haq's video about this update has an interview with the creator, where they talk about it not being an AU, and also the slow release schedule. It's a great video. Worth watching if you're interested in the app.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@craftycurate said:

@craftycurate said:

“The wise are cautious and avoid danger;
    fools plunge ahead with reckless confidence.”
    (The Proverbs of King Solomon) 🤪

• Right on captain ☝️🙏

@craftycurate said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@craftycurate said:

@craftycurate said:

“The wise are cautious and avoid danger;
    fools plunge ahead with reckless confidence.”
    (The Proverbs of King Solomon) 🤪

• Very True.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@craftycurate said:

@craftycurate said:

• I don’t understand why, in the interview, the developer talks about the letterbox size restriction of AU? My understanding is that there is no such restriction? AUs can be an all screen floating window.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@gusgranite said:
    I don’t understand why, in the interview, the developer talks about the letterbox size restriction of AU? My understanding is that there is no such restriction? AUs can be an all screen floating window.

That’s not what he said. He never mentioned letterbox size and he never said it could only run in a smaller size. What he said is he has to look into how to deal with different window sizes both for the phone and for AU windows. He’s right. While there are no restrictions in most hosts to a full size window, he can’t force full size either. Any AU app has to work out what to do about the fact that there can be variable window sizes.

He started off saying he wasn’t sure how to deal with that (and therefore how long it might take, if at all), but his last words were also that there has to be a way.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@craftycurate said:

I’m not aware of any important bugs that went unaddressed after either of those releases. If that’s true then no bug fix releases is evidence of a solid app, not a poorly maintained one.

That said, this is clearly a slow mover. So if you wouldn’t be satisfied if it never had another feature update then yes, you should skip it. Likewise if you know about bugs that never got fixed.

• edited February 2020

@Identor said:
    I did an experiment with Borderlands as an effect in AUM. I had to start BL before AUM otherwise it will crash in the effect slot in my case. Tried out different audiofiles as source.

Thanks,
    It completely skipped me to try in AUM as an fx.
    I can use it in AUM without crash
    Edit: wow... even set delay compensation

• One more...

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:
    I don’t understand why, in the interview, the developer talks about the letterbox size restriction of AU? My understanding is that there is no such restriction? AUs can be an all screen floating window.

That’s not what he said. He never mentioned letterbox size and he never said it could only run in a smaller size. What he said is he has to look into how to deal with different window sizes both for the phone and for AU windows. He’s right. While there are no restrictions in most hosts to a full size window, he can’t force full size either. Any AU app has to work out what to do about the fact that there can be variable window sizes.

He started off saying he wasn’t sure how to deal with that (and therefore how long it might take, if at all), but his last words were also that there has to be a way.

Is there a simple button to go to full screen on AUs somewhere? Have I been very dumb all this time? I always stretch the window manually, which is quite annoying!

• edited February 2020

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Is there a simple button to go to full screen on AUs somewhere? Have I been very dumb all this time? I always stretch the window manually, which is quite annoying!

Double tap the top of the window (bar) of the auv3 double tap to go back to half screen

• @cuezaireekaa said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Double tap the top of the window (bar) of the auv3

Kill me now. :D Thanks!

• Anyone else’s default sounds vanish?
    Gonna dl them again here

• Bought v1.0 back in 2012. How time flies... 😳

About time for a cup of kofi.

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:

Right. I misunderstood. Thank you.

• @rthr : good tip! kofi bought for Mr Borderlands to say thanks for the great update to one of my all time fave apps after all these years :)

• edited February 2020

Great update. Makes it much more capable in using with desktop now too. Ideal as an AU when it happens since there's no need for the play area to be any particular shape, so look forward to that. Midi in would be a nice addition down the line too. :)

Essential app for sound design.

Sync start stop would be nice too though :)

• Can anyone confirm that panning is backward?

• @anickt said:
    Can anyone confirm that panning is backward?

yes it is :)

• @Carnbot said:

@anickt said:
    Can anyone confirm that panning is backward?

yes it is :)

I'll let him know. Thanks!

• @AudioGus said:
    Really loving the update.

PS. Could be cool to have grid snapping so that the playback snaps to the closest grid line.

This would certainly be cool, but to work there would have to be musical knowledge of the file loaded. E.g. "this sample is 24 beats long" or "this sample is at 124 BPM and since the sample is 3.87 seconds long, that's 2 measures". Not saying it couldn't be done, but it would require some additional interface elements and user knowledge (or very sophisticated analysis).

What would be, hopefully, easy to do would be to sync the incoming record time to the BPM. Currently you specify record length in seconds, if that could be measures that would great.

Couple that with the ability to set defined lengths for automation recording and you could get very sophisticated rhythmic things going....