Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mononoke launched - This is the best news ever!!!

Comments

• Mononoke is pure fun. It’s great, but even if it were the worst app in the Appstore, I would buy it immediately just to show how grateful I am to @Brambos for all his other wonderful apps.

My brambos collection is complete again.

• If you feel Mononoke's sound is a little tame, switch feedback mode to "Warp" and try hitting some nasty sweet spots between voices.

By moving your fingers up/down the pads (or on your MPE controller) you can control the timbre and behavior of the feedback howl.

Different intervals between tuning of the voices will have radically different effects.

• I really like it as a "one-trick pony". Sometimes I get drowned in all those features and choices you have in regular synths. Like having a certain guitar or bass, that gives you "that" sound or ending up playing the mandolin rather the bouzouki.

And yet, @brambos what would it take to be able to play regular notes (with a controller, MPE or not; with a sequencer) and not being limited to the playing surface quantisation?

As it is now, I see as a blues harmonica, which can only be played in certain keys. I'm asking if it can be turned into a chromatic harmonica? I guess this is what @sclurbs is commenting too.

PS: It definitely works as a plucked instrument too, short notes with no attack and short release.
    PS2: I see this on desktop too, fed by my Linnstrument and what the heck, as a hardware too!

• @oat_phipps said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@zeropoint said:

@richardyot said:
    The good:

It's really cool the way you can just hold one damn note on an MPE controller app like KB-1 and let it evolve. Also this begs for FX apps, putting Electrogene after it is really really cool. Add some delay and reverb, and noodle away.

The less good:

I do wish there was a little more variety in the sound engine - a lot of the presets sound very similar to each other. I'll have a dig around creating my own, but so far it does seem to be a bit of a one-trick pony, even if the trick is very nice. I was hoping for a greater variety of textures, but at least Electrogene and also the Spectrum Granular FX are helping me out here.

Agreed. I am struggling getting much modulation going on, or rather what modulation there is seems very samey. I was expecting more from it and at the moment I feel I can get way more interesting atmospheres with a couple of choice samples in Spacecraft. Am I doing something wrong ? Does MPE really open it up ?

My view also so far.

The fun is in the patience of being deliberate and learning how to get those maximum feedback swells when you want them, in my opinion. Also, the real time semi-tone tuning switching is a lot of fun for getting a drone out of a rut. However, it’s not a thousand hour zen box and I chuckle at all the people who were ready to let this make an album for them. It does what it does really well, but like you guys I find it very limited timbrally at this point.

I can get an album out of the woman next door, coughing on her morning fag. Though I grant you it’s not an album most would want to listen to.

I get it’s a feedback instrument and needs to be played, and definitely getting some interesting sounds from it, though I would like some more colour to the palette. The strength in this one will be using it as a sound generator, and putting it through a bank of fx - let it do its thing while you go and twiddle the dials on pitch shifters, filters, reverbs, loopers and delays.

I’ll get an album out of this for sure, and it’ll give next door’s lungs a rest, until the next one.

• @wim said:
    I felt like it was pretty limited until I dug into the manual. That was when I realized you have to put just about every engrained idea about synthesis and instruments aside and just start abusing the feedback routing to start making noise. It’s almost like you need to forget that those pads are notes, and think of them more like fm modulators of each other. The mood knob and the growl/warp settings are also big ways to get a broader range of sounds.

This isn’t going to be very popular with preset surfers, I think. It had me really wondering what all the fuss was about for about the first half hour. Now I really dig it. It’s like nothing else I have, and I think I really needed something like that about now.

This was really useful. Thanks @wim :)

• You are a boss, Mr. Bos. This thing sucked me right in and didn't allow me to stop noodling for more than two hours. I really like that one trick of the one trick pony and will be heavily abusing it.

Two little suggestions: Even with Mononoke, I tend to fit the sound into a tonal relationship with other instruments. Other iOS musicians might do that, too. Maybe you could consider to

• make the tuning knobs show which key they are tuned to at the moment without having to twist them first
    • implement an option to tune the whole thing up or down octave wise (in addition to turning the general tuning knob up or down)

If this was possible, great. If not, still great, of course! 🖖

• I wish Mononoke ignore tuning knobs and use incoming midi notes, when I play with external keyboard.
    Now I play for example C, but pitch is ignored and just triggers pad. It's very strange feeling.

• Today I will be doing a Live Stream with Mononoke at around 14.30 GMT (2.30 pm UK Time)
    I know this is way to early for the US but the video will remain on YouTube afterwards anyway if you want to watch it later.
    Normally I would stream at 8.00 pm UK but I can’t do a Live Stream this evening😊

• edited January 2020

@brambos, lovely app, super concept and really well implemented .
    I’d like to be able to select a scale and have the 8 pads populated with notes in the selected scale.
    Thanks

This would help me too

@brambos : can I second (Third? Fourth?) that emotion? As a musical klutz, I would find it very useful to have the option to constrain the pads to the same scale as I have selected for other apps playing along with Mononoke (I use your Scaler app from the Rozeta suite for this all the time, it’s basically in every AUM setup I do just to keep me honest/in tune) but, as you say, the particular joy of Mononoke is using it’s own pads, so I don’t want to run it from other MIDI sources, and, as far as I know, there’s no way I can use Scaler to enforce a scale within Mononoke itself? Just my two cents. I guess unless/until such a mod to Mononoke should occur I can look up the notes of a scale and manually enter them into each pad individually, but it would be great to have this as a drop down or something to save having to to do that... Loving it anyway! :)

• @TheVimFuego said:

I think it will be a cracking companion to one of my favourite (and underrated?) apps, Shoom.

To the F manual!

+1 on Shoom.

• @brambos
    So now we have:

• West Coast Synthesis
    • East Coast Synthesis
    • Dutch Coast Synthesis
  • edited January 2020

Long, rambling space voyage in Mononoke, culminating in a crash landing. Then being eaten alive by hibernating aliens that were accidentally woken by the clamor. Luckily, this audio survived, lol.

(If you hear siren-like noises, it could be coming from this video. Or there may be police in your driveway. Might want to peek outside, just in case... 😳)

And here’s bits of that session chopped, repitched, and occasionally reversed in Koala sampler. The first run is dry, the rest has all manner of bizarre FX.

• edited January 2020

Can someone more expert than me in Cubasis 3 tell me why loading Mononoke and recording from its onscreen pads is not being captured as MIDI by Cubasis (again, v3). It shows a loading symbol while recording as if its taking data, but after I hit stop there is no data there, and not even a blank MIDI file. MPE or MIDI mode makes no difference, I get nothing.

Is there a setting in Cubasis I’m missing? I thought it was pretty ‘fire it up and get going’.

• edited January 2020

@oat_phipps said:
    Can someone more expert than me in Cubasis 3 tell me why loading Mononoke and recording from its onscreen pads is not being captured as MIDI by Cubasis (again, v3). It shows a loading symbol while recording as if its taking data, but after I hit stop there is no data there, and not even a blank MIDI file. MPE or MIDI mode makes no difference, I get nothing.

Is there a setting in Cubasis I’m missing? I thought it was pretty ‘fire it up and get going’.

I’ve tested in Cubasis 2, where it works as you’d expect: fire it up and get going. Not sure if there’s an MPE specific setting in Cubasis 3 you have to make first?

(Beside arm the track for recording MIDI)

• edited January 2020

@oat_phipps have you clicked MIDI on the mononoke panel ?

it’s working great in xequence2, stepbud, collider etc

• @mlau said:
    @oat_phipps have you clicked MIDI on the mononoke panel ?

Yes

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Will there be patch sharing? Thinking as regards Mister Yot's comments...more importantly (perhaps) we now have our collaborative album title sorted:

mixtapes for suicide breakfast

You're welcome lol

• @brambos said:

@Imhodef said:
    Is this useful for anything other than Yoga and mixtapes for suicide breakfast with your cult mates? Well maybe corny horror flicks. The 1 minute video wasn't so impressive. seems overpriced considering there are other apps that "drone" i'd buy it at half the price.

I recommend skipping this one. It’s not for everyone I suppose! :)

Sorry for the shade. I have every other app you've made. The price on this is a bit on the high side for what it does in my opinion. I'll be on the lookout for new plugs as always

• @brambos , there seems something wrong with automating Mononoke's AU parameters (in AUM): I'm using Rozeta LFO and midiLFOs and they send CC values from resp. min/max 0 - 127, but Mononoke wants CC values from 0 - 1... So every LFOwaveform that I use sets the Mononoke parameter to 0! And there's no automation. I hope you can look into this.

• @Harro said:
    @brambos , there seems something wrong with automating Mononoke's AU parameters (in AUM): I'm using Rozeta LFO and midiLFOs and they send CC values from resp. min/max 0 - 127, but Mononoke wants CC values from 0 - 1... So every LFOwaveform that I use sets the Mononoke parameter to 0! And there's no automation. I hope you can look into this.

Already fixed! Update incoming shortly! Thanks :)

• i think this synth is fkn perfect , a job well done here bram bos
    it gets right to the point and has a very distinct, electrical sound that can go deep into the vastness of the void.
    i’ve discovered a cool trick to get a nice little psycho killer, horror film, plucky knife stab that leaves mononokes pads dripping the brains of your enemy 😅😎
    a quick example on the right most keys below...
    sorry for the quality here (lots of clipping distortion) i am still cleaning up the crime scene and enjoying my morning coffee.
    i won’t tell you how it’s done as that is incriminating but if you go over the video the evidence is there.

• Some late night chaos w/ mononoke / samplr / digistix / Ruismaker & a lot more

• Wow @iOSTRAKON , that left me breathless....

• Glad you liked it @Harro / it got a little out of control but it was worth it

@Harro said:
    Wow @iOSTRAKON , that left me breathless....

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Some late night chaos w/ mononoke / samplr / digistix / Ruismaker & a lot more

Nice job! That was powerful.

• After a trip to the doctor to see if I have a wonky heart, this machine is beginning to sound like the inside of my head!!

• Here is the Live Stream Tutorial from a bit earlier

• @iOSTRAKON said:

Holy crap, dude! That was awesome.

• Thanks @kgmessier ! Mononoke was the missing ingredient to this track

@kgmessier said:

@iOSTRAKON said:

Holy crap, dude! That was awesome.

• Major bug when Mononoke is being used as an AUv3 you can’t assign notes to the pads, because the note display is on the other (hidden) screen, on the synth.