Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's your recommended Sampler for an iPhone?

Beatmaker 3 isn't on an iPhone, sadly. I do have Nanostudio 2, although I was looking for something to sample instruments so that I can play it. I've heard good things about AudioLayer, but not many reference an iPhone. Also, there's Korg Vancouver and Samplist. I'd like something for a 49 keyboard range preferably.

Comments

• Audiolayer works on the phone. You might also look at Chameleon (4Pockets) and Beathawk.

• @Samflash3 said:
    Beatmaker 3 isn't on an iPhone, sadly. I do have Nanostudio 2, although I was looking for something to sample instruments so that I can play it. I've heard good things about AudioLayer, but not many reference an iPhone. Also, there's Korg Vancouver and Samplist. I'd like something for a 49 keyboard range preferably.

BeatMaker 2 is on iPhone, fwiw.

What are you looking for in a sampler? It means so many things to so many people.

Nanostudio's sampler is quite good. Since you already have Nanostudio, you might want to dig in with that.

• Tried triggering bm2 pads from aum yesterday but couldn’t figure it out, is it even possible?

• @Krupa said:
    Tried triggering bm2 pads from aum yesterday but couldn’t figure it out, is it even possible?

Why would you want to do this?
    AUM has no sequencer, BM2 does.

• To use Rozeta was my main thing, and just wanted to give it a go and compare it to beathawk...

• @espiegel123 said:

@Samflash3 said:

BeatMaker 2 is on iPhone, fwiw.

What are you looking for in a sampler? It means so many things to so many people.

Nanostudio's sampler is quite good. Since you already have Nanostudio, you might want to dig in with that.

Wanted to sample some of my synths and use the sampler as a ROMPLER.

• If you are wanting to build samples from your synths, some people like the combination of SynthJacker and either NanoStudio or AudioLayer. While you can do the sampling from within those apps, Synthjacker automates the process of grabbing notes.

• @espiegel123 said:
    If you are wanting to build samples from your synths, some people like the combination of SynthJacker and either NanoStudio or AudioLayer. While you can do the sampling from within those apps, Synthjacker automates the process of grabbing notes.

I'm cheap, so I guess Nanostudio it is lol. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Koala all day.

• @rs2000 said:

@Krupa said:
    Tried triggering bm2 pads from aum yesterday but couldn’t figure it out, is it even possible?

Why would you want to do this?
    AUM has no sequencer, BM2 does.

Is it possible? Tried a few ways but no biscuit yet...

• @Samflash3 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    If you are wanting to build samples from your synths, some people like the combination of SynthJacker and either NanoStudio or AudioLayer. While you can do the sampling from within those apps, Synthjacker automates the process of grabbing notes.

I'm cheap, so I guess Nanostudio it is lol. Thanks for the recommendation.

As long as you never intend to use your samples outside of NS2 that’s probably your best bet.

If you think you might want to use them in another host, an auv3 sampler would be better. But NS2 is nicer to use than AudioLayer, which being a Virsyn app is a bit inscrutable at times. NS2 also has Slate which is good for percussion and chopping up stuff (manually though, no transient slicing unfortunately).

Chameleon is OK, basic but gets the job done. Obsidian is richer and nicer to use IMO. Audiolayer is very capable but not as nice to use as Obsidian either. Actually not nice to use at all really, but good to play once you've set it up. I use it to import EXS sample instruments from Logic so it's the only real option for that. I don't like using AudioLayer to actually make sample sets, I just use it as a playback device.

Even getting EXS24 into AL is a pain though. i always feel like I'm not sure how I got it to work after successfully importing a sample set and have the same struggle each subsequent time :-/

• I find AudioLayer to be quite easy to use once you understand the quirks. Obsidian is nice but doesn’t offer the portability and flexibility of AUv3.

• edited January 2020

Koala and BlocsWave are great in different ways. Both are well suited to the smaller screen.

Edit: Didn’t notice the midi notes required statement in OP.

Beathawk has some great sounds, not sure how it looks on small screen but probably still sounds superb.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

I'm much happier with AudioLayer now that I've got the process for creating instruments with SynthJacker down. When named right, the samples just import beautifully all in one go. I could barely stand building up instruments by hand in that interface. Other than the twitchy interface when importing and placing samples, AudioLayer has worked fine for me. Just stay away from the iCloud storage option, IMO, and stick to manually transferring patches between devices.

I've felt no need to try other samplers since getting comfortable with the SynthJacker > AudioLayer process, so I can't give comparative advice.