Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NEWS for anyone thinking about PROGRAMMING APPS from @Analog_Matt

From the L7 thread.

@analog_matt said:

@McD said:
AUv3 from AudioKit is so cool.. and having AUv3 in the Audio Kit just means more AUv3
apps at great prices from smaller developers. The big shops tend to use JUCE or write their own framework.

Thanks for the kind words.

In related news, I'm very excited to announce that Jeff Cooper and I have been working on a robust MIT-licensed (completely free open-source) example of an open-source sample instrument playing AUv3 app.

It will hopefully be one of the most complete examples of an AUv3 app. We've been writing it from the ground up, so it will be simpler to understand. (Much better than trying to tack AUv3 onto an existing app).

We should be able to make the code public in March. And, we'll be able to give fellow developers access next month. ([email protected])

In the meantime, thank you for supporting indie developers like @danielfromcodalabs on the L7 Looper app. He has been working incredibly hard on it for all of you here.

I installed Xcode on my Mac again... I had it to look at the AudioKit D1 Synth code and decided it was beyond my pay grade.

This looks like trying again. Probably beyond me but worth taking a peek. Anything worth doing probably involves something approaching work. Hmm... But I will labor over a good puzzle.

Comments

• Is this open source stuff the path to making a proper autotune efx type app (the current one doesn’t work with a real mic)? I can’t wait any longer, and I am thinking about consulting a developer to assess what it would take to make it happen so any shortcuts to the finish line would really help.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    Is this open source stuff the path to making a proper autotune efx type app (the current one doesn’t work with a real mic)? I can’t wait any longer, and I am thinking about consulting a developer to assess what it would take to make it happen so any shortcuts to the finish line would really help.

That's the deep end of the pool. But yes.

AudioKit can use all the Apple DSP's and AutoTune is a DSP type of problem.
    It helps add AUv3, make a GUI and probably whole lot more.

Check the audiokit.org web site to see what kinds of app it has inspired.
    I did and nothing jumped out at me.

• edited January 2020

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    Is this open source stuff the path to making a proper autotune efx type app

Only if you already have the maths and physics chops for it, AND have a good idea for a non-patented algorithm to achieve it.

:)

• @McD said:

@brambos said:
    Only if you already have the maths and physics chops for it, AND have a good idea for a non-patented algorithm to achieve it.

Looks like you'll need to create the Digital Signal Processing and be clever not to
    infringe on a patented approach.

Ok, Forget deep end of the pool. This would be deep sea exploration.

• @McD said:

@McD said:

@brambos said:

Looks like you'll need to create the Digital Signal Processing and be clever not to

Yeah.. that's not to say this isn't going to help anyone. On the contrary, for many people who already have some coding (or even DSP) experience getting the iOS / AUv3 plumbing right is still an incredibly tough and frustrating part of the work. This may make that aspect relatively easy-peasy :)

• @brambos said:

@McD said:

@McD said:

@brambos said:

Yeah.. that's not to say this isn't going to help anyone. On the contrary, for many people who already have some coding (or even DSP) experience getting the iOS / AUv3 plumbing right is still an incredibly tough and frustrating part of the work. This may make that aspect relatively easy-peasy :)

They are making a sample app and all beginners can benefit from a piece of code that works.

Then you change it rather than hound them to add features. Just learn how to implement them yourself.

On the ABF we just keep asking for more and get cranky when we are ignored.

• Speaking of open-sourcing examples of apps, I read "somewhere" about a great iOS dev who uses his existing, stable apps (like Ruismaker) - rips out the DSP, UI and other specifics and then builds new great apps on top of that foundation...

Imagine THAT foundation as an open-source bootstrapping SDK :wink:

• @Peblin said:
    Speaking of open-sourcing examples of apps, I read "somewhere" about a great iOS dev who uses his existing, stable apps (like Ruismaker) - rips out the DSP, UI and other specifics and then builds new great apps on top of that foundation...

Imagine THAT foundation as an open-source bootstrapping SDK :wink:

And this un-named developer calls it "Frankenstein-ing" by started with a fresh corpse.
    "Save the liver".

He's on a roll and produces new apps on a train schedule.

People are saying he's working on Mononoke's Bride. Using the "Adam's Rib"
    non-patented algorithm. God has the the patented version called "Genesis".

• edited January 2020

@ipadbeatmaking @brambos you guys might be interested in this autotune / harmonizer algorithm I built from scratch a few days ago: