Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which do you enjoy more... Recording or Playing ?

Here on the AB forum.
I think the interests of members tend fall onto a general continuum....

1) At one end of the continuum are those who's primary interest is recording music.

2) At the other end of the continuum are those who's primary interest is making and playing sounds.

Of course People can fall anywhere on this continuum between recording and playing.

But I'd say the playing group could be perfectly happy just playing with sounds and never recording anything.

And the recording group will be happiness when recording songs with the sounds that they play.

I'm much more into making sounds and playing them than I am recording anything.

Where might you place yourself on this spectrum. Are you primarily a recorder, or a player, or both?

Comments

• 90% player, 10% recorder

• Both. But mainly a recorder. I can't just enjoy playing as a pastime, I need an end result in form of a track I enjoy listening to, to be satisfied.
    It's different when I practice guitar or piano

• Composing a musical piece on your own is magic. Recording it and presenting that as a product is like a film director releasing a movie or a painter releasing a paint. It is art and creation. That should be enough.

Of course playing with some other fellows musicians is entertaining ... until everybody start to lose focus on the song and start to focus on their owns.

I have been in rock bands all of my life. You are very lucky if you find committed musicians to join.... very lucky indeed.

• I enjoy playing (particularly with a band, or jamming with others) and recording (or at least editing and working on the audio) equally.

What I least like is playing something that's being recorded. That's the stressful bit.

• 90% recording 10% playing.

• Experimenting with sounds to record

• Playing by far

• If it’s not a finished track that I can add to my archives, it doesn’t count. But it is fun playing around to stay in shape for the recording.

• i prefer to finish tracks / record ... but i rarely do.
    mostly i just end up jamming and playing with all these awesome apps.
    i struggle to move from one part to the next mostly because if i start a jam in AUM there’s no clear way to just move on
    i’ve been trying to use aum for ideas cuz its the best place to jam and start imo... then try to take those set ups over to ns2 where i feel like i can sequence ideas better.. i prefer to work in clips as i’ve used ableton for most of my life, since ableton 3... but no longer as i don’t get on my mac ever these days...
    the equivalent would be stagelight or whatever it’s called now... but it has problems as you can’t use midi fx in it so ... it’s too much scrambling around between apps to finish anything ...

the best thing to happen imo would be for aum or ab to have a sequencer or let you create clips but that’s unlikely to ever happen so i’m putting my faith in ns2 to eventually be the all in one place to jam, sequence, record

so the short answer, i prefer to jam cuz its much easier but want to record and finish tracks lol

• edited January 2020

I’m terrible at playing all instruments so I don’t play or record anything but I can step sequence fart noises into a decent beat.

• edited January 2020

Record/Write.

• I prefer playing over recording. The thing that gets me off the most is that moment when the world falls away and 100% of my attention becomes the music. I find that more often playing than recording, but my struggle has always been finding the musicians to do it with.

So yeah, I'm 70/30 playing over recording. Lately I end up recording more as that's something I have more direct control over.

• edited January 2020

Lately, I find myself most interested in the idea of discovering ways to combine the outputs from different synths, in different creative ways, including selective use of effects, to create immensely complex types of sounds.

Once I get a sound adjusted just so. I can spend an hour or more just jamming with it.

Ultimately, playing complex spacious synth sounds is my way of relaxing and un-stressing.

• Writing – the knob twiddling synthesis so that I can make the music so that I can write the lyrics.

I must try writing the lyrics first, but I’m afraid I won’t bother with the music that way.

• I am Preset Man.