Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FEATURE REQUEST: Developers....

I have a question/feature request.

Is it a pain in the ass to add an “open full size” feature on your AU apps?

For example, a user can open an AU FX app and have it full size ready to tweak, in lieu of dragging edges and all that to size it.

It is my understanding that this is a possibility, but I am wondering the difficulty of such an addition?

Perhaps host apps could have some method
or feature as well.

Just wondering and wanted y’all to give a professional opinion on the matter.

Perhaps other users would enjoy this feature.

Another question, how about FX apps actually having a midi command to launch certain ore selected AU fx w just using midi controller. I would ideally like to use a second iPad with AU fx icons and be able to launch them from a secondary iOS device.
Imagine like AB Remote having 4 AU Fx you could launch at any time. Too much? LOL

I have big hands(and big feet 😉) so fiddling with apps in mid performance is a bit tedious at times.

TGIF

Comments

• I don't think it's possible for an AU to dictate the size of the window it's hosted in. It would be the responsibility of the AU host to offer such a feature.

TGIF! (whatever that means)

• @SevenSystems said:
    I don't think it's possible for an AU to dictate the size of the window it's hosted in. It would be the responsibility of the AU host to offer such a feature.

It means @RUST( i )K is a man of the future.

• @SevenSystems said:
    I don't think it's possible for an AU to dictate the size of the window it's hosted in. It would be the responsibility of the AU host to offer such a feature.

Correct. The host always makes the call about the container size for the plugin. Garageband has an (utterly clumsy) method for inquiring which preferences the plugin has, but ultimately ignores that and just gives the plugin something to work with.

So this is a (valid) feature request for host makers :)

• @AudioGus said:

Well played!

@SevenSystems, TGIF is "Thank God It's Friday" (which is also the name of a restaurant chain).

• @sch said:

@AudioGus said:

Well played!

@SevenSystems, TGIF is "Thank God It's Friday" (which is also the name of a restaurant chain).

OK. I guess it's noticeable that I don't go to restaurants a lot and have no fixed weekly schedule 😄

• @RUST( i )K said:

I know with AUM you can double-tap on the top bar of the AU window to have it automatically size to full screen.

@RUST( i )K said:
    TGIF

TBIT (for me)

• @kgmessier said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I know with AUM you can double-tap on the top bar of the AU window to have it automatically size to full screen.

nice, didn't know that. would be good enough for me...

• @AudioGus said:

@SevenSystems said:

@sch said:

@AudioGus said:

Well played!

This is long week...LOL

• @brambos said:

@SevenSystems said:

Correct. The host always makes the call about the container size for the plugin. Garageband has an (utterly clumsy) method for inquiring which preferences the plugin has, but ultimately ignores that and just gives the plugin something to work with.

So this is a (valid) feature request for host makers :)

:)

see my review for new app?

• @SevenSystems said:

Thanks man~

• edited January 2020

Since we are discussing all of this stuff, I was wondering if the following is possible (from a dev perspective):

An app that functions in standalone, but the AUv3 is simply controls that connect to the IAA app running.

So, instead of running as an AUv3 with memory limitations, it's running as a full app, and the AUv3 is simply a conduit for controls/keyboard/etc.

Is this something that could be created? I know several apps have a "MIDI mode" AUv3 and I know that what I am proposing is not what that means right now, but it seems like it could be possible, though I don't think it's been done and I am not a dev.

I think the most annoying part, would be having to launch the app, then launching a host, then launching the AUv3 control version, for any app using this method...but it sounded like a good idea in my head.