Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Flotation Mutations - 25 Ambient presets for NS2 Obsidian - updated with smaller file size

Warning: this is a large (1.3Gb) download.

This pack contains evolving pads, ethereal plucks, and other dreamy and textural elements. Many of the patches are sample-based (hence the large file size). I really wanted to push the sample-mangling capabilities of Obsidian to create interesting patches that move and evolve. Obsidian is the best sampling synthesizer on the platform by far, it's capable of some very cool and interesting sounds.

Download the pack here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qmecbqjw51c5y35/Flotation Mutations.zip?dl=0

Also, you can download the optional (older) Soprano patches that are demoed later in the video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tng71gshpi2xa0/Soprano patches.zip?dl=0

And the sound FX patches here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rlf084kyojjqq2f/Obsidian patches - FX.zip?dl=0

To install the patches download them to your iPad and then in the Files app (or alternatively in Audioshare) long-press on the zip file and from the Share menu use Open In to send the files to Nanostudio 2

To listen to the patches watch the demo video:

Comments

• Crrraaaazzzzyyy!
    Thank you very much!!

• hey you’re the man!! thank ya bro

• edited January 2020

Cool thanks ! Would be nice to add them to Patchstorage ... https://patchstorage.com/platform/nanostudio/

• Thank you very much @richardyot! Much appreciated, Cheers.

• @dendy said:
    Cool thanks ! Would be nice to add them to Patchstorage ... https://patchstorage.com/platform/nanostudio/

Isn't there a size limit?

• Ah good point, no idea but yeah, uploading 2.2GB through browser may be probably a little bit overkill :)

• Thank you, I am looking forward to playing this weekend.

• @richardyot Wow. Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing these with us sir. 👊🏼💕 can’t wait to give them a whirl. 😬

• Silly, uninformed question. What makes 25 obsidian presets 2GB?

• if i can ever get them to load LOL how is everyone else doing this?

• Thank you for these @richardyot - they sound awesome! Gives this here amateur chance to deconstruct and learn. Very kind of you.

• @inakarmacoma said:
    Silly, uninformed question. What makes 25 obsidian presets 2GB?

Lots of samples.

• @richardyot said:

@inakarmacoma said:
    Silly, uninformed question. What makes 25 obsidian presets 2GB?

Lots of samples.

And I would guess length of samples. Anytime I hear the word ‘evolving’ I think, long samples.

Thanks for these @richardyot can’t wait to check them out!

• I’m having trouble importing these.

I’ve imported loads of Obsidian patches before (many of the @richardyot ‘s!) and not had this issue.

When I do Open in... it flicks over to NS2 but I get a message about downloading the presets in the background and am told an alert will be shown when it’s finished.

I’m not sure what this is doing because they are already downloaded but I never get an alert and the presets never appear. I’ve tried twice now.

Any ideas..?

• @qryss said:
    I’m having trouble importing these.

I’ve imported loads of Obsidian patches before (many of the @richardyot ‘s!) and not had this issue.

When I do Open in... it flicks over to NS2 but I get a message about downloading the presets in the background and am told an alert will be shown when it’s finished.

I’m not sure what this is doing because they are already downloaded but I never get an alert and the presets never appear. I’ve tried twice now.

Any ideas..?

this is happenin to me too.

• @Gaia.Tree said:

@qryss said:
    I’m having trouble importing these.

Any ideas..?

this is happenin to me too.

Good. Because me too :) I don't even get to '.... it flicks over to NS2....' :) BUT I WILL!

• Same here. I opened the downloaded zip and then zipped each preset folder individually. Those loaded fine. I don’t think NS2 takes a zip full of multiple different presets.

• Thanks for the patches. You can create a txt file and put a download link in that txt. Then you can upload that txt file to the patchstorage. :)

• Same here - had to manually unzip and move over to NS2 folder!

• Is there a way to download it without having to save it to my already full dropbox?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Is there a way to download it without having to save it to my already full dropbox?

Just choose the option to direct download.

• I have only two choices; save to my dropbox or export. I selected export and when it reached a 100% it froze.

• @anickt said:
    Same here. I opened the downloaded zip and then zipped each preset folder individually. Those loaded fine. I don’t think NS2 takes a zip full of multiple different presets.

Actually it does, but this pack might be too big for NS2 to handle. Has anyone got it to install from the main zip?

• edited February 2020

@anickt said:
    I don’t think NS2 takes a zip full of multiple different presets.

normally it does - you can zip together Obsidian patches, Slate banks, wav files, projects - NS puts all files to proper directories after unzipping.

I think here is issue probably the size of file. I downloaded it and saved to Files app - in files app i moved it to - On My iPad > Nanostudio 2 > Instruments > Obsidian > User ... unpacked..

Then in NS patch browser Manage > Refresh database. Quit NS and runnit again - done. It works.

• edited February 2020

@richardyot said:

@anickt said:
    Same here. I opened the downloaded zip and then zipped each preset folder individually. Those loaded fine. I don’t think NS2 takes a zip full of multiple different presets.

Actually it does, but this pack might be too big for NS2 to handle. Has anyone got it to install from the main zip?

I've just dithered all samples in your pack down to 16bit without audibly compromising the sound quality, that brought the main pack size from 3.8 GB down to 1.9 GB (zipped: 1.57 GB) and I'll also check if they import well in NS2 on a different iPad.
    Even more could be done regarding trimming and widening the stereo image but I guess the 16bit conversion makes the biggest difference, also regarding memory usage of patches because Obsidian loads all samples of a patch into memory completely.
    I'll get back to you soon.

PS: These are fantastic patches 👍🏼

• @rs2000 said:

@richardyot said:

@anickt said:

I've just dithered all samples in your pack down to 16bit without audibly compromising the sound quality, that brought the main pack size from 3.8 GB down to 1.9 GB (zipped: 1.57 GB) and I'll also check if they import well in NS2 on a different iPad.
    Even more could be done regarding trimming and widening the stereo image but I guess the 16bit conversion makes the biggest difference, also regarding memory usage of patches because Obsidian loads all samples of a patch into memory completely.
    I'll get back to you soon.

PS: These are fantastic patches 👍🏼

Nice work! If you can share your results back with me I'll update my links.

• also from what i checked most patches are using just single filter in parallel mode, so they are effectively played mono - by converting samples from stereo to mono you save half of file size ;)

• The Auditor app is awesome for preparing samples for NS2 or anything else for that matter. So often I’ve seen samples that need to be normalized, trimmed, converted, DC offset removed etc. This app will batch process all of those things.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/auditor-audio-editor/id1248284381>; @dendy said:

also from what i checked most patches are using just single filter in parallel mode, so they are effectively played mono - by converting samples from stereo to mono you save half of file size ;)

• @dendy said:
    also from what i checked most patches are using just single filter in parallel mode, so they are effectively played mono - by converting samples from stereo to mono you save half of file size ;)

If the sample itself is stereo then I'd prefer to keep it so and rather tweak the program(s).
    Some samples have only little stereo width but sound quite cool when widened, so I'm not yet sure what else to touch.

• yes if there is stereo touch in samples, them it makes sense to switch filter from dual/paralell mode to "stereo"