Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BLEASS Alpha Synthesizer by BLEASS

Comments

• Love the interface of this app. Definitely designed for multitouch interactions. Is there a scale keyboard or did it miss it?

• Great synth.

Please add a random patch generator button.

Also, an option to smooth out the steps of the random LFO wave would be awesome.

• Working nicely in NS2. More AU parameters available than in mod destinations gives a lot more flexibility. Sounds great!

Would like to see double tap reset. @bleassapp

• @auxmux said:
    Love the interface of this app. Definitely designed for multitouch interactions. Is there a scale keyboard or did it miss it?

that would be cool but i don’t think it’s there

• Love it! Such a great sounding synth ... highly playful and intuitively to use!

Thanks for the great work!

• I wanted to listen to Devo but also play with the synth so I just did the best of both worlds and found a midi file for Gut Feeling and replaced all the instruments with the synth except for some drums. I just dialed stuff in for each instrument instead of using presets

• edited February 2020

Really digging this. Wish there was some sort of favorites/tagging options for the patches....(@bleassapp unless there is and I've missed it :)

• @anickt said:
    Working nicely in NS2. More AU parameters available than in mod destinations gives a lot more flexibility. Sounds great!

Would like to see double tap reset. @bleassapp

Yup. Also second the 'random button'. You know how it is @bleassapp: The more you satisfy our needs the more wants we will think of :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Really digging this. Wish there was some sort of favorites/tagging options for the patches....(@bleassapp unless there is and I've missed it :)

+1 for favorites !

• I spent a good 15 mins just messing around with the first preset!!
    Awesome.

• There seems to be a bug with it: set a slow amp and filter attack, and yet when playing consecutive notes there is still a fast attack when notes are retriggered, it doesn’t matter if you set retrigger on or off, or whether poly mode is enabled. Unless I can find a way to fix this it means that pads aren’t really possible. The presets also seem to be affected by this issue.

• edited February 2020

I like it very much.

I think the GUI is laid out very nicely, and there are tons of modulation features.

It's capable of a wide range sound types.... But.... Getting sounds the way I want them can take quite a bit of "dialing in" the settings just right.

This is not your average analog synth emulator.

At first, I began trying to program it like a typical analog synth emulator, and I had difficulty with the oscillator section sounding very "thin". For me the graphical "filter section" has a somewhat steep learning curve.

I'd love for there to be an option in the filter section to switch between the graphical interface, and also have a set of traditional analog filter dials. With "Res" and "Freq" "Knob Controls", and a selection knob for "classic" filter types. e.g... 12db, 24db. ladder, LP, HP, etc...

Since it has twin filters, it would be very cool to be able to have an input selector for each filter, to provide the option to send oscillators 1, 2, and 3, singly, or in any group of combinations, to each of the filters. Then have the ability to run the filters in series, or in a parallel, output configuration.

I now think I understand why the motion sequencer does not have an option to reset to the beginning for each individual key press. It think that individual notes may be sent into the motion sequencer after they are mixed. Having each key press re-start at the first slider would require a separate a motion sequencer for each voice, and maybe that might add too much CPU overhead to the synth.

The motion sequencer does have a "Sync mode", and when the transport is set to play at the top of the synth, the motion sequencer will then act as a very cool type of "filter", that will act upon played sounds (including ADSR Release), as they are triggered by playing the keyboard, and not triggered by each step of the sequencer.

When the arpeggiator is turned on... Then the motion sequencer enters the mode where it re-triggers notes on each step.

My suggestion to anyone having mixed feelings after trying to program this synth. Is go through all of the included presets, find sounds that you like, then go through all the programing screens for all the features and study how the sound was made. I found that this synth depends heavily on the effects section to give sounds their "expansiveness and depth".

Once I got the hang of how to program it, I began to start getting huge, immense, soundscape sounds out of it.

• @richardyot said:
    There seems to be a bug with it: set a slow amp and filter attack, and yet when playing consecutive notes there is still a fast attack when notes are retriggered, it doesn’t matter if you set retrigger on or off, or whether poly mode is enabled. Unless I can find a way to fix this it means that pads aren’t really possible. The presets also seem to be affected by this issue.

I noticed that the Filter Envelope did that, but on the Filter Envelope it didn't bother me that much.

I just set a very long Attack Time on the Default sound. And I can confirm that when the same note is played again, the Attack Time regresses back to around 300ms, and clipping-like sounds can be heard on each successive re-press of the same note.

Hopefully that will be fixed in an upcoming update.

• Give this MPE

• Had some fun tonight in AUM with this new gem of a synth. @bleassapp nice work as usual:

• @echoopera said:
    Had some fun tonight in AUM with this new gem of a synth. @bleassapp nice work as usual:

Nice

• Hi!

Thanks a lot for your feedback and enthusiasm about the Alpha Synth!
    We are really happy that you dig the Alpha! And we have noted very carefully all of your remarks.
    So far, we can already announce that we are planning to bring new updates in the coming weeks and months.
    These updates will bring to the Alpha Synth:

• Double tap to reset value
    • Midi Bluetooth
    • Audio Bluetooth
    • MPE
    • More target modulations
    • Scales
    • More presets and a better patch management

Stay tuned!

In the meantime, don't hesitate to have a look at @TheGBGuide 's awesome presentation of the Alpha Synth if you haven't yet:

• Thank you. Easily my favorite synth based on easy of use, sound quality, ability for programming complexity, and most importantly fun. I’m having a blast dialing up usable sounds right out the gate with it.

• @horsetrainer said:

@richardyot said:
    There seems to be a bug with it: set a slow amp and filter attack, and yet when playing consecutive notes there is still a fast attack when notes are retriggered, it doesn’t matter if you set retrigger on or off, or whether poly mode is enabled. Unless I can find a way to fix this it means that pads aren’t really possible. The presets also seem to be affected by this issue.

I noticed that the Filter Envelope did that, but on the Filter Envelope it didn't bother me that much.

I just set a very long Attack Time on the Default sound. And I can confirm that when the same note is played again, the Attack Time regresses back to around 300ms, and clipping-like sounds can be heard on each successive re-press of the same note.

I just can't use this synth because of this issue, it's impossible to make pads. @bleassapp any chance you could look into this? It's a promising synth but for me this is a major issue, I like to design ambient patches and Alpha simply can't do this due to the attack envelope not working as expected.

• @richardyot said:

@horsetrainer said:

@richardyot said:

I just can't use this synth because of this issue, it's impossible to make pads. @bleassapp any chance you could look into this? It's a promising synth but for me this is a major issue, I like to design ambient patches and Alpha simply can't do this due to the attack envelope not working as expected.

Thank you guys for your precious insight! Ideally could you please send us your "incriminated" preset along with an email to feedback (at) bleass [DOT] com please? So that we can open your preset and replicate the issue! We will try to look into this asap.

Thanks!

• @bleassapp said:
    Thank you guys for your precious insight! Ideally could you please send us your "incriminated" preset along with an email to feedback (at) bleass [DOT] com please? So that we can open your preset and replicate the issue! We will try to look into this asap.

Thanks!

Here's a video of the issue: you can see that when I increase the attack and release times on the amp envelope that although the initial note has a suitably slow attack, once the notes are retriggered the attack is fast, leading to a much more percussive sound than the pad-like sound I am trying to create:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbluvpmqysg2hpv/2020-02-03 13.54.44.mp4?dl=0

I'll also send an email with a link to the video

• It needs to be set to poly for pads. The second preset in bank A is slow pads,amp envelope works properly on that

• edited February 2020

@ChanceB said:
    It needs to be set to poly for pads. The second preset in bank A is slow pads,amp envelope works properly on that

Not if you retrigger the same note again, it doesn't work. I demonstrate that in the video I made.

• Wow your right,didn’t try same note . Definitely a problem

• @ChanceB said:
    Wow your right,didn’t try same note . Definitely a problem

I checked a few other synths to compare how they handle same-note-repetition with slow rising attack.
    They all reset the Attack envelope to the beginning immediately after a same-key release and re-press.

I kind of like this behavior as a feature. But there ought to be a way to turn it on and off.

Perfectly normal for an initial release to have a few quirks.

It's a great synth!

• Thank you all for your remarks and @richardyot for pointing that out! we will work on this and should bring some improvements in the coming updates regarding this enveloppe behaviour. But please note that all synths do not necessarily behave the same way.
    In this case, if you apply really long attack and release, they will tend to overlap if you play the same note again so a workaround in this very case could be to add a long attack to your filter envelope as well (and not only on the amp adsr)

• @bleassapp said:
    Thank you all for your remarks and @richardyot for pointing that out! we will work on this and should bring some improvements in the coming updates regarding this enveloppe behaviour. But please note that all synths do not necessarily behave the same way.
    In this case, if you apply really long attack and release, they will tend to overlap if you play the same note again so a workaround in this very case could be to add a long attack to your filter envelope as well (and not only on the amp adsr)

Thanks for looking into this :)

Increasing the filter envelope does help, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. You can't really make ambient music with Alpha due to this behaviour, so IMO it is a pretty big deal 🎹

• edited February 2020

@richardyot said:

@bleassapp said:
    Thank you all for your remarks and @richardyot for pointing that out! we will work on this and should bring some improvements in the coming updates regarding this enveloppe behaviour. But please note that all synths do not necessarily behave the same way.

Thanks for looking into this :)

Increasing the filter envelope does help, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. You can't really make ambient music with Alpha due to this behaviour, so IMO it is a pretty big deal 🎹

I was able to get good results without any issues by setting both amp and filter envelopes to max attack and decay. Make sure the mod envelope is turned off. If it’s modulating pitch you will hear it as a blip on re-strike.

PS - what I hear on your video sounds like the filter envelope re-triggering FWIW

• @bleassapp is there a chance of making the envelope controls react relative to the current position instead of jumping to where I start sliding from?