Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AU Parameter Change Recording - Question for Devs

Recently, there was a discussion (elsewhere) in which a developer of an audio and midi recording app explained why AU parameters can't be recorded in their app if an AUv3 isn't reporting touch start and stop information. Without the information, they said that they would have to be constantly recording the state of every parameter whether changed or not.

My question is this: is that true? Cubasis seems to do a pretty good job of recording AU parameter changes with its automation recording.

I was wondering if devs of AUv3 can share some insights. Are there OS calls that allow AU parameter changes to be detected if the AU doesn't share touch information?

@j_liljedahl @brambos

Comments

• edited January 2020

As far as I know this isn't true. None of my plugins report start/stop and their parameters are recorded nicely in most hosts.

I think the start/stop notification from the GUI is a bit of a hack. A plugin could technically change its parameters without requiring interaction with the GUI (e.g. Mozaic can do that).

The right way to do it is to install KVO (key-value-observers) on the Parameter Tree of the plugin, so the host will get notified when changes occur. No need to constantly record the state of every parameter.

• @brambos said:
    As far as I know this isn't true. None of my plugins report start/stop and their parameters are recorded nicely in most hosts.

I think the start/stop notification from the GUI is a bit of a hack. A plugin could technically change its parameters without requiring interaction with the GUI (e.g. Mozaic can do that).

The right way to do it is to install KVO (key-value-observers) on the Parameter Tree of the plugin, so the host will get notified when changes occur. No need to constantly record the state of every parameter.

Thanks, Bram!