Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mononoke launched - This is the best news ever!!!

15678911»

Comments

• Love the 24 semitone pitch bend! Now it’s a cello violin steel guitar growling forest spirit!

• @wim said:

@Skyblazer said:

Interesting thought. Not as doable as you might think though.

To start with, there are only 8 pads, and chromatic scales are 12 notes.

Forgetting that for a minute and thinking only of 7 tone scales, one could send a cc mapped to the AU parameter knobs plus a note trigger for each key. But I fail to see the sense in doing that.

Mozaic isn’t magic. Can’t force apps to do things they specifically don’t allow.

This one's definitely possible. You would send a new CC message to a tuning knob, once before each NoteOn to the corresponding pad. The tuning knob + pad to receive the next value + note would be determined using the channel rotation algorithm, which doesn't do voice stealing. You would have four voice polyphony for each module. :smiley:

• @Skyblazer said:

@wim said:

@Skyblazer said:

Forgetting that for a minute and thinking only of 7 tone scales, one could send a cc mapped to the AU parameter knobs plus a note trigger for each key. But I fail to see the sense in doing that.

Mozaic isn’t magic. Can’t force apps to do things they specifically don’t allow.

This one's definitely possible. You would send a new CC message to a tuning knob, once before each NoteOn to the corresponding pad. The tuning knob + pad to receive the next value + note would be determined using the channel rotation algorithm, which doesn't do voice stealing. You would have four voice polyphony for each module. :smiley:

I didn’t say it wasn’t possible. In fact I said it was, in a limited sense.

• @wim said:

@Skyblazer said:

@wim said:

@Skyblazer said:

I didn’t say it wasn’t possible. In fact I said it was, in a limited sense.

You're not limited to 7 tone scales though, and four note polyphony is less of a limitation. You can force it to do exactly what it specifically doesn't allow.

And also, Mozaic is definitely magic.

• Have fun.

• @_ki @brambos i downloaded the script, and got mozaic... how can i upload the script into mozaic ? tx

• Mononoke + Effectrix = wowzers

• @mlau On IOS13, pressing the download button on patchstorage downloads the file into the iPads download folder. Navigate to this folder in the Files app, long pressing the file will open a dialog with the ‚Share‘ option. In the share dialog, select ‚Copy to Mozaic‘ and Mozaic standalone will open. The script isn‘t loaded yet, but stored in the presets. You can close Moazic.
    If your reopen hosts session with Mononoke and Mozaic AU, open Mozaic , press load and perhaps ‚Refresh‘ to update the AUs preset list and load the Mononoke-Smart-Tunings-v1.2 script.

Have fun

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2020

@wim and @Skyblazer I also though about adapting my poly voice redistribution script to Mononoke and add the tuning CCs - but i‘m still undecided (and have other scripts nearly ready to be published, or just in need of intro videos)

The way i would implement it would respect Mononokes two synth structure by offering a split point - up to four lower notes would play the left synth and up to four on the right synth. Pressing more than 4 notes in each half would do voice stealing. Retriggering a note would reuse the previous ‚synth note’.

MPE input would be supported withs its aftertouch and expressions. An MPE keyboard could be played expressive just like with the current 8 pads, but you decide about the played notes without fiddling the 8 tunings - just by pressing the MPEs keyboard keys. And if you want, you can change the notes and chords during the jam.

There are two drawbacks

• The script (and not the user like with pad play) would decide which of the 8 synth engines to trigger - the 3 layered feedback concept of Mononoke has a big influence on how the engines interact. The script would need to come up with a clever, deterministic strategy to still support this - otherwise one would not be able to ‚replay‘ a jam since Mononoke reacts differently on which of its engines are sounding together.
    • There‘s pitch sliding to be expected even for the initial notes as the script can‘t predict what keys will be pressed - let‘s define that as a feature. If you start with low velocity, its hopefully no that audible.

TL;DR
    Mononoke is a drone synth and meant to be played with long sustained, expressive keypresses of note combinations exploring the feedback in between its synth engines.
    @Skyblazer I don‘t think that a robin-round distribution of voice usage with tuning adaption will do it justice.

• @_ki thanks a lot !

• edited January 2020

@wim said:
    Mononoke + Effectrix = wowzers

Yeah I discovered that combo yesterday - turns it into a feedback groovebox. Really good.

• don’t forget to pair this with modley 😎

• @_ki said:
    @wim and @Skyblazer I also though about adapting my poly voice redistribution script to Mononoke and add the tuning CCs - but i‘m still undecided (and have other scripts nearly ready to be published, or just in need of intro videos)

The way i would implement it would respect Mononokes two synth structure by offering a split point - up to four lower notes would play the left synth and up to four on the right synth. Pressing more than 4 notes in each half would do voice stealing. Retriggering a note would reuse the previous ‚synth note’.

MPE input would be supported withs its aftertouch and expressions. An MPE keyboard could be played expressive just like with the current 8 pads, but you decide about the played notes without fiddling the 8 tunings - just by pressing the MPEs keyboard keys. And if you want, you can change the notes and chords during the jam.

There are two drawbacks

• The script (and not the user like with pad play) would decide which of the 8 synth engines to trigger - the 3 layered feedback concept of Mononoke has a big influence on how the engines interact. The script would need to come up with a clever, deterministic strategy to still support this - otherwise one would not be able to ‚replay‘ a jam since Mononoke reacts differently on which of its engines are sounding together.
    • There‘s pitch sliding to be expected even for the initial notes as the script can‘t predict what keys will be pressed - let‘s define that as a feature. If you start with low velocity, its hopefully no that audible.

TL;DR
    Mononoke is a drone synth and meant to be played with long sustained, expressive keypresses of note combinations exploring the feedback in between its synth engines.
    @Skyblazer I don‘t think that a robin-round distribution of voice usage with tuning adaption will do it justice.

Thanks for the analysis. So, I guess you would have to use the rest of the interface to augment that system, and it would become its own thing, something perhaps a little bit more awkward. You could have "OnPadDown, LastPad = The next knob+pad to be activated by the next NoteOn" (ChanSelect in Poly It Up)

I think it would be nice to have, but I don't plan to code it any time soon. Maybe eventually. It's the type of thing I'm interested in coding and playing with, but it's not the most necessary script.

• @_ki said:
    I scripted something to extend Mononokes expression possibilities

You can find the script at patchstorage.

The video was done with the old note-naming scheme - i adjusted the v1.1 of script to use the same note names as Mononoke v1.0.1

Thank you for this! really inspiring to use for me....

• edited January 2020

@_ki said:

There are two drawbacks

TL;DR

Love the option to shift between XY pad assignments on the other Mononoke script! Thank you!

Here’s a proposal for a deterministic voice allocation that keeps the feedback engine somewhat intuitive—not sure how practical it is, but maybe it’s a start?

1. As you suggest, Left/right engine assignment from a user defined note. (As a bonus, an option to transpose the left/right sides by a user defined amount might be great!)
    • Feedback knobs IIII>IIII straightforwardly control the feedback between notes on either side.
    1. Within each side/hand, voices are assigned in terms of when they are played (starting from no note/no key being held within the note’s side/hand (left or right)). The goal is to make I>I control feedback between the first two notes played (within a given side) and II>II between the first two and the third and fourth.

2. Assigning voices beyond the first 4 on each hand could use the following heuristic.

3.1. Fill pairs with an active pad before empty pairs. (So if we currently have an active note assigned to pad 4, and nothing else, new note goes to pad 3, not to 1 or 2.)

• This preserves the intuition that knob I>I determines how the new note interacts with the most recently activated note.

3.2. With an active note on each pair (Eg pads 2 and 3 are active), a new note is assigned to the most recently emptied slot. (Not sure about this tie breaker.)

• edited December 2023

Just got this a while ago and about to see what happens when WOOTT is added… I heard every time that happens, a kitten gets its wings