Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Takete ♾ on sale at $45 ???

Does anyone own this app? What’s the USP that would get me to shell out that kind of money?

I installed the free version and it doesn’t seem to do anything one couldn’t also do with Launchpad for example (minus the graphics). So, what gives?

«1

Comments

  • It’s pretty deep, there’s some videos on the YouTube channel with some demos. I think it’s worth but it’s a pretty niche app so I could see a lot of people not needing it at the price. I love it and bought it as $60 and would do it again but not everyone might agree. Here’s the link to the channel https://www.youtube.com/user/RefinedStochastic

  • @JackDwyerburger said:
    It’s pretty deep, there’s some videos on the YouTube channel with some demos. I think it’s worth but it’s a pretty niche app so I could see a lot of people not needing it at the price. I love it and bought it as $60 and would do it again but not everyone might agree. Here’s the link to the channel https://www.youtube.com/user/RefinedStochastic

    Thanks. Will check it out later. Just to be sure: I am not complaining about the price, just wondering what I might get for it.

  • There’s a free version to try out. Not sure how it compares to the paid version though.

  • I watched this video last night, and bought it this morning.

  • edited January 18

    @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Does anyone own this app? What’s the USP that would get me to shell out that kind of money?

    I installed the free version and it doesn’t seem to do anything one couldn’t also do with Launchpad for example (minus the graphics). So, what gives?

    If you’re going to get it to use just for the basic granular synth, drum machine, sequencer and audio file player, I’d say don’t bother. The real magic comes in when you realize Takete is also an 8 channel audio reactive video mixer with macros.

  • @philowerx said:

    @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Does anyone own this app? What’s the USP that would get me to shell out that kind of money?

    I installed the free version and it doesn’t seem to do anything one couldn’t also do with Launchpad for example (minus the graphics). So, what gives?

    If you’re going to get it to use just for the basic granular synth, drum machine, sequencer and audio file player, I’d say don’t bother. The real magic comes in when you realize Takete is also an 8 channel audio reactive video mixer with macros.

    Thank you. After watching a few videos that is what I gathered. Pretty impressive and $45 is perfectly justified. Alas, I don’t see how I’d use it right now.

  • Noticed Takete is now on sale for $12.99. I think that's the lowest it's ever been. I hope that doesn't mean it's being prepped for the abandonware pile.

    It was updated to the current version back in January I think. I've played with the free versions in the past and briefly beta tested the iPhone version.

    I've never quite figured out the interface completely... but I've always recognized it's great potential for audio reactive graphics and video.

    Decided to take a gamble it's still going to be supported and pulled the trigger. Hope the learning curve is a little softened this time from my previous attempts. ;)

    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1012637066?ign-mpt=uo=4

  • @skiphunt said:
    Noticed Takete is now on sale for $12.99. I think that's the lowest it's ever been. I hope that doesn't mean it's being prepped for the abandonware pile.

    It was updated to the current version back in January I think. I've played with the free versions in the past and briefly beta tested the iPhone version.

    I've never quite figured out the interface completely... but I've always recognized it's great potential for audio reactive graphics and video.

    Decided to take a gamble it's still going to be supported and pulled the trigger. Hope the learning curve is a little softened this time from my previous attempts. ;)

    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1012637066?ign-mpt=uo=4

    when you say reactive graphics does that mean that the app creates some graphics to go with the audio it's reacting to or that it turns footage that you've recorded into some kind of reactive graphics?

  • @kobamoto said:

    @skiphunt said:
    Noticed Takete is now on sale for $12.99. I think that's the lowest it's ever been. I hope that doesn't mean it's being prepped for the abandonware pile.

    It was updated to the current version back in January I think. I've played with the free versions in the past and briefly beta tested the iPhone version.

    I've never quite figured out the interface completely... but I've always recognized it's great potential for audio reactive graphics and video.

    Decided to take a gamble it's still going to be supported and pulled the trigger. Hope the learning curve is a little softened this time from my previous attempts. ;)

    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1012637066?ign-mpt=uo=4

    when you say reactive graphics does that mean that the app creates some graphics to go with the audio it's reacting to or that it turns footage that you've recorded into some kind of reactive graphics?

    Mostly footage that you record or acquire from somewhere. The program only come with a few example graphics to get you started.

  • edited May 21

    @kobamoto said:

    @skiphunt said:
    Noticed Takete is now on sale for $12.99. I think that's the lowest it's ever been. I hope that doesn't mean it's being prepped for the abandonware pile.

    It was updated to the current version back in January I think. I've played with the free versions in the past and briefly beta tested the iPhone version.

    I've never quite figured out the interface completely... but I've always recognized it's great potential for audio reactive graphics and video.

    Decided to take a gamble it's still going to be supported and pulled the trigger. Hope the learning curve is a little softened this time from my previous attempts. ;)

    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1012637066?ign-mpt=uo=4

    when you say reactive graphics does that mean that the app creates some graphics to go with the audio it's reacting to or that it turns footage that you've recorded into some kind of reactive graphics?

    You can have the graphics or video that come with it OR graphics or video that you import... apply various effects that react to the audio. I'm only interested in being able to use my own graphics and video.

    I'm only vaguely familiar with this app. I'll be watching all the videos on his YouTube channel to get up to speed. It's actually a very impressive app. I never felt as a "hobbiest" that it justified the high cost he's been asking for years. I think at one point it was around $70.

    I do think that for what it does... if you are an electronic musician performing live and want interesting graphics to project during your set... and, if you can get used to his somewhat idiosyncratic interface... that it's probably worth the $70 price it was at one point.

    For someone like me who just likes screwing around making weird little art pieces using my own images and video... provided he continues to support it... seems like a steal at $12.99

  • thank you both, hack/skip

  • Is there something like this that works with your own audio? Either live input or imported audio file?

  • @Ailerom said:
    Is there something like this that works with your own audio? Either live input or imported audio file?

    I believe you can with this. You can import in from audioshare, audio paste, and itunes. I have figured out how to do it yet though.

  • That sounds promising. Would be good to have a simple way to create a filmclip for YouTube. Will check out some YouTube tutes to see if it does what I want.

  • @Ailerom said:
    That sounds promising. Would be good to have a simple way to create a filmclip for YouTube. Will check out some YouTube tutes to see if it does what I want.

    I just wish it was better documented. It took me forever to figure out why my imported audio files weren't playing... kept saying the sample rate wasn't supported. Looks like they have to be 16bit 44.1k. No problem with that, but I wish I didn't have to discover that after lots of trial and error. A manual that actually spelled that out would be nice.

    It's aggravating, but I knew that going in. As mentioned, I played with it a good deal in the past. I knew that it wasn't going to be a walk in the park learning how it works... but I've seen enough to know that for me at least... what it's capable of will be worth the pain. Fingers crossed. ;)

    That said... I think it will actually do what you want it to do. It looks like you can even record into it via Audiobus.

  • Can you sequence the video clips in the sequncer?
    I don't think you can after studying it for a bit...I don't have the full version, but watched most of the videos and played a fair bit with the demo.

    I nearly bought it but have held off for now as I think it might go in my unused pile pretty quickly. It does work quite well on iPhone though which is a plus :)

  • edited May 22

    @Carnbot said:
    Can you sequence the video clips in the sequncer?
    I don't think you can after studying it for a bit...I don't have the full version, but watched most of the videos and played a fair bit with the demo.

    I nearly bought it but have held off for now as I think it might go in my unused pile pretty quickly. It does work quite well on iPhone though which is a plus :)

    you may have already seen this, but you can control video clips with 3 "Controllers' . External Midi, Matrix and Touch, which have some potential, but not sequence the clip as such

    If you haven’t found them, you get at the controllers on the clip edit page, tap the box next to Controller (user the list in he screen shot)

    Also the video clips can be triggered in interesting ways in relation to the audio clips, this stuff is just a bit lower on the above screen

    It’s also possible to automate the video effects but I’ll have to get back to you, I forgot how (it’s been a minute since I had a binge periodontal this app)

  • edited May 22

    @Carnbot said:
    Can you sequence the video clips in the sequncer?
    I don't think you can after studying it for a bit...I don't have the full version, but watched most of the videos and played a fair bit with the demo.

    I nearly bought it but have held off for now as I think it might go in my unused pile pretty quickly. It does work quite well on iPhone though which is a plus :)

    I've hesitated for a loooong time on this one. Never found the interface very intuitive (though some parts are), and the price was more than I was willing to spend.

    I'm glad I finally picked it up. I think once I get over the interface strangeness... I'll get a lot of creative use from it. I like that fact that you can sort of play the video clips, launch on/off, while they're being effected by effects, change parameters for everything live on the fly AND record the whole thing into an exportable piece.

    The potential seemed worth the $12.99 gamble to me. And, the fact I haven't ever forgotten about this one since I was first interested about 3 years ago.

  • @Carnbot
    I just posted a query on the takete forum, http://refinedstochastic.com/phpBB3/index.php

    I’ve usually sent the dev emails for questions (He’s good at following up) but I thought I’d try the forum this time...

  • @skiphunt said:

    @Carnbot said:
    Can you sequence the video clips in the sequncer?
    I don't think you can after studying it for a bit...I don't have the full version, but watched most of the videos and played a fair bit with the demo.

    I nearly bought it but have held off for now as I think it might go in my unused pile pretty quickly. It does work quite well on iPhone though which is a plus :)

    I've hesitated for a loooong time on this one. Never found the interface very intuitive (though some parts are), and the price was more than I was willing to spend.

    I'm glad I finally picked it up. I think once I get over the interface strangeness... I'll get a lot of creative use from it. I like that fact that you can sort of play the video clips, launch on/off, while they're being effected by effects, change parameters for everything live on the fly AND record the whole thing into an exportable piece.

    The potential seemed worth the $12.99 gamble to me. And, the fact I haven't ever forgotten about this one since I was first interested about 3 years ago.

    Is this just for live performance or can it render to file?

  • Been tempted by this one for years, but the Lite version put me off as I hadn’t a clue what was going on.

    Been a naff week, so might get this tonight if I get drunk enough.

  • @Littlewoodg said:

    @Carnbot said:
    Can you sequence the video clips in the sequncer?
    I don't think you can after studying it for a bit...I don't have the full version, but watched most of the videos and played a fair bit with the demo.

    I nearly bought it but have held off for now as I think it might go in my unused pile pretty quickly. It does work quite well on iPhone though which is a plus :)

    you may have already seen this, but you can control video clips with 3 "Controllers' . External Midi, Matrix and Touch, which have some potential, but not sequence the clip as such

    If you haven’t found them, you get at the controllers on the clip edit page, tap the box next to Controller (user the list in he screen shot)

    Also the video clips can be triggered in interesting ways in relation to the audio clips, this stuff is just a bit lower on the above screen

    It’s also possible to automate the video effects but I’ll have to get back to you, I forgot how (it’s been a minute since I had a binge periodontal this app)

    Thanks for the info, so you should be able to toggle the clips on and off with the matrix? That looks promising...

  • I think there’s a free trial period that might be worth a shot before buying this, might try it myself if I get a chance this weekend...

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @skiphunt said:

    @Carnbot said:
    Can you sequence the video clips in the sequncer?
    I don't think you can after studying it for a bit...I don't have the full version, but watched most of the videos and played a fair bit with the demo.

    I nearly bought it but have held off for now as I think it might go in my unused pile pretty quickly. It does work quite well on iPhone though which is a plus :)

    I've hesitated for a loooong time on this one. Never found the interface very intuitive (though some parts are), and the price was more than I was willing to spend.

    I'm glad I finally picked it up. I think once I get over the interface strangeness... I'll get a lot of creative use from it. I like that fact that you can sort of play the video clips, launch on/off, while they're being effected by effects, change parameters for everything live on the fly AND record the whole thing into an exportable piece.

    The potential seemed worth the $12.99 gamble to me. And, the fact I haven't ever forgotten about this one since I was first interested about 3 years ago.

    Is this just for live performance or can it render to file?

    It can record audio, video, or both and you can store these files in the areas available to the Files app or send videos to the Photos app.

  • edited May 22

    @Carnbot
    i checked with the dev on the Takete forum about the controllers listed for Video clips. He said the touch controller and the midi are in play, the matrix is undefined for video. The touch controller actually toggles the clip on and off...(the other controller is the “file player” that has speed and randomization support)

    the dev also linked a video in his reply showing how to set up automation macros in app for the video fx (which opens up all manner of crazyness)

    the thing i always for get is that each thing including fx controllers can be an object on the play surface (the video shows this)

  • edited May 22

    @Littlewoodg said:
    @Carnbot
    i checked with the dev on the Takete forum about the controllers listed for Video clips. He said the touch controller and the midi are in play, the matrix is undefined for video. The touch controller actually toggles the clip on and off...(the other controller is the “file player” that has speed and randomization support)

    the dev also linked a video in his reply showing how to set up automation macros in app for the video fx (which opens up all manner of crazyness)

    the thing i always for get is that each thing including fx controllers can be an object on the play surface (the video shows this)

    Thanks, I've loaded the free trial for a try out. I've noticed quite a major bug already, on 12.9 ipad the video is in a box off centre to the left and doesn't fill the screen which is not right as it clips off the edge. it's fine on Air 2 though and iphone. This puts me off though as I'd be using it on 12.9, unless there's a setting for maxing the video to the display.

  • So this is the video image I get:

  • I can't unlock the iPhone trial version either, seems to be quite a lot of bugs present unfortunately. I guess not a big enough user base to catch all the bugs?

  • Just curious, how does Takete compare to JammPro? Seem like some similar concepts here.

  • @Carnbot said:
    So this is the video image I get:

    Crap. I know that my vertical iPhone movies have a fill-the-screen support

    might be worth writing the dev on his forum, he got back to me immediately. Seems a quick patch is in order

Sign In or Register to comment.