Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio2 to ProTools for audio tracks and mix

edited January 2020 in General App Discussion

Hi all!

** I have finally got the music done for my first venture into mobile music creation. I find NanoStudio2 easiest for me to create with because of the UI, sounds and the ability for tempo and time changes. **

I do wish that I could record audio for vocals and split the all tracks into stereo for proper left right panning

Without those two features I cannot mix in it to complete my projects ☹️

I would really like to import the tracks into Cubasis to finish the song but it does not allow tempo or time changes

Because of this I would like to import the tracks from the iPad and NanoStudio2 into ProTools 11.

Ideally each track as a separate audio track and the tempo information so that it is all in sync and I may then record my vocal tracks and mix the project

Is this possible and if so how?

Comments

• The export will be difficult as NS2 does not output single audio channels but only stereo out. So you would have to record each track separately. I think it’s easier use an AUv3 plugin in NS2 tha allows to record audio tracks. For example MultiTrack recorder from 4pockets. It syncs to the host NS2 but I did not work with it intensively and I don’t know if it syncs to tempo changes but I do know it has a ‚host sync‘ option.

• @ralis said:
    Hi all!

** I have finally got the music done for my first venture into mobile music creation. I find NanoStudio2 easiest for me to create with because of the UI, sounds and the ability for tempo and time changes. **

I do wish that I could record audio for vocals and split the all tracks into stereo for proper left right panning

Without those two features I cannot mix in it to complete my projects ☹️

I would really like to import the tracks into Cubasis to finish the song but it does not allow tempo or time changes

Because of this I would like to import the tracks from the iPad and NanoStudio2 into ProTools 11.

Ideally each track as a separate audio track and the tempo information so that it is all in sync and I may then record my vocal tracks and mix the project

Is this possible and if so how?

FYI, Auria Pro has a tempo track and is more fully-formed than Cubasis for doing a mix. You might want to consider using AP for the final compositing/mixing.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@ralis said:

I don't think NS2 and Auria Pro export tempo information in mix down in any case. Maybe with a midi export? I dunno.

• @krassmann said:
    The export will be difficult as NS2 does not output single audio channels but only stereo out. So you would have to record each track separately. I think it’s easier use an AUv3 plugin in NS2 tha allows to record audio tracks. For example MultiTrack recorder from 4pockets. It syncs to the host NS2 but I did not work with it intensively and I don’t know if it syncs to tempo changes but I do know it has a ‚host sync‘ option.

NS2 outputs stems. It’s in the Mixdown menu

• edited January 2020

@krassmann
    The export will be difficult as NS2 does not output single audio channels but only stereo out.

Not exactly true. If you have multiple HW output soundcard you can send any channel to any HW output...

But this is more about mixdown, not about realtime playback. For mixdown you have multiple options how to export individual tracks...

• @wim said:

@ralis said:

I don't think NS2 and Auria Pro export tempo information in mix down in any case. Maybe with a midi export? I dunno.

I was assuming that he would export MIDI to get the tempo track. Or build the tempo track in AP to match what he has in NS2.

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@ralis said:

I was assuming that he would export MIDI to get the tempo track. Or build the tempo track in AP to match what he has in NS2.

Yeh, he was only talking about audio though, so I thought I should point out that the tempo track is another thing. Do you know if NS2 and Auria export MIDI with tempo track information? Just curious, and too lazy to test it out myself.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@ralis said:

Yeh, he was only talking about audio though, so I thought I should point out that the tempo track is another thing. Do you know if NS2 and Auria export MIDI with tempo track information? Just curious, and too lazy to test it out myself.

I don't know either.

• Rats. :D
    My curiosity is going to make me test that out. B)

• edited January 2020

@wim said:
    Rats. :D

i'll save your time :-) - yes it does... both tempo track and time signature track changes are included into exported midi file...

• @dendy said:

@wim said:
    Rats. :D

i'll save your time :-) - yes it does... both tempo track and time signature track changes are included into exported midi file...

Thanks! Now get busy and test Auria Pro. I’ll be back soon to check on your work.

• edited January 2020

Ok I do Not have Auria Pro-but I can buy it. (Should I?)

I have never done this sort of thing before. I have only used Pro Tools 11 and have an MBox Pro audio interface which does not work with my iPad :(

I am trying to get 19 AUDIO tracks (not Midi) from NS2 to another DAW so that I may add vocals and mix. Ideally the tracks would be stereo so I may pan them correctly.

There are 3 tempo changes

What is a Stem? I do not see them on the NS2 Project Mixdown page.

I do not see a way to “Mixdown” the tempo track and time signature information?

• edited January 2020

@ralis

You need to export both midi and audio

• double tap on empy are ain sequencer - it selects all events
    • tap ACTIONS > Export (thus saves all midi data including tempo tracks)
    • now go to mixdown, select type "all tracks" (see my screenshot above) - it will export individual tracks

now you can import midi file into protools and audio tracks tooo

to get exported files from your device to your computer you can use various methods, for example you can use NS WebDAV server, connect to it from your computer and download all files..

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Settings.html#webdav

If you connect to NS WebDAV server, your exported MIDI files are located in /Library/MIDI/ folder, and mixfiwns are, obviously:-), in /Mixdowns folder .

• @ralis said:

I have never done this sort of thing before. I have only used Pro Tools 11 and have an MBox Pro audio interface which does not work with my iPad :(

I am trying to get 19 AUDIO tracks (not Midi) from NS2 to another DAW so that I may add vocals and mix. Ideally the tracks would be stereo so I may pan them correctly.

Since your interface doesn't work with the iPad then there isn't much point in getting Auria because you wouldn't be able to record your vocals into it. In this case you will have to use the PC to record them.

• @ralis said:

No.

You pan mono tracks. Not stereo. If you want to adjust the panning of tracks after you export them, ideally they should be mono as stereo tracks are already 'panned'. You can balance a stereo track but not pan it as such.

If you think about it, in the natural world most sounds are effectively mono. Stereo is just information as to where the sound is coming from.

A mono sound panned to the left is still mono. If you export it as a mono file and pan it in ProTools later, you can choose exactly where you want the sound to come from. If you want to mix the stereo field in ProTools, and do your panning there, export mono tracks where practical.

If you pan the tracks inside NS2 before exporting, they will be 'panned' as they were in NS2.

If you export the tracks with stereo fx added to the track, you will want stereo tracks as many fx such as delay and reverb add stereo information and effectively make a mono track into a stereo track. If you want to pan things later, export dry and add fx during mix down.

Export the song as MID too. Import the MIDI file into protools and then just keep the tempo track. You can then import the audio which will theoretically be in perfect time with the tempo changes.

answered by dendy above

You don't export tempo and signature with audio. You need the midi file for that.

One way I'd try to do this is to duplicate your project in NS2 and in the duplicate delete everything except for the tempo track/. Export the resulting empty project as a MIDI file and import that into ProTools. Your new ProTools project should now have the correct tempo and sig. changes ready for your audio to be imported.

• Very nice reply @klownshed 🙏

• Thank you I will attempt these things tonight

• Thank you thank you thank you!

Dendy and Klownshed you helped me get the stereo audio tracks and the tempo / time signature info out of NS2 and into PT 11.

I exported the midi and saved it to my desktop using the techniques described by Dendy and the WebDAV I have never even typed an IP address before -Whew!

I got all the audio tracks saved to my desktop but it took two tries some thing went wrong when I selected them all and it hung up so I did it in two smaller groups.

Then I made a blank PT session with the same audio parameters and imported the midi file and the tempo and time line loaded right in.

I then imported all the audio tracks a few at a time just in case but they all started at the beginning of the song so I had to manually move them and line them up to start and stop where they should. There may be a way to avoid this I will try it on the next song.

Soon I will record the vocals and mix it down

By the way Klownshed in PT11 the stereo tracks have 2 pan pots so that you may center the track or pan hard left/right or any configuration you like, it is really handy.

I wish I could do all this in NS2 as it is so easy for me to work in.