Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What analog mixer you guys use?

For those AB’ers using hardware synths in their rigs with analog mixers I thought I’d ask what brand mixers do you use and like? I have the first ever issue of the Mackie CR1604 .. but I’ve outgrown it and could use a 32 channel board now. I will take the mixers main outs and run it to my Apogee Duet which is hooked up to my iPad Pro. Thanks guys.

Comments

• soundcraft spirit folio f1

• Mackie 1602 vlz3

• mackie 802-vlz3

• Team Mackie! 1642 VLZ3 here.

• Mackie 802i and the Mix8

• @Liquidmantis said:
    Team Mackie! 1642 VLZ3 here.

Cool! Yeah my 1604 has been a workhorse now literally for 30 years, only once when it was about a year old did it need service as one of the channels crackled .. turned out the board had a cold solder joint .. but after that was repaired it was 29 years of loyalty to its owner .. me 😚 So now I’m looking at the 32 channel Mackie VLZ4 .. but also the Soundcraft 32 channel LX7ii. Any of you guys that own the more modern China or Malaysian Mackies ever also own an old USA one? I’d be interesting to hear your take on the differences.

• -Mackie 1402 VLZ = Ultra dependable
    -MOTU 828 mkII FireWire (can also be used stand-alone) when I need to record to my iMac.

• Samson SM10 line mixer. 7 stereo channels, 2 mic channels, 1 stereo line in for the FX send. 1U rack so perfect for gigging.

• @royor said:
    -Mackie 1402 VLZ = Ultra dependable
    -MOTU 828 mkII FireWire (can also be used stand-alone) when I need to record to my iMac.

How’s the noise floor on that Royer? Quiet enough for recording? Do you like the EQ’s? Basically I’m looking at the 32 channel version of that. Thanks man 👍

@onkey said:
    Samson SM10 line mixer. 7 stereo channels, 2 mic channels, 1 stereo line in for the FX send. 1U rack so perfect for gigging.

Are those SM10’s quiet enough for recording? Pretty transparent? I’ve eyed those before .. lotta channels in 1U is awesome. Thanks man 👍

• I have a Yamaha 102c 10 channel stereo mixer. I don't use it as a mixer for jamming with hardware myself too often but a buddy of mine who I play with a lot uses it whenever he's over in my studio.

What I think is cool is that it has 4 stereo inputs WITH EQ on all 4 inputs and the first two mono channels have inserts. It's rare to see inserts at this price (you can get these new for less than $150, probably half that used) and it is brick shithouse tough.

Before I got the Behringer UMC404HD last year anytime I wanted to go more than two inputs (my main Tascam interface is 2x2) I would use the Yamaha as a submixer. It is very quiet and the sound of the EQ's is great. You go to add some top and it's not just a bunch of hissy artifacts; it really is usable EQ.

Good luck finding a mixer, good thing is there are literally dozens of small scale analog mixers on the market right now for very reasonable entry fees...

• Can’t say I’ve recorded with it but there’s plenty of noiseless gain through my monitors at least. My synths and DP’s sound the same with headphones plugged direct versus plugged into the Samson’s monitor/headphone so I’m assuming it’s transparent enough for recording.

A couple of caveats:

• No EQ on any of the channels so if your gear lacks onboard EQ that could be an issue.
    • The on/off switch is at the rear and can be hard to get to if racked. As a result mine stays on 24/7 without problems.
  • I'm still using my Soundtracs Topaz 24/8 (the 'Miami Vice version'). It's an inline monitoring type machine so it works as 48 input mixer by switching the strips from the main input to the 'tape' input. Both inputs are available at the same time but which ever input is set to the 'alternate' gets limited controls: volume, pan mute and solo control, a low and high eq and a single aux send. The alternate also can't be sent to specific bus routing but its easy enough to route the 'monitor' send itself.

Sounds great and super flexible but it's too big for my current life. Still, I can't seem to part with it.

https://reverb.com/item/1081036-soundtracs-topaz-24-classic-analog-console

• Soundcraft Signature 10

• Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro and i love it newer stuf is too clean :p
    This vid sold me on it:

• I also have a Tascam MM-1 in the attic, it’s the second one I had, and I kind of ignore it these days as I don’t need 20 channels.