Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioKit L7 Looper Now is AuV3 Compatible!

Comments

• The cpu shoots up pretty high after about 3 tracks on my air 1 but I’m not surprised since it’s so old. I was able to get 20 tracks in on my iPhone 11looping an audio file and could probably keep going but all the loops in unison were beginning to make pretty unsettling sounds

• @analog_matt said:
    In related news, I'm very excited to announce that Jeff Cooper and I have been working on a robust MIT-licensed (completely free open-source) example of an open-source sample instrument playing AUv3 app.

That could be "The greatest News Ever!!!!" and become the "Greatest Thing Ever!!!!"

It will hopefully be one of the most complete examples of an AUv3 app. We've been writing it from the ground up, so it will be simpler to understand. (Much better than trying to tack AUv3 onto an existing app).

Sold.

We should be able to make the code public in March. And, we'll be able to give fellow developers access next month. ([email protected])

Tim to re-install Xcode and learn a bit about AudioKit. I love a good challenge and will fail miserably but this is step 1 on the @Brambos Frankenstien Development Model:

1.Start with a working example of code.
    2. Gut it.
    3. Install new guts and stitch the monster app. Apply Lightning. My iPad uses Lightning not USB-C.
    4. Add code with small surguries testing for "life" at ever stage.
    5. When the creature is ready to terrorize the world start on it's bride.
    6. Profits.
    7. Go to #1. (#5 was really a #1.)

In the meantime, thank you for supporting indie developers like @danielfromcodalabs on the L7 Looper app. He has been working incredibly hard on it for all of you here.

Brave lad. We all have to start somewhere... Atlanta?

• edited January 2020

@wim

What's your rig and os version?

Edit:

How are you monitoring?
    Are you using Bluetooth headphones,
    headphones out or an external audio interface?

• How does this compare to Group The Loop in terms of functionality? Tempted by L7's AUV3ness!

• @Gravitas said:
    @wim

What's your rig and os version?

Edit:

How are you monitoring?
    Are you using Bluetooth headphones,
    headphones out or an external audio interface?

iPad Air 2, iOS 13.3, in AUM with only one other synth loaded at a time. Looper is in the FX slot of a send, with the synth sending to it. The synth channel is muted, so all monitoring comes through Looper. Monitoring with wired Apple earbuds in the Air 2's headphone jack. I have double-checked that it's running at 48K.

The problem seems to be with the playback of other tracks while recording, I think, as the recorded audio seems to be laid down as played, and everything plays back OK when not recording. I'll see if muting the other tracks and just recording with the metronome works better.

• edited January 2020

Interesting. I don't have it and know little about it.

Is there good AUV3 automation and does it work in BM3?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @wim

Okay, L7 until Friday worked internally only at 48kHz.
    I had described my issue with the Auv3 version to
    Daniel, which sounded similar to your issue and
    he implemented the sample rate selector.

Do you have a DAW program other than AUM
    that can be used to change the sample rate?

I have found that I need to set the sample rate and buffer size
    before I instantiate AUM for many IAA apps since iOS 13
    including BM3.

Also L7 IAA needs to be instantiated first before loading it into AUM.

The Auv3 version on my system needed the sample rate
    to be changed from 44.1kHz and back again
    for it to sync properly in AUM at 44.1kHz.

I'll be doing some more testing this week
    also contact @danielfromcodalabs
    he is most responsive.

He did mention that most of his developing is being done
    on a more recent iPad Pro and he needs access to either
    beta testers or bug reports from users with older machines.

This is my test AUM so you know.

These are my current settings

iPad Pro 9.7" 1st generation iOS 13.3

• @d4d0ug said:
    How do you route midi to the AUv3? I can’t seem to suss this out. I want to use a midi trigger...

I've tried to do this myself right now.
    It's not possible via AUM as yet it seems.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @analog_matt said:

@McD said:
    AUv3 from AudioKit is so cool.. and having AUv3 in the Audio Kit just means more AUv3
    apps at great prices from smaller developers. The big shops tend to use JUCE or write their own framework.

Thanks for the kind words.

In related news, I'm very excited to announce that Jeff Cooper and I have been working on a robust MIT-licensed (completely free open-source) example of an open-source sample instrument playing AUv3 app.

It will hopefully be one of the most complete examples of an AUv3 app. We've been writing it from the ground up, so it will be simpler to understand. (Much better than trying to tack AUv3 onto an existing app).

We should be able to make the code public in March. And, we'll be able to give fellow developers access next month. ([email protected])

In the meantime, thank you for supporting indie developers like @danielfromcodalabs on the L7 Looper app. He has been working incredibly hard on it for all of you here.

Nice, it's this kind of stuff that makes the price of L7 irrelevant, regardless of whether I'll ever use it or not (but, as an aside, having L7 work as a way of sampling each track in AUM, separately, would be most welcome :D ).

• Hi guys. Apologies for my absence here. Didn’t realize a separate thread was started for the AUv3 update.

Those of you who are having crashes:

Are you recording super long loops? Meaning 16 or 32 measures? If so, you’re probably running up against the AUv3 memory limitation. Unfortunately there’s no way around this but perhaps I could add a memory meter in the app so at least you know when it’s about to crash.

If you’re having sync issues / cracking, make sure the host’s sample rate and L7’s sample rate are the same. You can change L7’s sample rate in settings.

As @Gravitas mentioned earlier, I am indeed looking for beta testers with older devices and iOS versions. If you’re interested, just email me at [email protected].

Thanks everyone!

• I’m using iPhone 7plus with AUM & apeMatrix. iOS 13.3

L7 crashes a lot. Only recording 2-4 measures at a time. Usually around 3 tracks before crash. Sometimes doesn’t crash at all.

Crashes on iPad Pro 10.5 iOS 13.3 too, but more stable.

I wasn’t having crashes at all before the build that went AUv3. Tried delete and re-install. Made no difference.

It mostly works ok but not terribly reliable with the most recent update.

• Thanks for the reply @danielfromcodalabs 👍

Just tested L7 again in Aum, matching the buffer settings to 256 and sample rate to 48khz just through my iPhone speakers - Still records the start of the loop at the end with DigiStix. I tested Aum by itself (no L7) recording DigiStix and even it recorded a smaller amount of the loop start at the end (it’s much more noticeable in L7s recording though). Hope this info is useful, thanks

• @skiphunt said:
    I’m using iPhone 7plus with AUM & apeMatrix. iOS 13.3

L7 crashes a lot. Only recording 2-4 measures at a time. Usually around 3 tracks before crash. Sometimes doesn’t crash at all.

I wasn’t having crashes at all before the build that went AUv3. Tried delete and re-install. Made no difference.

Is the crash reproducible? If so, send me the steps to reproduce it at [email protected] and I'll fix it for you.

• @gdog said:
    Thanks for the reply @danielfromcodalabs 👍

Just tested L7 again in Aum, matching the buffer settings to 256 and sample rate to 48khz just through my iPhone speakers - Still records the start of the loop at the end with DigiStix. I tested Aum by itself (no L7) recording DigiStix and even it recorded a smaller amount of the loop start at the end (it’s much more noticeable in L7s recording though). Hope this info is useful, thanks

Not sure if I understand. Seems like this is a problem with DigiStix, not L7. Could you email me a video? [email protected]

• edited January 2020

@danielfromcodalabs said:

@skiphunt said:
    I’m using iPhone 7plus with AUM & apeMatrix. iOS 13.3

Is the crash reproducible? If so, send me the steps to reproduce it at [email protected] and I'll fix it for you.

Just tried again. On iPhone 7+ ios13.3 Launch AUM, load Mononoke as source. Load L7. Recorded 3 tacks 4 measures each no problem. Launched Playbeat and recorded 4th 4 measure loop. Crashed. Couldn’t reload L7. Relaunched AUM and still can’t relaunch L7. Did hard reset of iPhone. Still can’t launch L7, not even in standalone.

Deleted L7 and reinstalled. Now it works again.

This is pretty much how it’s gone for me ever since updating to the new build.

As mentioned before, I had no crashing or problems at all before the new AUv3 build

• any video examples???

• @danielfromcodalabs mine crashed during the start up tutorial in standalone. Now every time I open it it crashes after a few seconds without me doing anything. iPad 9.7 on the latest OS.

• Standalone crashing in settings screen. About 5-10 seconds and goes away. No previous recording or anything. Pro 10.5 iOS 12.4.1

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    How does this compare to Group The Loop in terms of functionality? Tempted by L7's AUV3ness!

Different workflows and not sure about multiple AUv3 instances...

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    How does this compare to Group The Loop in terms of functionality? Tempted by L7's AUV3ness!

Different workflows and not sure about multiple AUv3 instances...

I don't own Group the Loop so I can't say for that app.

Only one instance of L7 can be run.
    When you try to run a second instance it limits itself automatically.

Most probably to do with memory limitations of Auv3.
    What you can try is running both the IAA version and Auv3
    version in separate channels in AUM.

One can be configured for vocals and the other to record synths for instance.

I may try that later on this week.

• It’s great that AUv3 was added. But for now... on the iPad I think I still prefer the IAA floating window method. I don’t really need more than one instance anyway and it seems to still be very stable in IAA

• Thanks for your patience everyone. This is as frustrating for me as it is for you. After finishing the update, I dedicated 3 weeks solely to testing on different devices and fixing bugs. I went through 14 versions of the same update before my 20 beta testers confirmed that they found no more issues.

Needless to say, after all this it’s pretty crazy that the app is crashing for some of you without you taking any action. At the moment I have no idea what could be causing this, but I’ll look into it.

If you have crash logs or specific steps to reproduce crashes, emailing them to me at [email protected] would help out a lot.

Thanks again for your patience.

• @danielfromcodalabs

Whenever I start a new session
    whether it’s L7 or BM3 etc
    I always reset the memory
    which could be a factor for others.

• edited January 2020

Thanks for your patience everyone. This is as frustrating for me as it is for you. After finishing the update, I dedicated 3 weeks solely to testing on different devices and fixing bugs. I went through 14 versions of the same update before my 20 beta testers confirmed that they found no more issues.

Needless to say, after all this it’s pretty crazy that the app is crashing for some of you without you taking any action. At the moment I have no idea what could be causing this, but I’ll look into it.

If you have crash logs or specific steps to reproduce crashes, emailing them to me at [email protected] would help out a lot.

Ok... I think I've narrowed my crashing down to the use of a certain app. I just got it recently so I've been using it a lot lately for beats. It's the PlayBeat app. It's the one that's crashing L7 whether I'm recording loops from it solo, or adding it to other loops.

PlayBeats works fine for me other wise.. but it consistently crashes L7 for some reason.

When it crashes, it corrupts the session. If I can get to the sessions panel fast before it crashes, create a new session, then delete the corrupted session, it'll work fine without delete/reinstall.

I thought it had to do with mixing apps that need the playhead running, but I tried Ruismaker Noir, and Pure Acid. Neither of those crashes L7. ONLY when I'm using PlayBeats so far. Other synths I've tried seem to be fine too.

This was on an iPhone 7plus iOS 13.3. I believe it was also Playbeats that was running when L7 crashed on the iPad Pro too.

Hope that helps.

• @skiphunt said:

Thanks for your patience everyone. This is as frustrating for me as it is for you. After finishing the update, I dedicated 3 weeks solely to testing on different devices and fixing bugs. I went through 14 versions of the same update before my 20 beta testers confirmed that they found no more issues.

Ok... I think I've narrowed my crashing down to the use of a certain app. I just got it recently so I've been using it a lot lately for beats. It's the PlayBeat app. It's the one that's crashing L7 whether I'm recording loops from it solo, or adding it to other loops.

PlayBeats works fine for me other wise.. but it consistently crashes L7 for some reason.

When it crashes, it corrupts the session. If I can get to the sessions panel fast before it crashes, create a new session, then delete the corrupted session, it'll work fine without delete/reinstall.

I thought it had to do with mixing apps that need the playhead running, but I tried Ruismaker Noir, and Pure Acid. Neither of those crashes L7. ONLY when I'm using PlayBeats so far. Other synths I've tried seem to be fine too.

This was on an iPhone 7plus iOS 13.3. I believe it was also Playbeats that was running when L7 crashed on the iPad Pro too.

Hope that helps.

Playbeat also crashes Cubasis‘ Inputs when I route several channels from AUM into CB ,,, at least for me ,,,

Would love it otherwise - but this behavior is really annoying ,,, since re-wiring everything just in the moment of recording goes really on my nerves ...

• @danielfromcodalabs said:

@gdog said:
    Thanks for the reply @danielfromcodalabs 👍

Not sure if I understand. Seems like this is a problem with DigiStix, not L7. Could you email me a video? [email protected]

Sent, hope it helps 👍

• @skiphunt said:

Hope that helps.

Playbeats is unstable for me in AUM. It can crash out and need to be reloaded if it is sitting around unused.

Hope this helps.