Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 and AmpliTube

Hi

Will AudioBus make it simple to use AmpliTube in Cubasis 3? I am struggling to use AmpliTube efficiently using Cubasis’s Inter-app facility.

Comments

• Thanks for your response. However, I have bought a few pieces of iOS software recently that have basically been a waste of money, for what I am trying to achieve. Will I, for example be able to use multiple instances of AmpliTube in the same Cubasis project and have different settings for each instance? Is anyone successfully doing this in Cubasis 3?

• @BillS said:
    Thanks for your response. However, I have bought a few pieces of iOS software recently that have basically been a waste of money, for what I am trying to achieve. Will I, for example be able to use multiple instances of AmpliTube in the same Cubasis project and have different settings for each instance? Is anyone successfully doing this in Cubasis 3?

This cannot be done until AmpliTube comes out with an AUv3 version. Right now, AmpliTube is IAA-only, which means you can only instantiate one instance.

• Thanks - exactly what I needed to know. Has there been any talk of an AUv3 version from IK Multimedia?

• Also, is there a decent iOS amp sim that will allow multiple instances using different settings? I got AmpliTube free when I bought iRig Pro so I don’t mind paying for another one!

• @BillS said:
    Thanks - exactly what I needed to know. Has there been any talk of an AUv3 version from IK Multimedia?

I believe one of the IK reps recently mentioned on this forum that they're aware of AUv3's importance and desirability. I hope that means they'll start reworking some of their stuff to AUv3.

Honestly, the fact that they're not AUv3 right now is the only thing stopping me from using AmpliTube on a regular basis. It's a great app with excellent IAP tone packs, but I'm trying to make my workflow as close to 100% AUv3 as I can, which puts AmpliTube and others like BIAS and ToneStack on the sidelines—hopefully only for the time being.

• @kgmessier said:

@BillS said:
    Thanks - exactly what I needed to know. Has there been any talk of an AUv3 version from IK Multimedia?

I believe one of the IK reps recently mentioned on this forum that they're aware of AUv3's importance and desirability. I hope that means they'll start reworking some of their stuff to AUv3.

Honestly, the fact that they're not AUv3 right now is the only thing stopping me from using AmpliTube on a regular basis. It's a great app with excellent IAP tone packs, but I'm trying to make my workflow as close to 100% AUv3 as I can, which puts AmpliTube and others like BIAS and ToneStack on the sidelines—hopefully only for the time being.

So what is your amp sim of choice right now for iOS?

• @BillS said:

I'm using Tonebridge primarily right now. I'm also beta-testing Gain Stage, so I'm hopeful that will be an appealing alternative. There are some idiosyncrasies with Tonebridge that make it imperfect, but the tones are nice.

• I believe Stark Amp is AUv3. That might work for your Cubasis needs.

• @Samflash3 said:
    I believe Stark Amp is AUv3. That might work for your Cubasis needs.

It is AUv3, but it's not going to be in the same league as something like AmpliTube.

• @BillS said:
    Thanks for your response. However, I have bought a few pieces of iOS software recently that have basically been a waste of money, for what I am trying to achieve. Will I, for example be able to use multiple instances of AmpliTube in the same Cubasis project and have different settings for each instance? Is anyone successfully doing this in Cubasis 3?

You could complete an IAA track, freeze the track to audio, pickle its audio into another track, thaw the IAA track, continue using the same IAA track for new recording (use like a new instance). Works?

• If you are a fan of Nembrini, they will be launching AUv3 versions of their amp sims. Igor hopes these to be available by the end of February. Their Marshall and Soldano VSTs are amazing!

• I'm not familiar with Nembrini, but I'll check them out.

• @kgmessier said:

@BillS said:

I'm using Tonebridge primarily right now. I'm also beta-testing Gain Stage, so I'm hopeful that will be an appealing alternative. There are some idiosyncrasies with Tonebridge that make it imperfect, but the tones are nice.

Thanks for the suggestion - playing around with Tonebridge on my iPad right now and it's sounding very good.

How do I save presets? There's something about publishing them which I don't want to do, just save them for my own use.

When I close the Tonebridge app and I carry on playing my guitar, it still processes the sound. Is it possible to stop this? For example, if I close Tonebridge and then open Cubasis, I am still getting the original processed sound from Tonebridge from when I had that app opened.

Is it possible to edit the Tonebridge app within Cubasis 3? I can't seem to do this - it seems to be "stuck" on one particular sound.

Is there a good Tonebridge tutorial somewhere? It's not quite as intuitive as I thought it would be! Thanks again.

• @BillS said:
    How do I save presets? There's something about publishing them which I don't want to do, just save them for my own use.

When I close the Tonebridge app and I carry on playing my guitar, it still processes the sound. Is it possible to stop this? For example, if I close Tonebridge and then open Cubasis, I am still getting the original processed sound from Tonebridge from when I had that app opened.

Is it possible to edit the Tonebridge app within Cubasis 3? I can't seem to do this - it seems to be "stuck" on one particular sound.

Is there a good Tonebridge tutorial somewhere? It's not quite as intuitive as I thought it would be! Thanks again.

Hi Bill,

Yeah, working with Tonebridge presets is pretty frustrating. Roughly speaking, you have to open Tonebridge in stand-alone (i.e., not as an AU within a host app), create / modify a preset, then save that preset to the Workshop. Once you've done that, close out of Tonebridge and launch it as an AU in your host app. When you search for your newly created / modified preset within the AU instance, it should show up first in the preset list. There's no need to publish the tone; as long as you saved it to the Workshop area, you're fine.

As for why you still hear the processed sound even after closing Tonebridge, that's a head-scratcher. I don't have Cubasis 3 (yet—waiting for the LE version so I can upgrade my Cubasis 2 LE app), so I can't address your particular situation. It may be that you've still got the stand-alone version running in the background. Are you loading Tonebridge in Cubasis as an audio unit or with inter-app audio?

• edited January 2020

@kgmessier said:

@BillS said:

Hi Bill,

Yeah, working with Tonebridge presets is pretty frustrating. Roughly speaking, you have to open Tonebridge in stand-alone (i.e., not as an AU within a host app), create / modify a preset, then save that preset to the Workshop. Once you've done that, close out of Tonebridge and launch it as an AU in your host app. When you search for your newly created / modified preset within the AU instance, it should show up first in the preset list. There's no need to publish the tone; as long as you saved it to the Workshop area, you're fine.

As for why you still hear the processed sound even after closing Tonebridge, that's a head-scratcher. I don't have Cubasis 3 (yet—waiting for the LE version so I can upgrade my Cubasis 2 LE app), so I can't address your particular situation. It may be that you've still got the stand-alone version running in the background. Are you loading Tonebridge in Cubasis as an audio unit or with inter-app audio?

Thanks, that’s great. I’m loading it as an audio unit. If I load with inter app audio, it seems hit and miss as to whether it works. I suspect that a lot of this is down to Cubasis 3 which unfortunately is full of bugs at the moment. I wouldn’t mind investing in another iOS DAW to test things - is MultiTrack DAW good? Or another one?

Anyway, I take your post as saying that all preset tweaking has to be done in the Tonebridge stand alone app, and it’s not possible inside the host. Fair enough. My “favourites” are showing up in the Cubasis so that’s good! However, my presets in the “workshop” are not...

Does AudioBus help in any of these situations, or should Cubasis / AmpliTube / Tonebridge talk to each other anyway?

And yes, it does seem that the standalone Tonebridge app continues to run in the background. I have to unplug my guitar to stop it doing so, which seems a bit drastic. Not the end of the world.

• @BillS said:
    Thanks, that’s great. I’m loading it as an audio unit. If I load with inter app audio, it seems hit and miss as to whether it works. I suspect that a lot of this is down to Cubasis 3 which unfortunately is full of bugs at the moment. I wouldn’t mind investing in another iOS DAW to test things - is MultiTrack DAW good? Or another one?

How well Tonebridge works as inter-app audio may have as much to do with the app itself or iOS as with the DAW. Lately, I've been using AUM almost exclusively, though I do have Cubasis 2 and Auria Pro. I like the elegance, simplicity, and reliability of AUM. I don't have MultiTrack DAW, but I've heard good things about it if what you're doing is audio (as opposed to MIDI).

@BillS said:
    Anyway, I take your post as saying that all preset tweaking has to be done in the Tonebridge stand alone app, and it’s not possible inside the host. Fair enough. My presets are showing up in the Cubasis so that’s good!

Yup, all that preset stuff has to happen in stand-alone. I wish that weren't the case, because I don't like having to jump out of AUM and running a second instance of Tonebridge just for the sake of tweaks, but as they say, it is what it is.

@BillS said:
    Does AudioBus help in any of these situations, or should Cubasis / AmpliTube / Tonebridge talk to each other anyway?

They should all talk to each other without the need for Audiobus. When inter-app audio is involved, which is the case with AmpliTube, things are a little less stable, but generally it works OK. If you're having issues there, most likely it's due to Cubasis 3 still having a few bugs.

@BillS said:
    And yes, it does seem that the standalone Tonebridge app continues to run in the background. I have to unplug my guitar to stop it doing so, which seems a bit drastic. Not the end of the world.

That's bizarre. I wonder if it has anything to do with Cubasis 3. I can try it with Cubasis 2 and see if it happens there.

• Actually my Tonebridge “favourites” are showing up in the Cubasis , however my presets in the “workshop” are not...Can I make presets that I make in the workshop "favourites"?

And AUM - what's your verdict? Pros/ cons?

Thanks again.

• I'm not sure how Cubasis handles Tonebridge favorites, but I know in AUM I have to search for my own presets to pull them up. (Tonebridge also shows the most recent presets I've used, so if I just created or modified one in stand-alone mode, it'll show up in the AUv3 version's list when I go to search for something.) You probably could make workshop presets favorites, but you'd probably have to mark them that way manually, which is probably a pain.

As for AUM, I love it because it suits my needs, but those needs are pretty limited: Generally, I'm just looking to route audio through various effects. Occasionally, I'll record something, but AUM's not the best tool for that. You can get recorded audio in and out of AUM, but you'll need something else to edit that audio (like AudioShare). If you're looking to work with multiple tracks, definitely look into a fully-fledged DAW like MultiTrack DAW or Auria. Cubasis 2 is good, but you have Cubasis 3, so if you can stand waiting till Steinberg works out the bugs there, you may want to pick up something like AUM in the meantime. It's a really beautiful tool, and I'm certain you'll find use for it even once Cubasis 3 stabilizes.

• By way of background, I have been using DAWs on Windows for 20 years, and these days run Studio One Pro in a dedicated studio with acoustic treatment, decent studio monitors, mics etc. I am songwriter first, guitarist second, vocalist third and general jack of all trades. I've recorded and released five albums over the years - these days it is very much for the pleasure of playing music, there are no commercial pretensions, and that makes it more fun than ever.

So, I know the world of DAWs, VSTs and so on, but I also travel a bit and hate being away from the studio! So only in the last few weeks, I have started exploring this new world (to me) of making music on an iPad! Luckily, I normally have access to a guitar or two, and a mic when I am away, and so I really am looking at multitracking "on the go".

Like the sound of MultiTrack DAW, but I do use virtual instruments so ideally would like Midi. I first used a Steinberg Windows DAW in 2001, ironically called Cubasis (no relation!) They will get the modern day version into shape I am sure. It has loads of promise - if only it all worked as intended!

It's great fun exploring what is possible on iOS - almost like learning a new language. It actually reminds me of what it was like exploring DAWs in the early days, when lots was either not really possible, or there were bugs hiding in unexpected corners. Things have stabilised and matured so much these days on Windows that thankfully I find it's a rarity to notice technical issues getting in the way of creativity.

• @BillS said:
    Also, is there a decent iOS amp sim that will allow multiple instances using different settings? I got AmpliTube free when I bought iRig Pro so I don’t mind paying for another one!

The to be released gain stage might suit your needs

See few clips I made

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7mh5d3kqs7cvyz/gain stage clip 3 clean preset.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrcfm38hjg1xrfu/Gainstage clip 6 with dub delay.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrcfm38hjg1xrfu/Gainstage clip 6 with dub delay.wav?dl=0

• @hisdudeness said:

@BillS said:
    Also, is there a decent iOS amp sim that will allow multiple instances using different settings? I got AmpliTube free when I bought iRig Pro so I don’t mind paying for another one!

See few clips I made

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7mh5d3kqs7cvyz/gain stage clip 3 clean preset.wav?dl=0

Would you happen to know how soon this will be released?

• @BillS said:
    If you are a fan of Nembrini, they will be launching AUv3 versions of their amp sims. Igor hopes these to be available by the end of February. Their Marshall and Soldano VSTs are amazing!

Did not know about this.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• @CracklePot said:

@hisdudeness said:

@BillS said:

See few clips I made

Would you happen to know how soon this will be released?

Not sure ..

• Well this morning I have certainly made some progress. Used two instances of Tonebridge for guitar parts, a free bass guitar setting in Bias FX, recorded some vocals and used some built in midi drum loops that come with Cubasis 3.

There were a few weird moments, like one of the Tonebridge instances suddenly stopping processing the guitar parts. I was able to reset this however. Cubasis crashed when I adjusted a pan setting. Thank goodness it auto saves. Not being able to glue audio parts is a pain, but I can live with it.

But yeah, despite its idiosyncrasies, Tonebridge is a real find, so thanks for the heads up. Some great tones and a huge amount of content. Slowly getting there with this new iOS multi-tracking world.