Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free apps: why and how? (Morning reflections after breakfast)

Hello,
I wonder: what drives a dev to give a paid app for free even if for short periods? Is it just a commercial move, which will bring a future profit (even if I don't understand how) or is a forced choice that denotes an huge shortage of sales?

I don't know about you, but every time an app becomes free, after a moment of contentment (if I don't already own it) a sense of bitterness takes over.
I'm sorry that a dev is forced to offer his work for free which he had planned to sell (often at a very low price). I'm sorry for him / her and for the music market on iOS, also because there are peaks in downoloads on the days when the app is free, of course, and this is a bit of a mockery for the dev.

I know, it is normal that it is so, but it must be frustrating to have put energy and passion into a product and to see it considered only because it is free, so, from now on, I will download an app only if I really need it, for free or not. I don't know why, but I see it as a form of respect.
I would like to express solidarity to all those devs who find themselves in this situation.
Cheers guys, all the best wishes and good luck.

Comments

• Free offers can help spread the word about an app. Making an app free for some time will also make it appear in one of the many iOS app price monitoring sites and apps, which is something like advertisements for free.
    From time to time I got to know apps this way that I've never seen before.
    Offering an app for free can also simply be a present to an iOS community.
    Developers are as different as users are. Some wouldn't even consider doing price drops and sometimes they're excluding a noteworthy number of potential buyers who would buy the app at a lower price.

• edited January 2020

If you charge for an app then you are expected to support it to a certain degree. If you put an app out for free, then you wouldn't (shouldn't) feel obliged to keep it updated.

Also consider that many (most?) indie devs come from a computer science background, not from a musician background. There is a long and proud tradition of offering your code as open source, free to use.

Edit: upon careful reading, perhaps you were only concerned with those apps that are offered as free for brief periods.