Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hardware latency-issue with BM3/AUM

Hi,

I have quite recently started making music on my iPad 9.7 6th gen. I currently work mostly with Beatmaker 3 and various AUv3 synths. Works well! But lately I tried to add some hardware to the mix. I bought a DinSync RE-303 and a Roland SE-02 and this is where my problems begins.

For example, if I have a drum loop with FunkBox or Patterning 2 going in BM3 and try to sync this with the RE-303 and its internal sequencer I get latency-problems. It feels like the re-303 is totally off-beat.
I run BM3 with a latency buffer of 512. The re-303 runs through the Steinberg UR44. If I change the buffer-size to 256 or below the problem goes away. But then I get some serious cracks and pops in the sound instead so that's not an option. I get similar results with AUM.

The other day I accidentally discovered that if I run a certain patch in the reverb plugin EOS2 on the re-303 it will fall into sync. Feel free to listen to the linked file where I turn on and off the EOS2 patch. You hear quite clearly when I turn it off around 25sec in and when i turn it back on again around 39sec in.

https://dropbox.com/s/pkevha8ao2mw6jx/comparelatencyfix%20%5BFinale%2020200119%20171736%20A%5D.wav?dl=0

Now I wonder how you all get around this problem? Is there possibly an app/plugin/setting that does the compensation I get with the eos2 patch?

Thanks in advance!
/Andreas

Comments

• I record an OP-Z into BM3 with no problems, but I tend to record OP-Z loops as samples, and then use them that way.

I’ve never really worried about buffer size. I keep it high, unless I’m recording a guitar direct.

Are you syncing the 303 direct with BM3, using BM3’s own midi sync?

• @mistercharlie said:
    I record an OP-Z into BM3 with no problems, but I tend to record OP-Z loops as samples, and then use them that way.

I’ve never really worried about buffer size. I keep it high, unless I’m recording a guitar direct.

Are you syncing the 303 direct with BM3, using BM3’s own midi sync?

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I'm using BM3s own midi-sync. So when I press play in bm3 the 303 sequencer starts playing.

Same with AUMs send midi clock.

• Try it the other way around — pressing start on the 303 to trigger BM3.

Also, you don’t need to sync midi clock just to get start-stop sync. If that’s on, turn it off

• Cool, I'll test that when I get home! Thanks! :smile:

• Triggering BM3 from the 303 worked a lot better in terms of latency. Everything feels in sync.

But now I got another problem that I'm not able to solve. When I try to add an AUv3 unit to a channel the 303 sequencer will play that synth as well. Same thing if use the Behringer RD-8 as start stop. The drum sequence will play the selected synth in BM3. I've tried numerous different settings in both the hardware and in BM3 but when I get sequence to stop the startstop will also go away. Tried to disable the output channel in both hardware but that didn't work.

And I was not able to disable sync in bm3 because then the tempo is off.

Any tips? :smile:

• You have to set the synth's midi receive channel to a different one than the 303's
    Many synths are set to midi 'omni' (receive on all channels

• Ah true, thanks! I'll try that. But I´m not sure that I'm able to change that in all synths that I use.