Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommendation on drawing, painting apps.

Hey everyone,
Do any of you use painting apps?
I am looking to paint abstract art and wondered what the best apps are?
I like the look of procreate but you need ios 13 and I dont want to update from 12 incase it screws with my music apps!
Any suggestions?

Comments

• I came here to recommend Procreate. It's seriously worth considering, especially if you have an Apple Pencil. Seriously impressive.

• edited January 2020

Procreate is indeed excellent and has been well supported over many years ago is a great choice, not sure if you'd be able to download an older version with an older OS?

Art rage used to be the king but it's better on desktop to be honest. One that I really like (and is free to try £10 for the whole lot) it's art set 4 - really good natural Maria painting with little fuss or overhead. In a similar way too users here, I've got too many art apps (I'm an animator) but those three are ones that I return to again and again.

• Artrage has some nice simulation of real paint. Best used with the more powerful iPad though.

• edited January 2020

Procreate with Apple Pencil. Check more recent vids on YouTube.

• @Small_paul1976 said:
    Hey everyone,
    Do any of you use painting apps?
    I am looking to paint abstract art and wondered what the best apps are?
    I like the look of procreate but you need ios 13 and I dont want to update from 12 incase it screws with my music apps!
    Any suggestions?

Procreate is the best app I've used - however, as you say it's 13 only now. My iPad is on 12, and I'm not updating as I'm not happy with the changes 13's made to my iPhone. Text editing is an absolute pain in the arse.

The older version of Procreate runs brilliantly on it though.

Affinity Photo might be worth a look, that has quite a few brushes, so could be used as a paint tool.

• Definitely check the art set one out, I’ve used pretty much all of them and that one just feels nice, especially with the pencil...

• @MonzoPro said:
    I'm not happy with the changes 13's made to my iPhone. Text editing is an absolute pain in the arse.

Tap and hold the spacebar, that is the secret. Prior to knowing that one trick I was slowly going insane.

• edited January 2020

@richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I'm not happy with the changes 13's made to my iPhone. Text editing is an absolute pain in the arse.

Tap and hold the spacebar, that is the secret. Prior to knowing that one trick I was slowly going insane.

Ahhhh......someone recommended doing that before, but I was doing it wrong - holding the spacebar and then moving the cursor with my finger. From your suggestion it clicked that I don't need to do the second bit, and can navigate via the spacebar.

That works, thanks Richard!

That sorts the phone madness out, still not sure about updating the iPad though, read a lot of disconcerting comments about performance on older devices, though I would like the Procreate update.

• @MonzoPro said:

@richardyot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Ahhhh......someone recommended doing that before, but I was doing it wrong - holding the spacebar and then moving the cursor with my finger. From your suggestion it clicked that I don't need to do the second bit, and can navigate via the spacebar.

That works, thanks Richard!

That sorts the phone madness out, still not sure about updating the iPad though, read a lot of disconcerting comments about performance on older devices, though I would like the Procreate update.

Can't comment on older devices, but for me iOS13 is all good, better than 12 IMO.

• Artstudio Pro / medibang paint are quite good too!

• edited January 2020

my advice (after 5+ years of iPad drawing/painting/fingering around) is like this:
    try the free ones first!

Autodesk Sketchbook is FREE and you won't even need procreate after a while:)
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/autodesk-sketchbook/id883738213

PaintHack and 2D - Paint, Draw, Sketch, Collage are FREE and FAB!
    https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/paul-webb/id806200279

Adobe Fresco is FREE if you dont want to save PSD/PDF etc! and lotsa fun
    for real life brushes.

Brushes Redux is FREE and sturdy.

Artstudio Pro is not free but its almost Photoshop on iPad!
    it can also import photoshop brushes.

MetaBrush is not free but very cheap and best app for experimenting with brushes
    that I've found on iOS!

Deco Sketch is cheap and great for abstract art/shapes/generative.

OmniSketch is cheap and fun.

iColorama is another playground/lab for image processing in weird/creative ways.

Infinite Painter is very very very cool but still has some bugs...
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/infinite-painter/id1146543227

• Wow, thank you all for the recommendations!
    I will check out everyone’s suggestions.
    Thanks guys :)

• Not to plug my own work but I also do a lot of illustration as a part time gig (poster work, album covers, etc). I also do, what I guess you would call fine art with it. My point is I really think Procreate is worth the upgrade to 13. I have linked one of the pages of my website below for some examples. All but one of those were done in Procreate.

https://www.thesanmateo.com/sanmateoart

• Just grabbed Procreate to play with my pencil.

• @McD said:
    Just grabbed Procreate to play with my pencil.

I see what you did there :D

• SanMateo, them pics are superb!
    Thanks for sharing :)

• Yeah that's really nice work @SanMateo

• Definitely ProCreate. Hands down the most user-friendly GUI, really great brushes, no brush lagging (unless older devices have that problem?), and works superbly well with the Apple Pencil. :)

• I'm the world's worst artist (seriously, I can't even draw a person) but have always fancied having a try. Does Procreate have a grid drawing method or anything that makes it easier for complete novices to do something interesting? I've had art apps before but always give up because my efforts are so piss-poor.

• edited January 2020

@audio_DT said:
    I'm the world's worst artist (seriously, I can't even draw a person) but have always fancied having a try. Does Procreate have a grid drawing method or anything that makes it easier for complete novices to do something interesting? I've had art apps before but always give up because my efforts are so piss-poor.

The symmetry tools are good quick fun!

• @audio_DT in addition to the symmetry tool mentioned above it also has some great tools to draw perfect shapes and straight lines. Really helpful stuff.

• Also voting for those, in no particular order, as they differ enough to live side by side:

procreate
    Art Studio Pro
    Infinite Painter

• I would also include Afinty PHoto and designer, Tangledfx(second best photo to cartoon on iOS), paper, grafite( the best cartoon from photo app on iOS), and PaintCan, and Oilist., procreate and Fresco are fab too, but I wouldn’t waste your time with enlight suite.

• @AudioGus and @SanMateo Thanks, I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a go. I've looked at it for aaaages and thought, "I fancy a bit of that", but my artistry is second to all. But, hey, as long as it's fun, right? :)

• @audio_DT said:
    @AudioGus and @SanMateo Thanks, I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a go. I've looked at it for aaaages and thought, "I fancy a bit of that", but my artistry is second to all. But, hey, as long as it's fun, right? :)

Man, this thing is FAST, isn't it? Given that I'm about as artful as a brick I've decided to import a photo and am currently just tracing around it in the hopes of doing something vaguely artistic. It'll turn out to be cr** but I'm having fun, which is all that matters. Thanks for the heads-up, fellas.

• @audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:
    @AudioGus and @SanMateo Thanks, I'm going to bite the bullet and give it a go. I've looked at it for aaaages and thought, "I fancy a bit of that", but my artistry is second to all. But, hey, as long as it's fun, right? :)

Man, this thing is FAST, isn't it? Given that I'm about as artful as a brick I've decided to import a photo and am currently just tracing around it in the hopes of doing something vaguely artistic. It'll turn out to be cr** but I'm having fun, which is all that matters. Thanks for the heads-up, fellas.

Enjoy! Also, not mentioned Procreate now has an animation feature as well.

• @audio_DT said:

@audio_DT said:

Yah it is an amazing way to show off the ipad. So smooth!

• My list
    HeavyPaint
    Procreate
    iColorama
    Paintstorm
    Auryn Ink
    Decosketch

Filters
    Glaze
    Oilist
    MaxCurve <— super
    Color Thief