Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mononoke launched - This is the best news ever!!!

Comments

• @gusgranite said:

@SilentObserver said:
    @brambos is it me, or are the note indications off by a tritone?! If I select a pad and adjust the tuning, say to where the display says C for example, the actual pitch sounded is F#! Very, very strange...

The Fine Tune affects all pads I think. Is that slightly off centre?

No I checked that. It's not a big deal as I can manually tune pads to be whatever I want so that it works with other synths etc, but the display is a little off-putting!

• Just had a blast on my evening commute in Los Angeles, dark ambient waves rattling the windows when you hit the pad just right. Can’t wait to feed this through more effects!

• @SilentObserver said:
    @brambos is it me, or are the note indications off by a tritone?! If I select a pad and adjust the tuning, say to where the display says C for example, the actual pitch sounded is F#! Very, very strange...

Yep, same here.
    If I init the patch and reset (double tap) the tune on a key the display says Gb, but it's C.

• edited January 2020

@SanMateo said:
    It pairs well with the new eventide spring reverb. Really great job @brambos 🎉

Yum! Turns out the kind of scrumptious, filthy midrange resonance Eventide Spring can generate is a match made in heaven for Mononoke!

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    For those who find modulations samey... make sure you RT(f)M to understand the feedback routes and tune your keys according to what you're after (dissonance vs +harmonics) that way additional timbres can be achieved.
    Also this synth is mostly about playing via built in keyboard or mpe enabled stuff, rather than feeding with 'regular' midi notes.
    It is focused, but also unique because of how the voices interact with each other.
    It is its own category... Like blackhole vs other reverbs, where it fits it can't be replaced, but not meant to be a general purpose tool

Read the manual? That's crazy talk!

• edited January 2020

@skiphunt said:
    Hearing a lot of samey-ness. I like what I hear... but it all sounds kind of similar. I'm referring to demos that are mostly the Mononoke synth producing the sound. The ones that are pumping it through a ton of effects don't really tell that much.

Some in this thread who've purchased Mononoke have eluded to this samey-ness too.

That being said... the description says it sends midi out I think. So, can Mononoke be used to drive other synths too? If so, can you turn off the internal sound engine and just use it as a controller? If you can use it solely as a controller, is it unique as a controller alone?

I like the hold buttons on each pad.

@JohnnyGoodyear @zeropoint

Think of this one more like an instrument than a typical synth: a violin sounds like a violin (at least using traditional techniques); but within the boundaries of recognizable violin sound it has a truly immense palette of sounds. What's really exciting to me is how most of the sound sculpting happens in the interaction between notes played on different pads, as you move your fingers on them. Two things that might be worth trying out:

• Try using Mononoke in the "pads" tab only for a while, with the filters wide open, and the modulators, ambience and mood completely off. As others have pointed out, that's where the sound sculpting and modulation action really is with this synth. (Not just the pads, the feedback, pitch knobs (+ switch), and the growl/warp modes. Those determine how the pads interact..) That should help get a feel for what this monster can do. From there, you could focus on what the Mood and Ambience knobs can add to the equation. They both extend and magnify what you can get from the interractions between the pads.
    • YMMV, but it might help to take a peek at Soma Labs Lyra-8, which Mononoke seems heavily inspired by. (In the best way, imo: not a copy, but an inspired tribute and interpretation for the touch screen AUv3 paradigm.) Thing is, there's a lot of resources out there about Lyra-8's sonic potential, and about the approach to sound shaping. (Lyra-8 is an important instrument to understand what's happening in music tech ATM, so it's also worth knowing about for its own sake.) This might give you inspiration for finding ways to connect with Mononoke—or not, it's the kind of unique beast that isn't everyone's cup of tea.
  • edited January 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2020

Yeah, I can't make a sound that doesn't really sound the same. But I fully expected that to the case and what it does do it does well.

My only point of confusion is that whatever note I press on my Linnstrument seems to not matter, it just decides what note to play on it's own. Like its mapped to a scale. But I Dont know what scale it is or how to change it easily besides those little sliders above each pad in the synth

Anyone know of a solution?

• @StudioES said:
    Great niche synth for setting the mood of a song, or for meditation/reflection/conjuring evil spirits. (Forgive me, I watched Midsommar & Hereditary recently). The bottom-half is very similiar to the Make Noise Pressure Points (+ quantizer). The feedback & saturation tones are excellent, as is its manual - Thanks for taking the time to write one.

@0tolerance4silence said:

@SilentObserver said:

Yep, same here.
    If I init the patch and reset (double tap) the tune on a key the display says Gb, but it's C.

In NOTE Mode, Eb = 440 Hz.
    In FREE mode, ~458 = ~440 Hz.
    Tested in AUM at 44.1 & 48 kHz, same results.

Same here

• Recorded another lil sesh. Seems to pair well with Bleass Sidekick.

• @brambos what the Rate number values signify? Is it possible to sync them to tempo or to work out divisions front the number?

• edited January 2020

Hard to get a read on this one from the feedback in this thread. That’s not a criticism. Seems some say it’s basically just fun. Some think it’s a one-trick pony. Others describe what sounds like a potentially deep environment to explore.

At the end of the day, there’s Brambos’ previous offerings and pedigree that goes back way before iOS sound apps. I think I read he said that he worked on this for several months. So, with that I’m pretty intrigued to see what sort of sonic magic he was able to conjure and forge.

Tempted to pull the trigger right now but its nearly midnight already and I don’t want to end up tinkering until 4am. ;)

Thanks for all the preliminary feedback all!

• @skiphunt said:
    Hard to get a read on this one from the feedback in this thread. That’s not a criticism. Seems some say it’s basically just fun. Some think it’s a one-trick pony. Others describe what sounds like a potentially deep environment to explore.

At the end of the day, there’s Brambos’ previous offerings and pedigree that goes back way before iOS sound apps. I think I read he said that he worked on this for several months. So, with that I’m pretty intrigued to see what sort of sonic magic he was able to conjure and forge.

Tempted to pull the trigger right now but its nearly midnight already and I don’t want to end up tinkering until 4am. ;)

Thanks for all the preliminary feedback all!

Its amazing. Just buy it.

• Its just where I have a melody going on and for some reason a delay effect makes a kick ( which can be added normally )

I like tracks made with just a synth for some reason.

• Couldn’t wait until daybreak. Yup. This is cool!

Using a couple instances to also play several other MPE synths: Shockwave, Volt, Geoshred, Quanta & Continua.

Wow!

• I felt like it was pretty limited until I dug into the manual. That was when I realized you have to put just about every engrained idea about synthesis and instruments aside and just start abusing the feedback routing to start making noise. It’s almost like you need to forget that those pads are notes, and think of them more like fm modulators of each other. The mood knob and the growl/warp settings are also big ways to get a broader range of sounds.

This isn’t going to be very popular with preset surfers, I think. It had me really wondering what all the fuss was about for about the first half hour. Now I really dig it. It’s like nothing else I have, and I think I really needed something like that about now.

• Bought it...haven’t been able to tame it musically yet...but I’ll shall keep trying 😂

• One good way to get a feeling for the way the controls interact is to set a few nots going on hold, then mess with different settings. You can “play” it just as well that way as with the pads.

• @skiphunt said:

I think it's all those 3 at the same time.
    It's definitely fun, not as versatile as your go to synth and it requires a different approach so plenty of room for exploration.

• Can Mozaic generate valid MPE? Just curious. The right folks are here to save me the time.

Great app. Congratulations. Really unique design and sound engine... again.

• This sounds like an icegear synth in the demos.

Is it in any way predictable or always randomly different? Ie. If I trigger long notes on it with a midi track, will it sound the same each time I press play on the song?

• @brambos

Don't know if it's time, so I'll leave my FR for consideration :)

-depending on the mode - presets for tuning (scales/micro tuning)
    -option to detach the voice from output mix to be used as mod only
    -global hold release button
    -user defined pitch bend range with the crazy option where it would adopt the tuning so you can get to the next key by bending its neighbor

• Calling it a one-trick pony is fair. Like a Theremin or a Ukelele it has a narrow range of how it can sound, it's more about how you play those strings. And if you don't like the basic character of the sound, I guess this one will have less appeal.

One trick pony also doesn't really make for good marketing copy ("Fender Stratocaster: one trick pony that really opens up when you add effects!") so I rather focus on what it is designed to do. ;)

The reason that the performance pads, the feedback and the tuning are all grouped in the same UI panel is not by accident: this is where you're supposed to focus your attention. Ironically, the synth part is really secondary in this synth. :)

So I can see how someone triggers Mononoke with a sequencer, thinks "meh" and moves on. I really encourage everyone to first spend time with the pads (or an MPE controller) first. It's really about the interaction B)

• edited January 2020

I must say, I love your apps! I have quite a few (Noir, Ripplemaker, Rozeta, and Kosmonaut) and I love the style of your synths / effects. They feel like real instruments and not computer programs to me (I know, a paradox), which makes me look at them as creative tools and not something lesser than my modular or my drum machines. That said, I loved the announcement of Mononoke and was drawn in by the idea immediately.

I bought it as soon as it was available last night in the European shop and played around with it briefly, before going to bed. It was a joy to use and listen and I will sit down with a cup of coffee today and use it for my next Jamuary project. I don't need the next Minimoog copy as a soft synth. I need stuff like this, because if I would even try to build this with my modular, I would need tons of additional modules, so thank you, Bram! 10 is definitely not asked for too much for this cool drone synth!!! (Only problem: now I REALLY want an MPE controller, haha)

• @sclurbs said:
    Yeah, I can't make a sound that doesn't really sound the same. But I fully expected that to the case and what it does do it does well.

My only point of confusion is that whatever note I press on my Linnstrument seems to not matter, it just decides what note to play on it's own.

You can never trigger more than the 8 voices of the synth. Each MIDI key on your controller triggers one of the voices, but it really depends on the layout of your controller which voices are mapped to which key. I've arbitrarily mapped them so that the common Roli Lightpad Block is voice-mapped like this:

5 6 7 8
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8
    1 2 3 4

But it's really just a continuous mapping across the entire range of notes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 etc.

• @brambos, lovely app, super concept and really well implemented .
    I’d like to be able to select a scale and have the 8 pads populated with notes in the selected scale.
    Thanks

• edited January 2020

@SilentObserver said:

@gusgranite said:

@SilentObserver said:

The Fine Tune affects all pads I think. Is that slightly off centre?

No I checked that. It's not a big deal as I can manually tune pads to be whatever I want so that it works with other synths etc, but the display is a little off-putting!

I'll check it out. It's not unlikely that I changed the mapping scale and forgot to adjust the LCD display. I'll report a foot in mouth when confirmed :D

• edited January 2020

@brambos just to say great to see you here answering questions and giving feedback on use etc. Cheers

• @gsm909 said:
    @brambos, lovely app, super concept and really well implemented .
    I’d like to be able to select a scale and have the 8 pads populated with notes in the selected scale.
    Thanks

This would help me too

• I had to complete my Bram Bos collection on faith and having had a very brief play I think this rewards experimentation and will “play” like nothing else. One more nudge to finally getting a hardware MPE controller too.

It will probably sound broadly similar in timbre (as others have noted) but the experience will be in the tweaking and subtle selective evolutions of the sound. Preset surfers will probably get considerably less out of it.

Add in multiple instances as AU and happy times ahead.

I think it will be a cracking companion to one of my favourite (and underrated?) apps, Shoom.

To the F manual!