Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to sniff the midi output of Patch Base

I want to look at what midi messages Patch Base is sending, however I can't seem to get it to work with any iOS midi apps that I could use for monitoring, for example MIDISpy or Mozaic loaded with a script to log its midi input.
When PatchBase is loaded it doesn't appear as either a source or destination in AUM's midi routing matrix so I can't explicity route it to anything there.
However within Patch Base you can turn on Midi outputs, if I turn on AUM or Network Session 1 for example in its outputs (and then for example set MIDISpy's input as Network Session 1) or in AUM route Network Session 1 to Mozaic then I still can't see any actual midi output coming from Patch Base (but if I route it to an externally connected hardware synth then that synth is controlled by it so its working as expected).

How come I can't sniff its midi output, any suggestions how I can do so?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

Have you tried turning on AUM as the patchbase output, then routing “AUM Destination” to Mozaic. Network Session is an odd case. Not all apps can use it, and it might have to actually travel across a network connection to be picked up (don’t take my word on that though, I could be wrong about it having to cross a network connection.)

Also, if PatchBase is putting out Sysex, and it probably is, Mozaic will need to have a specific OnSysex event. OnMidiInput won’t capture sysex.

That is, also assuming AUM passes sysex. I don’t know if it does or not.

• edited January 2020

That was it thanks, had to do both of those things.

@wim said:
    Also, if PatchBase is putting out Sysex, and it probably is

Why is that, why would it output Sysex rather than just the midi cc?

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@mungbeans said:
    That was it thanks, had to do both of those things.

@wim said:
    Also, if PatchBase is putting out Sysex, and it probably is

Why is that, why would it output Sysex rather than just the midi cc?

Lots of hardware synths (most probably) use sysex to upload and download patches. Most likely whatever synth you’re trying to talk to with PatchBase only understands sysex for patch loading.

Some synths let you control them with midi cc’s but talk sysex when working with patches.