Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

Comments

• What’s this all about then?

• i don’t understand 🤣

• Me too😂😂😂

• Is it a bit like Bismark BS-16 ?

Agree about the slightly ambiguous description.

• edited January 2020

From the “manual”

MIDI Module Unit is a 16 x multi timbre Sound Module (16 MIDI channels) in Audio Unit format, that basically implements the General MIDI Standard.

It is considered an experimental Audio Unit, because it uses dynamic voice- (and thus memory) allocation to prove some rumours and claims wrong, generalised claims about so- called “forbidden” memory allocation on realtime DSP systems.

Conclusion: Without dynamic memory allocation, many powerful concepts of music creation would just not be possible inside of Audio Units. Such claims are ridiculous and just wrong.

With Module Unit you can play up to a maximum of 1024 dynamically allocated voices of an integrated sample-based wavetable synthesizer at ones. These voices are mapped to the 16 internal MIDI and audio channels and this mapping is also done dynamically while playing with the device in realtime.

There are 2 integrated send effects, a reverb and a chorus too (internal send busses) which can be mixed to the internal audio channels, usually controlled by MIDI controllers.

MIDI Module Unit can be remoted with most important MIDI controllers, defined in the GM standard, so that MIDI files can be played directly thru its engine. An example of such controllers are Gain (007) and Pan (010).

This is the first multi timbre GM sound module in Audio Unit format, as we know. Everything in MIDI Module Unit will be automated with MIDI controllers, rather than Audio Unit parameter automation. It basically behaves like any external Sound Module. Although, there may be some additional AU parameters that can be used for audio unit automation.

MIDI Module has only one stereo audio output.

• @audiblevideo said:
    It is considered an experimental Audio Unit, because it uses dynamic voice- (and thus memory) allocation to prove some rumours and claims wrong, generalised claims about so- called “forbidden” memory allocation on realtime DSP systems.

Conclusion: Without dynamic memory allocation, many powerful concepts of music creation would just not be possible inside of Audio Units. Such claims are ridiculous and just wrong.

Oh gawd... he's still going on about this? What's wrong with this guy? (At least his claims about memory allocation inside realtime threads are :D )

• Seems rather opinionated about things in general, which is fine, but possibly hard to have a conversation with. 🤷‍♂️

As long as he’s happy.

• Are we part of the experimentation?

• @cuscolima said:
    Are we part of the experimentation?

You have to pay for the privilege.

• edited January 2020

All of this guys interfaces look to me like those optical illusion pictures designed to make your eyes go weird and see static things move. They are literally designed to be unusable for me.

But it’s ok because instead of using the multi-touch screens in our devices to do something musically useful like move two controls at the same time we get to zoom in to try and decipher the UI.

Cool.

Ps. Pass.

• Don’t need this. Have no usecase as I don’t really get what it’s about :-)

• @klownshed said:
    All of this guys interfaces look to me like those optical illusion pictures designed to make your eyes go weird and see static things move. They are literally designed to be unusable for me.

But it’s ok because instead of using the multi-touch screens in our devices to do something musically useful like move two controls at the same time we get to zoom in to try and decipher the UI.

Cool.

Ps. Pass.

Can’t stop laughing😂😂😂

• edited January 2020

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that this is indeed NOT the first multi-timbral sound module in the AU format with GM capability. Just a hunch, though.

• And how did this get approved without a video? Usually app reviewers seem dumb as bricks but I've gotta admit I'd be stumped with this one. The description does not explain what its primary use is, and, were I an app reviewer, I'd be wary of ok'ing this.

• I can't figure out what it is ... I thought I understood English well enough, but it doesn't seem so. Can anyone help me understand? thanks.

• I think the slight confusion in the app description might be due to second language use. Perhaps more importantly, has anyone used this? What are the sounds like? What’s the ease of use?

• Is it a midi player or a synth?

• I generally like this dev’s apps - I’m able to separate the product from his “last angry man” schtick. That said, I can only echo what many are asking: “What does this do?” It seems like it might be a wave table synth of some kind. It’s almost $18 USD, so perhaps it is quite special. Anyone willing to brave it?

• edited January 2020

https://midi.digitster.com/MIDI SWEET/MIDI Module Unit.pdf

Seems to be like one of those old keyboards from Yamaha and what not, which had an awful lot of sounds on board as an audio unit!?

Still dont get it

• This reminds me of a tv show intro in the 80s...

• There is obviously a lot of heart and soul put it to the sound module — This thing is inspirational like a Tony Robbins seminar. Thus the high price

• @audiobussy said:
    There is obviously a lot of heart and soul put it to the sound module — This thing is inspirational like a Tony Robbins seminar. Thus the high price

And (quote from the website) its „experimental“.

• Wouldn't this be an AU variant of the standalone GM Midi player that Jens put out on Jan 18th (https://apps.apple.com/app/id1445780869)? My guess is that both generate similar sounds.
    This module does appear to be similar to Bismark BS-16i, though no soundfonts / replaceable sounds are mentioned.

I believe that this is still to be followed by an AU "Midi Player Unit" that creates Midi output from Midi files and would provide an alternative to the Photon AUv3 plugin.

• Ok look, I don’t know whats going on here with folks basically making fun of this developer. I haven’t bought this app (yet), but the ones I do have are great, I actually prefer and use them in my workflow.

If a computer programmer comes off as nuts in spoken or written language, I would take it as a good sign that there is focus and dedication in his work. Every great idea we use in life likely originated from some extreme, cantankerous individual.

Jens Guell, I think you make great apps and I want you to keep fighting the good fight. Your stereo filters are particularly good.
    I’m writing this to balance this post and come out as a fan of this guy.

• Man, some of you are harsh lol.

• @Zetagy I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Brian Blessed quote before. Respect. 🙂

• edited January 2020

I also really like this developers tools.

The stereo, make louder and model one apps are really cool.
    The free convolution app is also more than a great start
    for reverb needs.

Nope, this GM player is not a tool/sound source for me but
    the more we encourage him then the better the apps will be.
    If he were to add the ability to load up our samples
    or sfz/sf etc files then it would be a great tool for sound creation.

Regardless of what we may think the GM module may
    simply have been a challenge for him and now he's done it.

What is going to be interesting is what is he going to come up with next?

As a very good singer that I know has always said,

'Just do the damn thing'.

• Jens is solid.

His home cooked translation engine needs its carburetor replaced.