Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Possible “stupid” question

I spend a lot of time putting Korverpressor on every bus to even out the loud/soft of presets.

Who saves synth presets with different amp/volume levels than what they ship with? The levels seem to work ok when mixing between presets with the same synth, but between synths there’s often a disparity.

There are a lot of Zenon and Sunrizer patches that are overly loud our of the box. Would you just save with a lower volume?

I guess same Q with low volume presets.

Comments

• Hmmm, not sure Korvpressor is what you should be doing here...yes I think you should be saving them all with a similar volume.

Generally when mixing you should be doing some sort of gain staging first....so adjust the output volume of the synths, drums, vocals etc.. so that the level on your mixer for each is at the same level for each of them. Saving presets all with similar volume helps with this.
    You should only be using korvpressor to shorten the distance from the loudest and the quietest points on a single track, not really to adjust it to fit with other tracks, you should be using the volume for that.

This is of course very shallow info on compression, there are lots of reasons to compress, but for what you describe then volume is what you should use first. imho :)

• edited January 2020

@AndyPlankton said:

Generally when mixing you should be doing some sort of gain staging first....so adjust the output volume of the synths, drums, vocals etc.. so that the level on your mixer for each is at the same level for each of them. Saving presets all with similar volume helps with this.
    You should only be using Korvpressor to shorten the distance from the loudest and the quietest points on a single track, not really to adjust it to fit with other tracks, you should be using the volume for that.

I do adjust the volume first :smile: for sure. I use Korvpressor to usually boost some base and ambient sounds and effects that have too much variation in loud/soft. It just seems I have to do that a lot.

Or should, and/or what, would be the downside of using AUM's gain utility or similar? Versus using FAC Maximizer or Korvpressor to boost the soft parts within each track.

• WTKWTK
    edited January 2020

@AndyPlankton said:
    Hmmm, not sure Korvpressor is what you should be doing here...yes I think you should be saving them all with a similar volume.

You should only be using korvpressor to shorten the distance from the loudest and the quietest points on a single track, not really to adjust it to fit with other tracks, you should be using the volume for that.

This is of course very shallow info on compression, there are lots of reasons to compress, but for what you describe then volume is what you should use first. imho :)

Amen! Gain staging ftw! The thing is that imho no iOS daw comes with some kind of visually feedback about rms/peak measurement that I can work with. Plus you need some basic kind of understanding how dB works in the digital (or analog) environment (logarithmic iirc).

If you understand how different sound sources will sum then mixing will become a lot more easier no matter how many people are telling you that gain stagings is not necessary in the digital domain.